HELLLLLP!!!!! Suggestions Pls.

Ladybug C.
on 8/29/12 5:22 am
VSG on 10/11/12
So Im almost ready for the OR and the only thing left to do is get medical clearance from my family doctor. I spoke with him briefly about having the surgery some months ago and he didnt like the idea of the surgery. He knows Ive been struggling with this weight for YEARS he feels I can lose it myself. Over the years hes given me prescription drugs, sent me to a nutritionist and is aware of me joining gyms all in effort to lose weight. Well Ive lost but it always comes right back, plus some. 

I have no medical issues that would prevent me from having the surgery but I know when I meet with him to have him sign this form he is going to give me a hard time. 

I feel its my life and although his personal believes for my life are well respected, he should also take into consideration how I feel and how my body feels. 

I have some thoughts but I need you guys to give me some suggestions on how to handle this......did anyone else have this issue? 
MaryContrary80
on 8/29/12 5:28 am
VSG on 09/04/12
 If you are already at clearance for surgery, didn't he have to send a letter or something already saying he was ok with you doing this? I don't know, I feel like if he blocks you at this stage of the game that's a low blow. I really hope that doesn't happen and I can't imagine he would do that to you now. Anyway, good luck, I just had mine yesterday, it was like a little physical, she wished me luck and that was it. 

Ladybug C.
on 8/29/12 5:35 am
VSG on 10/11/12
Hi ...No my family doctor didn't have to write a letter....I attended a program through the hospital where the surgery will take place. You had your what yesterday? Your surgery or your medical clearance?
MaryContrary80
on 8/29/12 6:09 am
VSG on 09/04/12
 Sorry! My medical clearance appointment was Monday, and my surgery is Tuesday. So, do you have a surgery date, then? 

I guess, if I were you I would just go in and make sure it's clear to him you are doing this and that it is best for you. Honestly, if it comes down to it, which I hope it doesn't, and he refuses you, I would just tell him that you know this is the way it has to be and you will have to switch doctors if he can't support your decision. I know that's awful and no one would ever want to say that, but I think he needs to realize that you've done your homework and this is what you are doing to save your own life and you will find a doctor who will support you. My doctor isn't in love with the idea of WLS for everyone, but she knows my history and she said for me it's a good option.  

Amy 2bhealthy
on 8/29/12 6:12 am - STL Metro, IL
VSG on 09/13/12
My Dr had to write a letter stating I was medically stable pending all preop blood work, testing, etc. This seemed to satisfy what was needed. Do you think this would work and/or be sufficient? I don't think my PCP was 100% on board either, but she did write that letter. Hopefully you can get something to work.

Amy

Revision: Realize band to VSG....loving my sleeve!! 

louisamay
on 8/29/12 6:47 am
VSG on 04/27/12
I'm assuming the clearance is just a check that your heart, etc. are up to surgery, not his blessing.  I bet you could even get that from another clinic easily if you need to.  Ask your surgeon's office for advice if you think it's going to be a problem.

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

Mom4Jazz
on 8/29/12 6:53 am
Medical clearance is about your health more than anything. Get a copy of your records and ask the surgeon's office for a referral to a doctor to examine you for medical clearance. You can decide whether to change doctors for good or stay with your existing PCP later depending on how supportive he is post-op.

Good luck!

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

red42897
on 8/29/12 7:39 am
VSG on 08/20/12
 His personal opinion has nothing to do with saying you are physically ok for surgery. He shouldn't refuse, I really don't think that is ethical.  Tell him if he would like to include his opinion he can but you need the medical facts. 

If he refuses kindly ask (in person or on the phone) the surgeon to call him for you.  

HW:280 SW: 259 CW: 181.2

Ladybug C.
on 8/30/12 8:23 am
VSG on 10/11/12
Ladybug C.
on 8/30/12 8:26 am
VSG on 10/11/12
Thanks to you all. Yes my doctors opinion is just that  and I pray that he go ahead just medically relase me despite what he beleives I can do. After all I am his patient not his child. Hey worse case senerio....I will change have to change doctors and thats the bottom line!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views