Constipation and laxatives

Stronger1
on 5/11/12 5:01 am - Charlotte, NC
Hey guys,
Wondering if laxatives are dangerous to our sleeves?  I've been having problems "going", no doubt due to my meat and cheese heavy diet right now, and lack of fiber.  I feel so bloated and I'm thinking I need a laxative.  I tried a few days of Miralax with no results.   I think it may be too mild.  Pre-sleeve I would drink magnesium citrate...it's gross but effective.  But I'm not sure if it's safe for us.   Any other suggestions for quick release?  How about Smooth Move tea?

Cortnee Z.
on 5/11/12 5:03 am - Murrieta, CA
VSG on 04/04/12
I use smooth move tea - started 2 days ago and I LOVE IT!! I have been going 5-7 days between BM's and now I am going every day! I don't have any problems and I feel GREAT! I love that it's herbal and works! I was actually doubting it would, but man, it works!!

Good luck!
Cortnee 

"Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn" Harriet Beecher Stowe

Blog: 
http://mysleeveandme.blogspot.com     MFP: CortneeZ
Mom78
on 5/11/12 5:17 am
VSG on 02/10/12
They use miralax now for colonoscopies.  If you increase the doses, say 3 times a day, it will clear you out, without dehydrating you! 

I've dealt with it my whole life, unfortunately, my two lil boys have it to.  They take the miralax as well.

Not sure about the safety of other laxatives though! 

SW: 227              GW: 150            HT: 5'6"  

emelar
on 5/11/12 5:27 am - TX
There's no problem doing it as a one time fix - mag citrate or Milk of Magnesia.  There's no issue with laxatives and the sleeve.  But laxatives are addicting in the sense that your colon with "forget" how to work for itself and become dependent on them.
judyk62
on 5/11/12 5:40 am - Santa Rosa, CA
I use smooth move tea as needed, usually at least once a week. My doctor said it's perfectly fine to use it daily if needed. Very safe with the sleeve and gentle.

HW: 284: SW: 274: CW: 152.8. Goal: 159  

Pooch2
on 5/11/12 5:50 am
Yea MOM can help but I gag on that chemical mix and will not take it.... How about 2 doses of Miralax, AM and PM but I can tell you that adding some veggies and or an apple today will get me moving tomorrow.  Since your probably cleared for some veggies and fruit, they are the best for me, I go up to 40 carbs day from them and that's enough to keep me moving, with only having to use Miralax if am too busy to shop and get fresh fruits and veggies or am too much in a hurry.....  The veggies and fruits keep me regular.  I did  have to cut back on cheese, its hard to fit much cheese into a 700 calorie day.    Your mileage may vary!   
HW: 425    SW: 337   CW: 262 GW: 217 (surgeon)  
Pre-surgery loss; 88 lbs (mostly in my required 6 month insurance class)
Mom4Jazz
on 5/11/12 6:07 am
Laxatives won't hurt the sleeve - they work in the intestines - but they can be habit forming. Maybe use a stimulant laxative to resolve the immediate problem, then come up with a preventive plan. Some strategies:

A dose of stool softener every day (Colace or store brand equivalent)
Fiber supplement (you don't need a huge amount with what you're eating)

Some folks take a half dose of Miralax every day - it's not habit forming either.

I did the first two during my loss period. Now that I'm in maintenance and a little higher carb, I do more fiber and only a half dose of stool softener every day.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

Stronger1
on 5/11/12 6:46 am - Charlotte, NC
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!!  I'm going to try more doses of miralax per day when needed.  I took two doses a day for two days and nothing happened, so maybe I can up it to 3 until the issue is resolved.
Thanks!

Faye56
on 5/11/12 7:09 am
VSG on 07/19/11 with
Miralax can take up to 5 days for me when I am very constipated. If you want it to work faster double up on the amount you are taking per day. (that was Dr.'s advice for me) It is not habit forming either - just pulls water in to the colon. Just make sure you drink a lot of water.
Good luck!

"Encourage instead of criticize.  Love instead of hate.  Hope instead of doubt. Give instead of take.  Trust instead of worry.  We open our hearts to others so that they will be prompted to open their hearts to God"  Lucy Swindoll

dec721
on 5/11/12 7:44 am - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
I was taking up to 8 Colace tablets a day for a while for some action.  Then I developed restless leg syndrome and began to take magnesium tablets for that.  All of a sudden I was totally LIQUID!  Realized that magnesium works as a stool softener, heh heh.  So I changed over to magnesium, but if I plug up for a day or two I'll pop a few Colace to get things moving again.  We all have our tricks :-)  Just make sure your trick doesn't regularly include a stimulant laxative, or you will be in trouble.
--Dorothy 

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 76 views