Donating Blood

jenngirl
on 7/24/12 4:54 am
VSG on 06/25/12
Anybody know how soon after surgery you can give blood? There is usually a shortage in the summer months and I always try to give around my birthday which was last weekend. I am not sure that my iron is high enough, but I know they check that before you donate. Anyone have any idea?
Shagdoll
on 7/24/12 4:57 am
I have no idea when is the earliest you can donate blood but you might want to check with your doctor. I've donated blood a couple times since surgery. The first time was around 5 months post-op and then again around 9 1/2 months. The gal I spoke to at the Red Cross told me they always have WLS peeps donate blood but I have a sleeve friend who told he his patient handbook instructed him to never donate blood again. I never checked with my doctor but I probably should have.

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Erica A.
on 7/24/12 4:57 am - KY
 Found this chart on the giveblood.org website. Hope it helps! Find the surgery or the skin graft you are looking for and read the comments for that operation. Surgery or Skin Graft Comments
Major surgery performed in hospital/surgery clinic (no blood used) You can donate if you have resumed normal activities
Major surgery performed in hospital/surgery clinic - blood transfusion received You must wait one year after surgery to donate - even if autologous blood was used
Minor surgery performed in MD office You must wait one week to donate
Lasik/cataract surgery You must wait one week to donate
Skin Grafts - Autologous You must wait six weeks after the graft to donate
Skin Graft - Allogeneic You must wait one year after the graft to donate
Bone Graft-Allogenic (purified cadaver bone used for dental, lumbar, etc., graft) or Autologous You must wait six weeks after the graft to donate
BIO-OSS dental graft You must wait six weeks after the graft to donate
OASIS non-cellular graft You must wait six weeks after the graft to donate
Heart valve graft (porcine) You must wait six months after the graft to donate
Transplant - Solid Organ from Animal source You cannot donate

Goal 60% by 6 mths (143lbs) reached at 5.5mths

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Erica A.
on 7/24/12 4:59 am - KY
 I too have also donated twice since surgery at about 4 months and at 6 months 

Goal 60% by 6 mths (143lbs) reached at 5.5mths

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Pobearsam7