I won't be able to eat like I used to

Suzanne B.
on 5/23/12 12:02 pm, edited 5/23/12 12:04 pm - OR
                  I won’t be able to eat like I used to eat. 

Hi Everyone,

Believe it or not, this is one of the main explanations I hear from people as to why they don’t think they want to have weight loss surgery. Come on, that is how you got FAT and remained FAT—eating all that food. I never feel deprived at all—I promise you. I have a restrictions now of a “VSG aka Sleeve." I am the first one who will tell you that the 1st month after WLS is the toughest months that you will ever have to do. That is the month that you have to reprogram your head(big job) to do and reprogram your stomach that it is OK to eat small amounts of food. It takes quite a while to learn how to eat small amounts of food without your ridiculous brain trying to convenience you that you should be eating more. Our brains love to play tricks on us. 

So many of us call this brain thing a “head game." Because; honestly we DO NOT NEED all the food we used to eat—that is how you got fat eating all that food. It also takes time to learn to eat small tiny bites and to chew, and chew, and chew (about 30 chews) to each bite, until the food almost feels like liquid in our mouth before we swallow it. In my past, I inhaled my food before I had weight loss surgery. Stop and see how many times you chew your food now before you swallow it—I bet 2 or 3 times and you are talking and shoveling more food in all the time you are eating.

So, I want you know that it is possible to NOT feel deprived. It is possible to learn to eat healthy and yummy foods and occasional have a small amount of desert too. You need to have your head in the right place and want to have your WLS more than anything you have ever wanted to in your life.  It does require work on your part, the fat will NOT just melt off of you without work on your part –making healthy food choices for me I ate about 800 calories per day and felt very satisfied. Also some exercise really does help. I know most of us have really never exercised much—I was one of those—I hated it because it was difficult to do when I was FAT. Find some form of exercise that works for you and that you like and will keep doing it. For me, I LOVE to walk, and I have been walking more than I used to. It doesn’t require a gym fee or fancy clothes. You already know how to walk. Just get a good pair of shoes, socks and away you go. I am now walking 4 miles a day 7 days a week. 

I don’t want you to give up on yourself. Come on make the pledge to put yourself FIRST and be the thin and healthy person that is screaming inside of you to come out! I am always here if you have any questions or need help or support. I have a favorite doctor and like a lot of you, he helped me change my entire life. It is never too late to make that change.  
Hugs, and take care of YOU!
Suzanne
Sleeved 10/21/2008
Lost 105 pounds and have kept it OFF
Suzanne B
Eugene, OR
Dr. Aceves
10/21/2008 
Start lbs 225
Now 120
Cindy22706
on 5/23/12 12:17 pm - California, MD
VSG on 02/08/12
So right now, I am 4 months out (almost) and am still bummed about not being about to stuff myself with steak and cheese subs :(

I dont regret my decision, I just miss scarfing down food.

pedirn06
on 5/23/12 12:31 pm
VSG on 01/26/12
I am about 4 months out also and bummed at times that food does not taste the same.  That is not a bad thing - so many of the foods I used to love now do not taste like I remember them tasting.  Funny how that is.......For example, I have always loved cheese - it now tastes very salty to me.  I cannot hardly stand the taste of fried foods.  However,  I just keep looking at different recipes and experimenting.  Sometimes one of them works out really well and it is such a treat.  Tonight I made the Egg face mini chocolate muffins with almonds, strawberries, blueberries and low fat cream cheese (3 with each addition) - they were really good. 

It is worth the trade.  I was sitting at the table this weekend and my daughter was making cookies - she makes the best cookies btw- her dad picked up a cookie and ate one - picked up another one and broke it in half - handed 1/2to me and without thinking.....yep I ate it - sugar cookie.  I thought for sure I would go into a carb crave frenzy - but nope - not at all!  It is SOOO wonderful not to have that driving sensation to eat anything carb loaded in sight. I did get a sugar rush - the cookie was probably 2 inches in diameter and I ate half - about 2 minutes later  felt kinda light headed and shaky for 1-2 minutes.  Scary how sugar can affect you when you have not had it for so long.

