What foods/snacks should I take on vacation?

Zacki F.
on 7/12/12 1:14 am - LA
VSG on 06/12/12
I'm going on vacation next week and will have at least a 12 hour drive (one way).  What are the best foods or snacks for me to pack.  Fast foods are a no no so I want to be prepared.

favrow812
on 7/12/12 1:16 am, edited 7/12/12 1:17 am - Olathe, KS
VSG on 02/20/12
take a small cooler with snack size cottage cheese cups, string cheese, turkey pepperoni, greek yogurt, hard boiled eggs

we are going on a float trip this weekend and thats whats packed in my cooler for the drive down there!

There is only one success--to be able to spend your life in your own way.

Zacki F.
on 7/12/12 1:20 am - LA
VSG on 06/12/12
Cool!  I like all these, except I've never eaten cottage cheese.  What does it taste like?

louisamay
on 7/12/12 1:26 am, edited 7/12/12 1:29 am
VSG on 04/27/12
What she said. Great list!

Without a cooler, I took cheese sticks (Sargento 2% fat) and protein bars in my purse. The protein bars are not something I'd recommend when there are other options, but they made viable alternatives in a pinch. They helped me stay on the right side of the calorie count and had enough protein to not trigger carb cravings for me. (Other people might have a different reaction, though.)

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

Zacki F.
on 7/12/12 1:47 am - LA
VSG on 06/12/12
What protein bars do you recommend?  I've been wanting to try some but don't want to load up on calories.

louisamay
on 7/12/12 2:04 am
VSG on 04/27/12
That's a good question to ask the group at large.  I have a kind that I like the taste of that I have eaten for snacks for years, but they are 200 calories which isn't really a great calorie count.  As I said, I took them as a fallback and was glad I had them, but in your case they wouldn't be necessary or even a good choice.

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

Most Active