Low carbers-Did you start that way right after surgery?

Amy 2bhealthy
on 9/19/12 7:15 pm - STL Metro, IL
VSG on 09/13/12
 I am wondering if those of you who have followed the low carb plan, if you started that way right out of surgery. Meaning did you worry about the carb intake while you were still on full liquids? I am starting week two, which allows thinned soups. Most soups have more carbs in them than I would plan to have, so I wasn't sure if I should just avoid them or have some of it while going through these phases. 

Also, since you thin these down, did you still only eat/drink the couple ounces? I had some thinned out yogurt tonight and just ate a tablespoon since I didn't want to overdo it. 

Thanks!! 

Amy

Revision: Realize band to VSG....loving my sleeve!! 

INgirl
on 9/19/12 7:40 pm
I did- I didn't have too much of a struggle with it- most soups were within range (at least the ones I liked) and since it was 10 days clears, 10 full liquids, 10 purees.. I pretty much stuck with broth & protein powder & Syntrax Nectars & Cytomax the first stage, strained cream soups with some protein added, or chicken soup, half & half & protein, slightly thicker/milkier shakes like Premier etc the second week, then moved onto cottage cheese, greek yogurt, cheeses, ricotta bakes, pureed beans with cheese & gy the third week.. 

When on liquids, I ate slowly (the thicker stuff with my sleeve felt very filling for a little while) but I would have a "meal" of maybe 3-4oz before lost interest.. sometimes with stuff like a thinner creamed soup- I'd finish a mug, but that mug had my dose of protein in there too.. It's a good idea to test stuff out as it gets thicker, slower. I remember trying my first thicker protein pudding and realizing after a T or two, I was DONE.
KathyA999
on 9/19/12 7:52 pm
I didn't worry too much about carbs till I got to the "all foods as tolerated" stage, at 30 days out.  I figured the first 30 days are more about gently re-introducing things to a seriously pissed-off tummy.  So I ate things like thinned Malt-o-Meal and oatmeal (things I don't eat today).  Also thinned refried beans.  I did go for the sugar free or NSA things like SF pudding, natural applesauce, etc. 

In terms of quantity, I ate what my sleeve felt comfortable tolerating and didn't worry a lot about tracking what I was eating, again until I got to "all foods as tolerated."  I doubt I got a full 600-800 calories until that stage, or maybe a few weeks after.

What I really wanted to focus on during that time was drinking.  (Haha, re-reading that sentence makes me laugh.)  I had plenty of stored energy to make up any deficits in eating, but dehydration can occur so fast it'll make your head spin, so I wanted to avoid that.  And I felt like I didn't have a lot of room in the beginning for both food and liquids.  I did drink a lot of protein drinks, (and still do) which killed two birds with one stone so to speak.

Good luck!

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

pineview01
on 9/19/12 12:53 pm, edited 9/23/12 4:51 am - Davison, MI
I started low carb for my pre diet before the band.  Before the band was out.  I am doing it now hoping to be ready if I can get the sleeve!

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

ib40
on 9/19/12 7:56 pm
Not me. I basically lived off of cream of potato soup for the first couple of weeks after surgery. That and protein shakes were my sustenance during that time. Now I do low carb, but the first few weeks are about keeping food down, tolerating what we eat, and being kind to our healing tummies.

jubjub
on 9/19/12 8:40 pm - Palm Desert, CA
VSG on 06/25/12
I started 2 months prior to surgery.  I was at a higher overall calorie level (1200 was my daily target) but had a 40g carb target which I hit 90-95% of the time.  I lost 35 lbs pre-op in 2 those 2 months. 

I also gave up diet coke.

I figured the less "transition" I needed to do post-op the better.  I feel like i had a great surgical outcome and an easy transition into post-op eating because of it.  

Heaviest: 313/VSG Pre: 295/Surgery: 260/Maintenance target:190 - Recent: 195 (08/15/19)

1st 2015&2016 12-Hour Time Trial UMCA 50-59 Age Group
1st 2017 Race Across the West 4-Person 50-59 Age Group
4th 2019 Race Across America 8 Person Team

pineview01
on 9/23/12 12:00 pm - Davison, MI
Thst is my plan also.  I am trying to get and keep the weight off until I
can get the sleeve.  I'm down 55 pounds since the first of the trying to
hold in there until I can get the band.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

(deactivated member)
on 9/19/12 8:56 pm
Yes,  I started eating under 40 carbs right after surgery, well actually, two weeks before surgery.  I put myself on a protein shake diet for the pre-op diet.  My doctor did not really tell me to do it, I just chose to because it made all of this feel real.
Happy966
on 9/20/12 4:03 am

OK, I had almost no swelling after surgery.  I could drink water very easily the first day they gave it to me and never had any difficulties past that.  I could *easily* drink 8 oz of broth, over 15-20 minutes.  Some people on this forum gasped (virtually) but brothy soups go right through me.  I eat a lot of soups today, and I usually eat the broth first and then the meat (almost always chicken). 

If the soup was thicker, I was a lot more cautious.  I applaud your trying to be careful.  Focus on fluids, not foods.  Don't worry about eating "enough" of anything but protein.  Eat careful.  Less is better. 

As for low carb, I was definitely low carb right after surgery, and always under 40 g for at least the first 3 or 4 months.  I never did the applesauce or mashed potatoes, I had plenty of low carb options and I know from past experience those foods wouldn't fill me up and could make me even hungrier.

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

Crabadams72
on 9/20/12 4:49 am - Silver Spring, MD
I started cutting carbs during my 6 month waiting period. After surgery I used unjury soup and added unflavored protein to broth. So yes, my focus was on liquids, protein.
VSG 6/10/2011  Dr. Ann Lidor BMore MD 5'5 HW-247 SW-233 GW-145 CW-120

http://www.youtube.com/user/72Crabadams   Me rambling about my journey : )

Most Active