2nd day post op....here's the scoop

danzeppelin
on 8/16/12 10:03 am
VSG on 08/15/12
So I checked in at 7 a.m. Surgery was scheduled at 9 a.m. I was pre-admitted the day before. So everything went real quick. They took me down and got me stripped down into a robe. The surgery cap and surgery boots, basically went through all of the prep, iv inserted, etc. They took me back into the operating room, and that's the last thing I remember. I remember them giving me a shot, but nothing after that. Next thing I knew, I was waking up in the recovery room.

When I came to, I was having problems catching my breath.The gas pain was pretty rough. I was in recovery for a few hours. Got to my room, they were giving me a few ice chips to suck on. The ice chips were wonderful. I am hooked up to a morphine pump. I wanted to walk while I was in the recovery room, but they wouldn't let me. Once I got into my room, I wanted to walk. My doctor came in and seen me and I told him I wanted to walk. He said that was the best thing for me. So I started walking, and I've been walking and sipping and both has helped me a lot. All the vets say walk, walk, walk, sip,sip, sip, rest, repeat... Do It! That helps so very much

I didn't sleep much for sure. The gas pain in my shoulder and under my ribs was probably worse than my stomach pain.. I sleep with a CPAP machine for my sleep apnea and my mask doesn't work with their machine and they couldn't find me a mask that would fit properly. My pulse ox got down to 76%... Won't have to worry about that anymore, as my wife brought my CPAP machine in today. I'm going to rest for a little while, then go walk and sip and chew on ice.

I've had a little nausea, the morphine seems to make me nauseous...

Everybody here at the hospital is so wonderful. They're all very caring, just beautiful people. I feel so blessed. My nurse is just the best.

I thank OH members for your support. These boards have helped me prepare for this surgery so much. I don't know what I'd do without you guys. Knowledge is power. There is some great information on these boards. The search feature in the upper right hand corner is a wonderful thing. Use it!!

Thanks again for all of your support!!!

morgans
on 8/16/12 10:05 am
VSG on 06/18/12
Congratulations!!

You'll be feeling much better in no time. I promise!

Bf516
on 8/16/12 10:07 am
positive healing vibes to ya!
gabriellaz
on 8/16/12 10:31 am - CA
VSG on 07/02/12
Yay! Welcome to the losers bench! You are doing awesome

Cinderella50
on 8/16/12 10:50 am - NY
VSG on 08/29/12
Congrats!!

neecie1123
on 8/16/12 10:50 am - NC
 Yay!  Glad to hear from you.  I was hoping you'd post an update on how you were doing.  Sounds like it was pretty uneventful thus far; thats the kind I'm hoping for too.  I am so glad you're doing well and I know you will be glad to go home soon where you will be much more comfortable.  Please keep us posted on your progress!
synthangel
on 8/16/12 4:51 am, edited 8/16/12 4:51 am - NV
VSG on 11/02/12
 Being pre op I appreciate your detailed account of your experience. Congrats and best of luck to you in this healing process :)

*edit cause I wrote post op instead of pre op lol
danzeppelin
on 8/17/12 7:13 am
VSG on 08/15/12
You are going to do great! As I reply to you, it's day three. I feel so much better today.. Walking around the hallways since six this morning. I feel so much better today! Better everyday

vsgman
on 8/16/12 12:34 pm - CT
Congrats, worst is over all down hill for discomfort and weight from here!
Pinkone
on 8/16/12 3:10 pm - Des Moines, IA
VSG on 08/13/12
Congrats! I had surgery Monday, so I'm right with you. Came home yesterday (Wed). I will totally agree about the morphine pump. Once I got off that, much of the nausea went away completely. Walking helped, too. The biggest pain for me was in my shoulder from the anesthesia. Once that got out of my system, things were better, too. I had a little heartburn last night overnight, so I took some prescription meds sent home with me. Only one pain pill dose since I got home though!
Tracey    
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views