Ruggie's back from plastic torture surgery

ruggie
on 6/10/12 10:28 am - Sacramento, CA
 Hi Gail -

Thanks so much for your positive energy and wishes - I really appreciate it!   I know I'm complaining about pain but remember my tolerance is low. And every day is better. 

Let me know if you decide on plastics!

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

Linda B.
on 6/10/12 2:26 pm - CO
VSG on 09/13/12
Hi Ruggie,
Glad to have you back. While I haven't had a surgery as extensive as yours, the few times I've been sliced open, I was told to keep up with the pain meds because it is so much worse to try to bring the pain level back down as opposed to not letting it get too bad to begin with. Since you have a low pain threshold, look on the bright side, at least you don't have to deal with having babies LOL. Seriously, take care and take it easy.
MILLERSDAUGHTER
on 6/11/12 6:06 am - Lewisport, KY
VSG on 04/07/11 with
Ruggie:
I've been a nurse for 30 years.  Seen lots of post-op patients.  Sometimes, narcotics are not the only answer for pain.  Keep taking the Percocets but also call your doc and ask for a muscle relaxer.  You had a lot of muscle tissue distrubed and traumatized.  That tissue is very prone to spasm and spasms of cut muscles hurts like a MF.  If the surgeon will give you a muscle relaxer, take them in between the percocets so that you are never without any medication in your system.  You might find that with the muscle relaxers, you can space out the Percocets. 

Also, if you haven't tried a heating pad on a low setting, try that.  It keeps the blood vessels dilated so that the area has a better blood supply = healing.  That dilation may increase bruising/swelling but may help the pain.

Also, just like after VSG, the quicker and the more you move, the better.  Despite the pain now, you will be in less pain later if you move now.

Lecture over.  Can you tell that I am a nurse/mom?  Also here is the best medicine that can be given and a sure fire cure all.....
  I just kissed it and made it better.  Always worked wonders on my kids.  Never tried it on a patient though, for obvious reasons!

Hope you feel better soon.
     Never, never, never give up!
...though she be but little, she is FIERCE...
A Midsummer Night's Dream
maxie1
on 6/11/12 8:48 am - PA
RNY on 06/10/13

Glad you are on the road to recovery... Take it easy.

susan

susan                                                                                                
(deactivated member)
on 6/11/12 9:59 am
Don't know how I missed this post late last night, but I did!

Sorry you're having such pain. I had heard it sucks big time - that the pain is extraordinary (and not in a good way). So, did you do the tummy tuck along with skin removal, or just the skin removal and butt lift? Just curious.

You know I'm thinking about you and hoping you're getting better everyday! I have my first plastic consult on the 25th. Getting excited and nervous. May still wait, but want to get opinions on getting the LBL and abdominal skin removal - don't think I need the TT. If I decide to go ahead and persue now, you better believe I'll be calling you for that referral!

Be well, friend!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 66 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 251 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 319 views