But yes, it is funny -  I have a 4 lb chihuahua that can eat more than I can and maintain a weight of 4 lbs!  Gotta love it.

pedirn06

Suzanne B.
on 5/23/12 12:51 pm - OR
On May 23, 2012 at 7:31 PM Pacific Time, pedirn06 wrote:
I am about 4 months out also and bummed at times that food does not taste the same.  That is not a bad thing - so many of the foods I used to love now do not taste like I remember them tasting.  Funny how that is.......For example, I have always loved cheese - it now tastes very salty to me.  I cannot hardly stand the taste of fried foods.  However,  I just keep looking at different recipes and experimenting.  Sometimes one of them works out really well and it is such a treat.  Tonight I made the Egg face mini chocolate muffins with almonds, strawberries, blueberries and low fat cream cheese (3 with each addition) - they were really good. 

It is worth the trade.  I was sitting at the table this weekend and my daughter was making cookies - she makes the best cookies btw- her dad picked up a cookie and ate one - picked up another one and broke it in half - handed 1/2to me and without thinking.....yep I ate it - sugar cookie.  I thought for sure I would go into a carb crave frenzy - but nope - not at all!  It is SOOO wonderful not to have that driving sensation to eat anything carb loaded in sight. I did get a sugar rush - the cookie was probably 2 inches in diameter and I ate half - about 2 minutes later  felt kinda light headed and shaky for 1-2 minutes.  Scary how sugar can affect you when you have not had it for so long.

But yes, it is funny -  I have a 4 lb chihuahua that can eat more than I can and maintain a weight of 4 lbs!  Gotta love it.

Hi,

I agree we do learn that things don't taste like they used to--sad some times. I don't do good with fried foods either. And sugar is something that sends me over the edge like you.  I have learned to bake using flax seed flour, almond flour and then using Splenda when I want to make something.  I found a Low Carb cookbook that has a lot of great things in it.

I have also learned to cook entirely different that I ever used to.  Sometimes for me just tasting something satisfies my need to eat the whole thing.  I am like you I would never trade for my old fat life.  I love my new thin life and feeling good and healthy.

Keep doing all the things you are doing.  You are going to be very successful.

Hugs,
Suzanne
Suzanne B
Eugene, OR
Dr. Aceves
10/21/2008 
Start lbs 225
Now 120
Suzanne B.
on 5/23/12 12:42 pm - OR
Hi,

I hear what you are saying.  I remember sitting and watching someone eat a cheeseburger and I thought I will never be able to eat that ever again.  Well what I learned was that I could it about 1/4 of a childs cheeseburger and it really did satisfy all my needs to have a cheeseburger.  You don't NEED to eat the entire thing to fill that void or need.  Sometimes just the taste of it works for me.  Savor the food in your mouth and enjoy the flavor and chew it a long time.  Give it a try in a few months and see what you think.

Hugs,
Suzanne
Suzanne B
Eugene, OR
Dr. Aceves
10/21/2008 
Start lbs 225
Now 120
stephintexas
on 5/23/12 12:33 pm
I can eat whatever I want and a pretty large amount, nowhere near compared to the past but enough to maintain and not lose, if I so crazily choose. I somedays wish I could only eat less. However, it's like curly haired people, they want straight. Straight haired people want curly. Human nature and all. :)

Suzanne B.
on 5/23/12 12:44 pm - OR
On May 23, 2012 at 7:33 PM Pacific Time, stephintexas wrote:
I can eat whatever I want and a pretty large amount, nowhere near compared to the past but enough to maintain and not lose, if I so crazily choose. I somedays wish I could only eat less. However, it's like curly haired people, they want straight. Straight haired people want curly. Human nature and all. :)
Hi,

I loved what you wrote and how you said it.  We all have different ways of dealing with things. We all do what we need to do when it comes to eating.

By the way  I had straight hair then had WLS surgery, some of my hair fell out and now I have a nice curly to my hair--LOL.  So I am now enjoying my new curl in my hair.

Hugs,
Suzanne
Suzanne B
Eugene, OR
Dr. Aceves
10/21/2008 
Start lbs 225
Now 120
bbearsmama
on 5/23/12 1:39 pm
RNY on 02/28/13
Bookmarking this, Suzanne!!

"B" bears' mama from Texas
Follow my journey on youtube: "bbearsmama" 

SW: 210 CW: 123.6

Sleeva
on 5/23/12 1:50 pm - GA
VSG on 07/19/12
How do you bookmark?..Thanks
Suzanne B.
on 5/23/12 2:50 pm - OR
On May 23, 2012 at 8:50 PM Pacific Time, Sleeva wrote:
How do you bookmark?..Thanks
 Hi, if you scroll up to the very top of this page you will see BOOKMARK. Just click on it and it bookmark this page. 

Suzanne
Suzanne B
Eugene, OR
Dr. Aceves
10/21/2008 
Start lbs 225
Now 120
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question