How much lettuce can you eat?

4evercaligrl
on 6/20/12 4:37 pm
 I have been watching my carbs very closely lately and since lettuce seems to have the least amount per serving, I have been having lots of it.  I usually put 3 Oz of chicken breast cut up on top of 1-1.5 cups of lettuce and 6 cherry tomatoes and that is my dinner.  I can eat it just fine and Im wondering if that is normal?  It looks like such a large plate full so im a little concerned.  

getmylifeback12
on 6/20/12 7:16 pm - NY
I think if you can tolorate it....I dont think there is much nutritional value to it. But you do get some water from it. As long as you include it in your carb. totals and eat it with protien. Seems like a large amount though. As some of the wise people on this forum say....you should UNDER eat your sleeve. Personally, if I am in the mood for salad, I choose greens like spinach and arugula (sp?) the darker green leafy veggies have more nutrients than iceberg lettuce.
doggz109
on 6/20/12 7:57 pm - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
I can't eat that much at all.....1 1/2 cups of lettuce?  Seems like quite a bit.

I am five months out and occaisonally I make a taco for dinner and use a romaine leaf in place of the shell and then fill it with chicken, ground beef, or fish and a little bit of cheese/salsa.  I'm usually able to finish one of those.

I used to love raw spinach salads pre op and tried that a few weeks ago.  I was able to get in maybe 1/4 cup but my sleeve was not digging it yet so I haven't tried it again. 

I can handle tomatoes/onions no problem.  I have homemade pico de gallo frequently or a slice of tomato with my protein.

Jasonm11
on 6/21/12 1:28 am
I've been measuring my meals in tacos for a year now lol....of course, I eat tacos 6 nights a week and most days for lunch though...so that could be why lol....your taco comment made me laugh....a year out I can eat 1-1.5 tacos depending on how slow I go....if they are extremely good, I can do 2 in 45 minutes.....usually reserve that for when I miss a meal....

To the OP:  I can eat a lot of lettuce.  It goes right through me I guess....and I have also found that eating lettuce unfortunatly can increase the amount of other foods I can eat.  So be careful of that.  It could be a slippery slope to start down.  I would say I have no issues eating 1 cup of loosely chopped lettuce with 3 ounces total of protein, no dressing.  Would take about 20 minutes at most.  15 months out.

HW(2-19-11) - 375    SW(3-9-11) - 362.5    CW - 204    GW - 220
Reached 100 pounds lost from highest weight at 3.5 months post-op!!!
Reached 100 pounds lost since surgery weight at 4.75 months post-op!!!
Pkrplyr777
on 6/20/12 8:04 pm - CT
I can only eat about 1/4 cup of lettuce with a few bites of tomato, about 1 slice, a small slice of onion or pepper. I put an ounce or two of some meat on top but then I cant eat the whole thing.
I dont like to eat until really full because it's so uncomfortable.

Loving the idea of taco's on a romaine leaf!
Thanks
donna
  HW/233 *  SW/212 * CW/133 *GW/132 * 100 Pounds of FAT gone FOREVER!

Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple~Dr.Suess            
desertmom
on 6/20/12 8:36 pm - Dubai, XX
VSG on 03/13/12
Hi,I suppose it depends on when you were sleeved and how big your sleeve was from the beginning.

However,you still get the right amount of protein and thats great.A meal like that is still low calories and as long as you dont keep increasing the total portion size (stomach will get use to a little more and a little more) and as long as you are not uncomfortalbe when finished,I can not see anything wrong with a meal like that.

Im only 3 months out and can eat 2.5 oz of protein with about .4 cup of lettuce with a tiny little bit of feta and 20g of sweet potato and then I dont always fini****

O,and it depends on the cup size as well of course...lol

Enjoy!
doggz109
on 6/20/12 8:45 pm - CA
VSG on 01/12/12

Isn't 1 cup the same amount everywhere?  Just curious.

desertmom
on 6/20/12 9:50 pm - Dubai, XX
VSG on 03/13/12
Hi,go and open the cupboard where you keep your cups and see if they are.

doggz109
on 6/20/12 9:57 pm - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
I don't use drinking cups to measure my food....but ok.

Jasonm11
on 6/21/12 1:30 am, edited 6/21/12 1:32 am
I may be wrong but I'm thinking this commentor, being that her surgry was in Dubai, is somewhere were a cup isn't a standard measuring size. A cup is about 236 ml in volume.

Or maybe Dubai is her location.....hmmm I don't know what all that means over under the name....but either way, cup is generlaly an american measurement....

HW(2-19-11) - 375    SW(3-9-11) - 362.5    CW - 204    GW - 220
Reached 100 pounds lost from highest weight at 3.5 months post-op!!!
Reached 100 pounds lost since surgery weight at 4.75 months post-op!!!
Most Active