When is it "safe" to stop losing?

Crabadams72
on 6/15/12 4:20 am - Silver Spring, MD
I am officially 1 year out and have lost 117 pounds from my highest weight. Back in Jan when I saw my Dr I was 157 (5'5) and she told me I was below "her" goal. (((My program does not set a goal weight, nor are they lo-carb as far as a eating plan is concerned))

At that visit I told her I wanted to be 145, that was my goal and right at the high end of the BMI chart ((she isn't into that either)). Well I made 145 in February and today I am 126. I hope to get to 125 and stop.

The big BUT, and there is always a but--right?
I have feared the process of slowing things down. I found reward in seeing the numbers drop (although it is really slow at this stage). This losing process is bringing me joy that I do not get from work or just the day to day blah's.

I am eating more, I added greek yogurt and protein bars, before I only ate 3 times a day. Pretty bland like my premier shake, grilled chicken and spinach salad for lunch-or dinner left overs and then 3oz protein for dinner with a small amount of veggies.

I have read stories about regain. Then I observe the maintenance vets and observe what makes them successful. I feel like I CAN do it but it is scary to stop losing. At the same time the more I lose-the less womanly I feel. I like having some curves. I am not willing to sacrifice my shape just to say I can wear a 00 or a girls size 16. I can already get in some 0's-which I find utterly bizzare.

VSG 6/10/2011  Dr. Ann Lidor BMore MD 5'5 HW-247 SW-233 GW-145 CW-120

http://www.youtube.com/user/72Crabadams   Me rambling about my journey : )

debk21
on 6/15/12 6:59 am - Mansfield, TX
If you are where you want to be and you're ready to stop losing - you can.  I know the fear you're talking about.  I was scared to death going into maintenance.  Just up your calories about 100 per day and stay there for a couple weeks, if the scale keeps going down, up it another 100 until you find the right balance.  Get your body where YOU want it to be and I think you'll be happy with yourself.  I know what you mean about the satisfaction of losing and that you might miss that.  For me, I was terrified of bounceback so my scale satisfaction comes from staying within a 3 pound range of where I want to be.  When you hit that sweet spot every day, it's also very gratifying.  YOU CAN DO THIS!  Just take it one day at a time.  {{{Hugs}}}

Deb

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

Hislady
on 6/15/12 7:05 am - Vancouver, WA
Don't put too much emphasis on numbers because 2 people that are built the same can have a big differrence in weight but still look the same. When you feel comfortable and still a bit curvy then that is when to stop not by a number on a scale. The main thing is that if you start to gain you address it right away and not wait until it's too far out of control. Any change is scary, so just take it one day at a time.
hwag5149
on 6/15/12 7:11 am
you should check out the maintenance board... not that I know where it is! 

I know they say they welcome people well before maintenance all the way into it. They probably have a ton of tips

HW 380.8+  SW- 371.4  CW- 234.4  GW- 200 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views