Ideas for snack foods

starry957
on 8/22/12 7:05 pm
Hi all:  In trying to plan ahead, etc....and not being a good cook....and always being in a rush...and with two small kids....what are some ideas for easy to make/portable snacks for myself post-VSG?  I'm feeling like it's going to be very challenging to have things "ready" for me to grab, when needed, because I'm always running around with the kids, etc...

Any ideas?  I know there are good websites for bariatric recipes, and I've looked at some of them...most "appear" to be a bit more like meals, multiple-ingredient recipes....I'm looking for easy and I'm looking for quick and portable.

Thanks!
Kerry

January 8th, 2013 - VSG with Dr Paul Sullivan (St Joe's Toronto)

Marie M.
on 8/22/12 7:16 pm - PA
For snacks, I'll grab almonds, string cheese, Greek yogurt.  I make chocolate peanut butter protein fudgsicles that I always have in freezer to grab.  PB2 on celery or apple slices is always good.  Quest protein bars are delicious and a qucik on the go meal replacement.
I am not a cook either.  I usually spend Sundays cooking simple meals (usually 5 ingredients or less), divide them up into 3 oz portions, and freeze.  That way I always have something I can pull from the freezer at the las minute.  The worst thing for me is to look in the fridge...and there's nothing VSG friendly!

Good luck~!
Marie

Age: 50    Ht: 5' 3.5"    SW: 261   BMI: 45.5    CW: 119.4   BMI: 20.8   Goal in 9.5 months   (23.6  lbs below goal)   Total lost:  141.6 lbs   Inches lost:  84.25"
  Month one: 22.2 lbs;  Month 2:  17.4 lbs;   Month 3: 11 lbs;  Month 4: 13 lbs;  Month 5: 11.4 lbs;  Month 6: 9.2 lbs;   Month 7: 13.2 lbs;  Month 8: 9 lbs;  Month 9: 10.2 lbs;   Month 10:  3.6 lbs:   Month 11:   7.6 lbs   Month 12:  5.8 lbs                                    

starry957
on 8/22/12 10:06 pm
you don't have any trouble eating apple peel or almonds?

elaine-is-ready
on 8/22/12 8:33 pm
VSG on 03/19/12
 My favorite meal/snack is 2 oz of rotisserie chicken (from Walmart) that has about 106 cal, I think.  I buy a whole chicken once a week or so, divide it up in 2oz packages, ziplock bags or little plastic cups work well, and get about 9-10 servings from each purchase.

I also mix some greek yogurt (2 oz) with protein powder (Nectar truffle is my favorite) and Torani sugar free strawberry or red raspberry syrup and a bit of extra cocoa powder. It has about 30 grams protein and under 150 cal.  You can make these in advance, though maybe not too far in advance. I also get the 60 calorie beef jerky tender cuts packages.
An ounce of nuts is also good.

HW= 305        pre-op wt loss= 35 lbs
VSG date: 3/19/12
Marioksig
on 8/22/12 8:50 pm - Santa Clara, CA
 Im right on board with the Almonds, String Cheese and Greek Yogurt..... those have been key items to my success. They make great flavored almonds for variety, I enjoy Wasabi, Honey Mustard, Smoked, Salt and vinniger... I buy them in the 100 calorie packs from Amazon and have about 100 pouches in my desk at work... 
starry957
on 8/22/12 10:07 pm
so you're ok with the almonds - I think I've heard on here somewhere that some VSGrs have had difficulty with nuts....I hope I don't

heathermc44
on 8/22/12 9:41 pm - Bremerton, WA
My favorite on the go snack are beef sticks by ostrim.  They are 2 ounces of beef and ostrich meat.  They taste like pepperoni sticks but I think they are healthier.  You can order packs of them on-line like through amazon.  I found a place in town that sells them.  I generally get a box with 12.  I keep a few in my purse so when I get hungry, they are right there.  

starry957
on 8/22/12 10:08 pm
how are the sulphite and preservative content in those?

Kelly-AnneH
on 8/22/12 10:45 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I make mini flax muffins and keep them in the freezer:
1 cup flax meal
4 Tbsp coconut sugar (super high in potassium. Use Splenda if you prefer)
4 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
4 eggs
2 Tbsp water

Mix well and bake in mini muffin pans. Makes 20, each with 58 calories, 3.8g fat, 2.4g carbs, 1.4g fibre, 2.4g protein. These are small, but tasty and very filling. For me, at least, 1 muffin is a Fredful. Bonus - these taste good enough to share. Nobody will notice that you only ate one.

I also keep wrapped 1/2 sandwiches in the freezer, made with high protein, high fibre, low calorie bread and either turkey cold cuts or sliced cheese. Each 1/2 sandwich contains 168 calories, 9g carbs, 3g fibre, 10g fat and 11g protein. I can eat most of a 1/2 sandwich. My dog cheerfully helps when I'm done.

A slice of the same bread, toasted and spread with 1 Tbsp light peanut butter yields 150 calories, 15g carbs, 8g fat, 4g fibre, 9g protein. Once again the dog comes to the rescue when I run out of space.

We keep small ziplocs of cooked turkey bacon in the freezer. Each has 2 slices of bacon - 50 calories, 2g fat, no carbs or fibre, 10g protein.

My husband loves Pillars Turkey bites. Each has 50 calories, 2.5g fat, 1g carb, no fibre, 5g protein.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Pobearsam7
on 8/23/12 12:44 am
Kelly Anne are you using Julian bakery bread??? Just curious

Kelly                

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 402 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op