worry wart

starry957
on 8/5/12 1:30 am, edited 8/5/12 1:36 am
Okay, I know I'm probably one of the ones who has asked a million questions on here.  Now, on to my next "worry"....I wonder if anyone else "worries" about feeling scared to eat???  Sounds nuts, I know...but I am worried that I might be so scared to vomit, etc....after surgery, that I will be afraid to eat...does this happen ?  has it happened to anyone?  I mean, I realize, I will eat but I feel like I will be nervous....
and then.....I wonder if I will lose too much weight (which I definitely do not want to happen)....it might sound strange to some, I dunno...but I would rather be relaxed, healthy and not get to goal, than undereating, feeling unwell and look gaunt at goal....anyone relate to any of this?  am I bizarre or semi-normal here?...lol

Thanks,
Kerry

January 8th, 2013 - VSG with Dr Paul Sullivan (St Joe's Toronto)

Pobearsam7
on 8/5/12 1:46 am
I was the same way
I was afraid too of throwing up w/ my new tummy but I've been fine, only threw up for the leak test, I was given 6 oz to drink real fast, for the test, which was the 1st ime my new tummy had liquid threw up 30 mins later, the doctor knew this was going to happen.
I was terrified during the leak test I thought I messed up my new tummy,.. I was terrified to drink anything after the expierenced I had w/ the leak test.... But I have had no problems since then and I'm 5 wks out...not scared to eat or drink anymore...

Kelly                

michieluvsu
on 8/5/12 1:46 am - WA
 Kerry,
    You are not alone. I am pre-op and am having some of those exact same feelings :(

Michele

Catmama
on 8/5/12 1:56 am - NV
Kerry,

Don't be afraid to eat.  Your body needs the nutrition to heal itself from major surgery.  My doctor had me on a liquid diet for two weeks after surgery and I didn't have any problems with vomiting.  Just take it slooooow!  A protein drink may take an hour to get down.  Just remember...sip, sip sip and don't drink too quickly. 

You are totally normal to have these feelings!  This is a life changing event and everyone has their challenges.  Just follow what your surgeon and nutritionist tell you and you should do well.

starry957
on 8/5/12 4:19 am
thanks everyone....the process is moving pretty fast for me, and I guess I'm seriously looking at what life will be like after.  I have observed pics/stories, etc...of others who have had surgery - mostly those who had DS/RNY and, I don't know, I see some that I think don't look well??  Know what I mean?  And then I think, "what if I'm one of the ones that goes under goal weight, looks horrid, can never "eat" properly again...etc"  I don't want to live like that or look like that or feel like that.  I will probably be someone that follows the orders to a T, but still worry about how my body will respond to the surgery....

Kerry

January 8th, 2013 - VSG with Dr Paul Sullivan (St Joe's Toronto)

Debbie R.
on 8/5/12 9:37 am - Cedar Hill, TX
VSG on 02/27/12
I was throwing up alot before surgery from eating all the crap food. I didn't throw up at all after surgery I just felt pressure to burp which felt like I was going to throw up but I never did. Hang in there that is a good question You will do fine if you follow your surgeon's plan!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 402 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 430 views