sleeved on the 13th and am hungry

Lexi2012
on 6/18/12 3:03 am
VSG on 06/13/12
 hi all

i was recently sleeved last wednesday and the liquid diet is just not enough for me. I am hungry and getting irriated from just liquids only. grrrrrr   i still feel some discomfort but am really tempted to try yogurt or eggs or potatos.  did anyone begin the soft foods early? and if you did how did it feel?
Lexi         
sutherngrl94
on 6/18/12 3:08 am - Raleigh, NC
I did try soft foods early but I didn't even think about it until 2.5 weeks after surgery.  Are you on a PPI (proton pump inhibiter)?  When my stomach is grumbling and I think I'm hungry it's only because I have forgotten to take my PPI and it's the acid rumbling around.  Are you getting enough protein? 

Kevin H.
on 6/18/12 3:12 am, edited 6/18/12 3:21 am - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 Your dealing with head hunger or stomach acid making you feel hungry most likely.  Keep in mind that your 5 DAYS post op .. the staples holding your stomach together right now have not formed scar tissue or healed.  You are stepping into dangerous ground here by even thinking about this.  Busting some of the staples, creating a leak spilling stomach acid and stomach contents into your abdominal cavity and being rushed into emergency surgery to repair it .. will those eggs or potatoes be worth it at that point?  Somehow, I don't think it would be.  This is something that you HAVE to get through on this journey and its part of learning how to not make food such an important part of your life anymore.  You live off of your vitamins not what your eatting so please don't go against your surgeons orders this early out.  You very well might regret it.

(deactivated member)
on 6/18/12 3:17 am
I was sleeved on the 13th as well! I am focusing on getting my water, vitamins and protein down before moving on to soft foods. How does your body feel? I still am reliant on pain meds ( I had a hiatal hernia repair as well). I have not lost any weight yet but I know it will have to kick in eventually. Good luck on your journey!
C_INheavy
on 6/18/12 6:15 am
VSG on 08/13/12 with
Hi, I was wondering, because I haven't had my surgery yet, but at this point do you think you could go back to work in 2 more days? I know that sounds crazy, but I was interest.

I wish you the very best on your journey and hoping that everything you want will be yours.
Lexi2012
on 6/18/12 3:29 am
VSG on 06/13/12
Thanks all...it may be head hunger...I'm getting irritable, no i do not want to injure my tummy...but i need variety, water, soup and protien shakes are just boring. i do still take pain meds and am getting in 50 grams of protien a day.

my body feels a little discomfort only around the larger incision other than that i can move around fine

it probably is head hunger, How do you defeat that?

Can i have ice cream?
Lexi         
(deactivated member)
on 6/18/12 3:40 am
Hi, I'm going to be a little harsh, but it's in your own best interest. You can stop reading right now, if you want. Here goes.....

You need to get your head in the game. You just had about 80% of your stomach amputated. You don't need variety you WANT variety. The next couple of weeks you will just have to suck it up and get over the cravings and desires. Use this time to start relearning your relationship with food.

No, you should not have ice cream. It has no nutritional value at all. It will most likely cause you to crave sugar and simple carbs even more than you are doing now. Ice cream is a soothing food. Find another way to soothe your emotions through this hard time you're having.

If you are on full liquids already, get some Greek Yogurt and thin it down with SF Torani syrups and eat that. High in protein and treat like, especially if you soft freeze it.

The only way to defeat the head hunger is to get in the mindset that you are going to be successful and that cravings are just that - cravings. You don't need to act on them. I often tell myself I can have what I'm craving tomorrow - just not today. That has worked for me. If I still want it the next day, I may have a taste, but usually the craving passes within an hour and I'm done with that issue for the time being.

You will face many battles along the way. Each battle you win, will make you stronger for the next one.

You have had this radical surgery to help you take control of food and your issues surrounding food. You can do this. Just drag yourself out of the mindset you're in (it'll be hard to do) and get on a different path.

It took courage to have this surgery. Use the same courage to get you through this difficult time without veering off program.

kaniac
on 6/18/12 3:45 am - TX
VSG on 06/12/12

HW: 270 SW: 234 CW: 168 GW: 150 

Lexi2012
on 6/18/12 3:48 am
VSG on 06/13/12
 Thanks for the kick in the butt.... It has been a battle and it hasn't been easy...5 days out and i still have discomfort, i'm easily frustrtated and i just want this first month to pass quickly.  i knw it takes patience and i know i must change my relationship with food, thx for the perspective

I will try to change the mindset,  I like your idea of putting it off til tomorrow :)  i will try that
Lexi         
mom2domandant
on 6/18/12 3:50 am - CA
VSG on 04/24/12
 Sugar Free popsicles were my go to food when I wanted something other than water and protein shakes.  They taste yummy and you can count them towards you water intake.

HW: 276 SW: 264 CW:153.4 GW:155 M1: 21lb M2: 14lb M3: 11lb M4: 12.4lb M5: 10.8lb M6: 7.6 M7: 9.6 M8: 6.4 M9: 4.2 M10: 4.8 M11: 3 M12: 2.8 M13:?

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 75 views