Do you feel like you are lying????

ERnurseMN
on 9/20/12 8:26 pm - MN
So now that I am down 64 lbs LOTs of people are coming up to me and asking my about my weight loss.  I really didn't want to tell many people about my surgery not because I am ashamed of it (not at all I am thrilled about it) I guess I just wasn't planning on it. 

When people come up to me and ask me how I have lost all this weight I feel like I am lying to them if I don't say I had WLS.  So now I am telling everyone that asks me.  I also make sure to point out that I follow a eating plan and exercise. I also record everything that goes into my mouth. 

People have been really supportive and nice about it and I haven't encountered any negative comments.  In fact there are several people at work that are now planning on having consults to see if this is an option for them.

Anyone else feel like they are lying if they don't come out and say the had WLS?

CW 232 SW 219    m1-17 m2-14 m3-13 m4-6 m5-9  
wwjdmommy
on 9/20/12 8:31 pm - maud, TX
Girl please I shout it from the roof tops...........don't care what people think..............Im proud of my sleeve just like you!!!!!!!! 

slimpickins5280
on 9/20/12 8:37 pm - CO
I've said this before - I've had my gall bladder removed, a hysterectomy, hysteroscopy, wisdom teeth removed, surgery on my toe nails and 2 broken noses.

I don't tell people about those surgeries. Why should I tell them about WLS?

Do you feel like surgery was cheating? If so, then you'll probably feel like not telling people about it is lying.

The only thing I cheated with this surgery is death, imo.

I never fell like I'm lying to people. I've spent the last 11 months working out 6 days a week, eating high protein/low carb, staying at 800-1000 calories. The Sleeve did it's part and kept my portions low. But this was a team effort - as the speaker in my WLS meeting said tonight.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

julyxo84
on 9/20/12 8:37 pm - Pembroke Pines, FL
 i am so open about my surgery.  no reason for me to lie about it, i am so proud of myself for getting it!
 [ Hi, I'm stefanie, I'm 28 years old and 5'3'' ]

TexasLovely
on 9/20/12 8:37 pm
 I've never really had to explain how I lost all the weight because my family/ friends told everyone, but if I ran into someone that didn't know, I'd probably still tell them. 4 people have gotten this surgery now because I was open about it, I'd feel bad if I didn't tell people that were struggling with their own weight! (Of course I only tell if they ask, how I did it)
cece58
on 9/20/12 8:39 pm - CA
 Early on I had a couple people come up to me and bluntly ask if I had surgery. One "friend" said "don't tell me you had surgery!".  On those occasions I was so shocked I didn't know how to answer so I just said it's diet and exercise. I know it was a lie but I didn't want people to know. I feel differently now. I don't care who knows about it. I am proud of my accomplishments. I don't tell anyone unless they ask. It's an uncomfortable topic sometimes because so many people don't understand WLS or how much work is involved in getting to a healthy weight. 
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us"
Lisa

carebear32958
on 9/20/12 9:24 pm
VSG on 08/16/12
In my honest opinion I  would feel like I was lying if I didn't tell people that I lost weight in part because I had weight loss surgery.  Yeah you can just say its diet and exercise but thats just putting a negative spin on it.  People who are struggling with their weight are most likely already doing that anyway, and they are gonna questions themselves about what they are doing different than what I may be doing.  The difference being that my stomach capacity is about 4 TBLSP and I only eat about 400-500 cals a day.  I also feel like I am being a positive role model/advocate for weight loss surgery.  Soo many people still think it is soo Taboo to have done or talk about.  You know what, more people should be proud of the fact they sought out medical intervention! So yes, I tell everyone and anyone, even strangers.  And I encourage my friends to tell others about it! I'd rather have people say "oh she had weight loss surgery" behind my back instead of "oh girl, you know she had her stomach stapled! There ain't no way she lost all that weight by herself!"  LOL, but thats just me, some people are more private about their lives.  I just like to live my life out loud and proud!

jubjub
on 9/20/12 9:47 pm - Palm Desert, CA
VSG on 06/25/12
 I tell people.  Most people are interested, genuinely in how I'm doing.  I am fine to tell them, and so far no one has been judgemental.  I'm sure they *want* to hear some easy secret, but there isn't one.  

I have lost too much weight for it to be explained easily anyway.  I feel that I might as well be honest, there are SO many people struggling that if I can make it easier for another person to feel comfortable looking at this option, I'd feel very good about that.

Weight, unlike other "disorders" is out there for all to see.  I couldn't hide my fatness, nor can I hide my weightloss - why not just be honest about it?  I'm not "fooling" anyone. :)

Heaviest: 313/VSG Pre: 295/Surgery: 260/Maintenance target:190 - Recent: 195 (08/15/19)

1st 2015&2016 12-Hour Time Trial UMCA 50-59 Age Group
1st 2017 Race Across the West 4-Person 50-59 Age Group
4th 2019 Race Across America 8 Person Team

(deactivated member)
on 9/20/12 10:34 pm
I have had people I hardly know practically attack me wanting to details of how I lost weight- How much have I lost, what do I eat, etc.... Now,  I have not been secretive about my VSG at all. However, I do draw the line with those who are pushy and busy-body like. So, I tell them the truth.......

..............I hardly eat and I exercise like a mad man!

Hey, it's the truth, right?!
considering2012
on 9/20/12 10:59 pm
Nope. Don't feel like I'm lying because......drumroll.......it's none of their GD business in the first place.

If you didn't raise me, marry me, or wake me up in the middle of the night so I can change you, then there is nothing between us that warrants me opening up to you like that.

Tell them you're eating less. Is that a lie? Nope.
Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 18 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 18 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 194 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 279 views