day 3 post-op

susanjean
on 7/26/12 10:11 pm - IN
I feel worse today than the other two days.    My question is,,,, how many ounces do I drink every hour?   Since I had so much vomiting after surgery, my doctor is keeping me on clear liquids until next week.   Also the liquid pain meds made me so sick, so when I was discharged, they sent me with a a precription of viocodon.   Is it safe to swollow a large tablet right now

Ms. Poker Face
on 7/26/12 10:53 pm
My days 3-4 were the worst and at day 5 I really turned the corner. Everyone is different though.

As for drinking, just get in as much as you can. Keep sipping, almost constantly. I know others have had a strategy for how much to drink how often... maybe they will stop by and share. Dehydration is your biggest enemy right now, so keep sipping!!

If they sent you home with liquid pain meds, do not take tablets unless you call them and get their ok. Your doc is there for you, so call him when you need him... this sounds like a good question for him. Conversely, I stopped pain meds at around day 4 and after that I really started to feel better. So consider your pain level and whether or not you need them at this point.

Sip, walk, rest, repeat!

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

Shagdoll
on 7/27/12 2:24 am
Ms. Poker Face's post is right on! You literally have to sip, sip, sip constantly. My water bottle was glued to my hand everywhere I went, even to the bath room!!! Being so early out, you are at a high risk of dehydration if you don't get enough liquids in. Dehydration happened to me once before surgery and it's not a good feeling at all... I was throwing up, feeling sick to my stomach & with the worst headache ever. My surgeon told me it's the biggest and main complication among VSGer's in their 1st month. The great thing is, we can prevent that from happening. I know it's a pain at times but believe me, it will get better.
Take care!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views