Clothing advice needed

reneemosley
on 8/1/12 3:34 am - WA
VSG on 05/21/12
OK. How did you all handle buying clothes? I am in an 18 from a 24/26. I have cleared out my closet and taken clothes to consignment, but only found one pair of pants that fit. I have two pair of jeans and about 6 tops that fit.
Did you buy new clothes and the give them away later? Deal with what you have? wear them too big?
I feel so much better if clothes fit but don't want to break the bank and end up with too much too big.

What are your thoughts?

Band 5/2006          Revision to VSG 5/2012

vogue
on 8/1/12 3:41 am
VSG on 08/30/12
CLEARANCE RACK QUEEN is what they call me... dont buy a lot but at places liek Old Navy, $100 can go a LONGG way... I got a shirts for less than $5... jeans for about $10... dresses for $15...

consignment shops are cool if thats your thing, in my neck of the woods, there isnt a big financial savings but ya will definitely find some cute things...
Kelly-AnneH
on 8/1/12 3:53 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
You are brilliant! I sure do love clearance racks! I've shopped the end of season clearance racks at Penningtons for years. Time to start looking at other stores.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Kelly-AnneH
on 8/1/12 3:50 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I decided to buy 2 pairs of yoga pants (I can get away with them anywhere I go - I love my life!) and 3-4 tops at each size as I lose. I can fill in at local thrift stores.

I actually ordered the yoga pants online and have them neatly folded into a drawer in the guest room, so that when what I'm wearing starts to look pitiful I at least have pants. I've already had to have 1 emergency clothing intervention. Darn.

I was only able to buy down to size X, but figure I'll be more willing to try on clothes I store by the time those are getting loose. Besides, my sis was wearing size 1X yoga pants when she had her surgery and has already started putting "my" clothes into a box as she shrinks.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Lisa S.
on 8/1/12 4:04 am - NV
VSG on 07/09/12
Goodwill, Salvation Army, Savers, etc. I just got 4 pairs of jeans (old navy, daisy fuentes brands) for me, 1 pair old navy jeans for my 6 yr old and 2 paperback books and only spent $11. Just go in and really look thru the racks. You can find great deals. I won't feel guilty if I only wear them for a few weeks then give them away.

Shagdoll
on 8/1/12 4:23 am
For some reason, I could not stand wearing clothes too big during my weight loss. I felt like a frumpy hot mess.
I was lucky to get some clothes from friends up until I was a size 14-16, then I had to go out and buy clothes then which was fun. Be a little careful when buying new clothes that fit perfect because more than likely, they would be too big a few weeks later.
Now I buy my pants when I cannot zip them up yet, lol. I'm wearing a pair of pants today for the 1st time that I bought about 3-4 weeks ago. When I tried them on, I couldn't get them past my hips and now I can & they buttoned just fine, yay!!!
I've been buying a lot of sale stuff at Old Navy. I've been able to find pants anywhere from $5-10. Kohl's clearance racks are great too.

Jenn  

WWBD?  

INgirl
on 8/1/12 5:34 am
For the first couple sizes (started at a 24/26 at least. LB24's were tight. I went baggy,  then it was a routine of Goodwill Store hunting regularly, and trying to find good thrift stores. Kind of time consuming- but hey, the $$ savings when you do get lucky (and you will much more often as you drop into smaller sizes) add up fast. If you can locate a couple really good thrift stores, even if they don't have a lot on hand that fits you now.. you'd be surprised when you check back in 2-3mo. I had a limited wardrobe during the fastest drop, just because I knew I wasn't going to be in them long. Tops are more forgiving depending on the style..

I got rid of anything that didn't fit right then, and would pre-shop.. just as the jeans/pants started fitting good- I'd hit the stores for the next size down. It was a regular routine.. bag clothes for donation, come home with more! I really only started re-building my clothes wardrobe as my loss leveled off to where I think I will be within a size or so max. I did find an amazing thrift store though, so I've managed to not have to buy hardly any new full-price stuff at all. 

moonglo82
on 8/1/12 6:09 am
VSG on 03/29/12
This is pretty much exactly what I'm doing, except that I can't wrap my brain around shopping a size down yet lol... I need to get on that! :)  And my loss isn't anywhere near leveling off yet, so it'll be a while before I even consider buying new unless it's on a clearance rack somewhere.

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

ambercarr
on 8/1/12 6:46 am - OH
I have been lucky in that I have been able to borrow clothes from family.  I have only had to buy a few pieces here and there.  I have had to buy new undies and bras, I am not interested in sharing those items! LOL

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 287 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 338 views