maybe no one knows?

starry957
on 7/9/12 11:42 pm
Hi everyone - this "feels" like my home group even though I haven't had surgery yet...lol
Anyway, I posted this question on the main board but no one responded - Maybe they just don't know..lol
Can someone give me the names of some good websites that compare the three big weight loss surgeries, specifics, stats, etc...(VSG,RNY,DS)?   Also...wondered what the resulting size of the stomach pouch is in each of these surgeries (I think it's measured in cc's?)..
Thanks so much!
Kerry

January 8th, 2013 - VSG with Dr Paul Sullivan (St Joe's Toronto)

TonjaTLC
on 7/9/12 11:55 pm - Southlake, TX
I did each surgery individually and compared them on my own. You can also do a search on here regarding the pouch. Good luck in whatever you decide.
Surgery Date:  April 4, 2012 Offical Starting Weight: 304      
starry957
on 7/9/12 11:56 pm
ok thanks...what do you mean search on here re: the pouch?

TonjaTLC
on 7/10/12 12:00 am - Southlake, TX
 At the top of the page is a search bar and you can search for anything.  Try searching stomach pouch size, or something of the sort.
Surgery Date:  April 4, 2012 Offical Starting Weight: 304      
Snowberry
on 7/9/12 11:57 pm
VSG on 04/10/12
 This is the only one I've seen:

http://www.lapsf.com/weight-loss-surgeries.html 

starry957
on 7/10/12 2:52 am
thanks - to all of the above!

Carmelita
on 7/10/12 4:00 am, edited 7/10/12 4:02 am - Four Corners, NM

On the LapSF info on VSG. MISINFORMATION inc:

the SIZE of the sleeve...does START out at that capacity at time of VSG...but doesn't END at that. By years end. 8-12 oz capacity.

There IS dumping syndrome in VSG..although so uncommon you will never see a stat on it.
Dumping syndrome on simple/refined sugars as in RNY is called "reactive hypoglycemia" reacting to a particular food -refined sugars

Dumping syndrome in VSG is called alimentary hypoglycemia...and we can dump on any food, as in partial gastrectomy, any stomach only surgery. This type of dumping syndrome is ALSO common in people who NEVER had WLS.

I KNOW from 1st hand experience. 2 of 3 dumping episodes for me...were on PROTEIN BASED foods! lo carb, lo fat
Foods I commonly ate before, and after my dumping episodes..yet had no effect other than the single occurance. 6 months post op...I NEVER experienced dumping syndrome again.

http://www.lapsf.com/weight-loss-surgeries.html
Ms. Poker Face
on 7/9/12 11:59 pm
There's dsfacts.com for the DS.  There is also a VSG FAQ site but I don't have the address.  There's tons of RNY info available if you do a google search.  I'm not aware of one site that compares all of them in one spot.

The resulting stomach size isn't standard for any of the surgeries.  It depends on lots of factors, such as anatomy (taller people can have longer stomachs for example), surgeon technique, surgeon experience, patient compliance to eating plan (overeat often enough and you can stretch the RNY pouch or possibly the VSG stomach), etc etc.

Your best bet for chosing a surgery is to research the ins and outs of each one and then pick the one that will suit you best.  VSG leaves you with no intestinal re-routing (unlike RNY and DS) so that's a good fit for some people.  DS requires a lifetime of vitamin and supplement requirements but is a very powerful surgery for weight loss, so that's a good (or bad) fit for some people.  RNY can be helpful in diabetics (so can other surgeries, but RNY tends to be better for some reason).  And on and on.

Welcome!  And keep reading.

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

starry957
on 7/10/12 3:06 am
thank you...

lucy2e
on 7/10/12 12:43 am - Laurel, MD
My surgeon has some info in his seminar powerpoint that might be helpful.  Go to his website's online seminar info: http://mdlapbarisurge.com/default/online-seminar.

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 317 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views