Carbs in Fruit

TammieDeeRob45
on 5/9/12 10:09 pm - Camden On Gauley, WV
 I was wondering if the Carbs in fruit are as bad for you as the Carbs in bread or pasta .. I have been craving Bananas ALOT and need to know if they can mess up my weightloss..I know there are 39 Carbs in a medium Banana..I've been making my family a big bowl of cut up Bananas and Strawberries with the sugar free strawberry gel and sugar free cool whip and I sprinkle in some Splenda. My husband and 16 year old son are both Diabetics....Would this be ok for me to eat on top of my cottege cheese?

TheBiscuit
on 5/9/12 11:17 pm - TX
A quick glance at Livestrong puts 1 ounce of strawberries at around 9 calories(2 carbs), the jello at 10 calories, Cool Whip at 20 calories (3 carbs) and 1 ounce of banana at 25 calories (6 carbs). Calorie wise, you could get away with it. How much of these would you be eating? Carb wise, you're already loading on some carbs with the cottage cheese. The additional sugars from the strawberries and bananas really aren't a good choice if you're looking to stay around 40 carbs a day. You'd basically knock out your entire carb allowance for the day in one meal. If that's okay with you, and you plan on eating nothing but straight protein the rest of the day, go right ahead. You just need to keep track of your totals.
VSG: 10-13-2011
SW: 287
CW: 178

moonglo82
on 5/9/12 11:27 pm
VSG on 03/29/12
It really depends on your surgeon's eating plan.

Like Biscuit said, if you are planning to keep your carbs under 40/day, this might not be the best choice because then you'd be stuck eating only straight protein for the rest of the day. I'm diabeti (you mentioned family members that are, not sure if you are or not?), and I know I have to balance out my carbs throughout the day with protein so that they don't spike me too badly. Granted, since surgery my sugars have been awesome, and I'm not even on diabetes meds anymore, but still.

However, if your doctor allows more carbs, this may not be terrible.

Ultimately, it's your eating plan; you get to make these decisions, and some things you may have to learn through trial and error. Just make sure you are tracking every bite you eat so that you know where you fall for the day, and if you don't like what you see on that log, then do better the next day.

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

LaughingCow
on 5/9/12 11:37 pm - VA
VSG on 02/01/12 with
You will get mixed reactions to this question. Many people have their best results when they avoid carbs altogether. What slows one person's weight loss may not affect another person's.

Personally, I eat carb-rich fruits and veggies. My general rule is that if it is a raw, fresh fruit or vegetable, then I think it's okay to eat. I also eat a little bit of grain-based carbs, so clearly I'm not as strict as others.

You could always try it and if your weight loss slows, then you can stop and chalk it up to a lesson learned. The fact that you're craving bananas (as opposed to some junk food) makes me wonder if your body needs something that is in them.
Amy
VSG on 2/1/12 with Dr. Halmi
Mom78
on 5/10/12 12:32 am
VSG on 02/10/12
I eat a quarter of a banana daily in my smoothy. I think carbs from fruits is totally different than the bad carbs.

I didn't have the sleeve to avoid all healthy foods besides proteins the rest of my life!  I would try it as others said, if it causes cravings or stops your loss, makes a gain, then maybe take it out.
                   SW: 227              GW: 150            HT: 5'6"  

Cortnee Z.
on 5/10/12 1:31 am - Murrieta, CA
VSG on 04/04/12
Hi there. I went to a support group meeting on monday and the leader said fruit and veggie carbs don't count! They are the good ones and you can have what you want :)

But it's all your personal pref and NUT's opinion to go on!! I personally have never gained weight eating fruits and veggies :)
Cortnee 

"Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn" Harriet Beecher Stowe

Blog: 
http://mysleeveandme.blogspot.com     MFP: CortneeZ
TammieDeeRob45
on 5/10/12 1:38 am - Camden On Gauley, WV
 Thanks everyone fr your comments and advice..I appreciate it and @ Biscut I would be eating about 1/2 cup on my cottage cheese and I would stay away from Carbs for the remainder of my meals That day..I've always loved sweets and it's kind of away to get my sweet fix from Something healthy instead of cakes or cookies..There's n sugar except what naturally comes in the fruit..and barely any carbs as compared to the "Bad" carbs anyway..it's good to get other insight into this though..thanks again 

AmberK
on 5/10/12 1:41 am
VSG on 03/07/12 with
 Ok, my personal opinion is......None of us became obese by eating too many fruits and vegetables! Some don't agree about eating them, but they are foods that God has given us, not processed junk! 

VSG 3/07/12     HW:260   SW: 249   CW:164  

AngieB2011
on 5/10/12 1:58 am - MD
VSG on 03/19/12
Right. Have you ever seen a fat rabbit?  Hahaha...
AngieB2011
on 5/10/12 1:56 am - MD
VSG on 03/19/12
I agree with what a lot of people have already said. Fruits and veggies are different from the carbs found in refined foods.

As it petains to carbs, my plan says...

If it's white, do not bite. *smile*

Most Active