What life is like 4 years after having sleeve surgery

Suzanne B.
on 8/15/12 3:53 pm, edited 8/15/12 3:55 pm - OR
Hi Everyone,

If you are sitting out there with a lot of questions like I was 4 years ago, I want to tell you that I was 63 when I had my surgery in Mexicali, with Dr. Aceves—I believe he is the very best you can find to do your surgery. I lost 105 pounds and YES I have kept it off for 3 years now. It took me 14 months to lose 105 pounds. 

My ONLY regret is that I didn’t have it done sooner. It is unquestionably the very greatest thing I have ever done for myself! I will be honest and tell you that the 1st month after surgery will be the hardest month you will ever have to do. During the 1st month you will be making lifestyle changes, letting your body heal, and start to retrain your “OLD" thinking brain to the new ways in life—this is a struggle because you “Old" thinking brain has been used to ALL the food you have been eating all your life. But, it is only 30 days and you can do this! It is NOT a miracle cure, it is a tool to allow you to lose the weight and maintain it for the rest of your life.

What is a typical day in my life like now? I want you first to know that I do not ever really feel hunger anymore—again your old brain will try to tell you that you are hungry—we call this “Head Hunger" because it really isn’t real.  Now I just know that I need to eat small amounts of healthy food during the day. I have now changed how I cook and I now crave healthy things—I know it is hard to imagine that you will do this, but it is true. Yes, I do have desert –but I have learned how to bake in a healthy way. I have a great Low Carb Cookbook that allows me to eat a lot of things I loved in my past life and they are healthy now.

So this is what my day is like:

·         I get up about 7:00 am put on my walking clothes and shoes and go for a nice brisk walk for 2 to 3 miles with my husband. Believe me I didn’t start out walking brisk or this far. Do the best you can, but do SOMETHING for exercise. Sometimes in the evening we will walk 2 more miles.

·     
I return home take a shower and for Breakfast I have a Premier Protein Drink. I still to this day have a protein drink for breakfast and that is all I need.

·        
I do all the normal things anyone else does during the day, like clean the house, grocery shop, laundry, and plan the meals, work in my yard. I am also own my own business where I am an Instructor in 1st Aid, CPR and AED to people in my community.

·        
Lunch usually is some kind of a salad or I have some protein—usually chicken, with some fresh veggies, some fresh fruit.

·        
I have an afternoon snack, maybe something that I baked from my Low Carb Cookbook. There are some great products that are healthy to have too. There are all kinds of things you can snack on that are OK ·         Dinner is always about 2 oz of some kind of protein. I eat, chicken, fish, or Pork. I eat very little red meat—and I always loved red meat in the past, but I found out that my tastes have changed a lot after I had surgery. I always have some kind of fresh veggie, maybe in a form of salad and then fresh fruit. I eat about 1,000 calories a day sometimes a little more depending on how much exercise I do. I NEVER feel deprived.

Part of keeping the weight off is finding ways to cook that make it taste good. You can learn to convert some of your old recipes to being healthy too. I do have desert, but not every day. Sometimes just the taste of something will satisfy your need for it. Food NO longer controls me I now control the food and the amount.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask me. I just want you to know that you can be this successful too. I have written a lot of things over the past 4 years, and I have information for those who are thinking about having surgery if you want any of it. You can be successful too. 

I remember thinking what if I am the ONE person this will not work for, because I failed at everything else. So you are not alone, because many of us have thought all the same things that you have. I think the best things that you can do, is ask all kinds of questions. Check on who is doing your surgery. Like anything there are good and bad doctors out there, and I want you to be safe and have the very best you can have.  

Hugs,
Suzanne
Sleeve 10/21/2008
Lost 105 pounds
Suzanne B
Eugene, OR
Dr. Aceves
10/21/2008 
Start lbs 225
Now 120
sleevegirl
on 8/15/12 4:01 pm - Austin, TX
Congrats, Suzanne. I really do believe that making those lifelong changes is where the success really is at. You've done remarkable. So happy for you!

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Suzanne B.
on 8/15/12 6:28 pm - OR
On August 15, 2012 at 11:01 PM Pacific Time, sleevegirl wrote:
Congrats, Suzanne. I really do believe that making those lifelong changes is where the success really is at. You've done remarkable. So happy for you!
Hi,

You are so right.  It has to be a lifestyle change.  Something that you will do the rest of your life.  And honestly it is good and easy to do. 

I wish you great success.

Hugs,
Suzanne
Suzanne B
Eugene, OR
Dr. Aceves
10/21/2008 
Start lbs 225
Now 120
hshelley386
on 8/15/12 4:10 pm - IN
thank you for sharing. It's what all of us on the fence need to hear!
Suzanne B.
on 8/15/12 6:30 pm - OR
On August 15, 2012 at 4:10 PM Pacific Time, hshelley386 wrote:
thank you for sharing. It's what all of us on the fence need to hear!
Hi,

I know and that is why I keep posting on these boards.  I want you to know that you too can be successful.  This is your answer to permanent weight loss forever.  This is ALL about you and NO one else.  If diet and exercise worked for everyone, then we would have already lost the weight.

Take the leap of faith and go for it!  I am always out here if you have questions or need ANYTHING!

Hugs,
Suzanne
Suzanne B
Eugene, OR
Dr. Aceves
10/21/2008 
Start lbs 225
Now 120
Countrygirl77
on 8/15/12 5:30 pm
thanks for sharing!!! you have done great
Debbie M.
on 8/15/12 5:50 pm - Orient, OH
VSG on 01/30/13
 Congrats on your success. You are an inspiration to us who are just starting the process of having surgery!   

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"

Suzanne B.
on 8/15/12 6:32 pm - OR
On August 16, 2012 at 12:50 AM Pacific Time, Debbie M. wrote:
 Congrats on your success. You are an inspiration to us who are just starting the process of having surgery!   
Hi,

I want you to know that you can be where I am in a few months.  I want people to understand that this does WORK.  We have all tried everything else and not been very successful at it.  I am always out here if you have any questions or just want to talk and ask questions.

Hugs,
Suzanne
Suzanne B
Eugene, OR
Dr. Aceves
10/21/2008 
Start lbs 225
Now 120
cancelsbronx
on 8/15/12 6:47 pm - Stamford, CT
Congratulations, your story is very inspiring.

Regards,

Santos

Suzanne B.
on 8/16/12 4:48 pm - OR
On August 16, 2012 at 1:47 AM Pacific Time, Santos. C. wrote:
Congratulations, your story is very inspiring.

Regards,

Santos
Hi Santo,

Thanks, so much.  I write these posts, because I want other people to know that this is real and they can be where I am.  I have never said it was easy--it does require a lot of work.  I learned a lot about myself and my eating habits.  And it has been great.  I never want to go back to where I was.  I wish you great success in your weight loss journey.

Hugs,
Suzanne
Suzanne B
Eugene, OR
Dr. Aceves
10/21/2008 
Start lbs 225
Now 120
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views