Do you feel like you are lying????

doggz109
on 9/20/12 11:52 pm - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
Nope I realized early on that it would be impossible to hide and I didn't want to lie to anyone.  All my family knew and most of my co workers (since I had to be off work for a month).

But most of my "spread out" friends didn't know.....so after I lost about 50 lbs I sent a giant Facebook post out about what I did and why.  

All I got was support....no criticism or anything.  It was liberating and now that I had no reason to hide anything.

Less stress is always better.

Stayce
on 9/21/12 4:33 am
VSG on 03/28/12
 The only people that know are my Husband and two teens, and my parents. It is no one else's business to know. Our sleeve is only a tool, it's not the only thing that helps us lose weight, you have to eat right following your nutrition plan and you must exercise. You can eat wrong and still gain weight with the sleeve. So when I tell people that I am watching what I eat and that I exercise I am not lying to anyone. 
 Life is not an emergency, live one day at a time.        
Happy966
on 9/21/12 5:29 am

My friends and family know.  Surgery falls into the category (for me) of private information, and I just don't talk about it with people that I don't discuss other private things with.

My one exception is other overweight/obese people.  If anyone who could benefit by surgery asks me (and they have), I tell them.  I do not want to mislead a fellow sufferer.  I couldn't care less how normal-weight people think I lost the weight because they wouldn't have a clue either way about what's involved.

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

chickerson605
on 9/21/12 6:01 am - La Vergne, TN
For me - I shout it out! All of my family and friends know I had WLS. This surgery saved and changed my life and if because of my journey someone else chooses to change their life for the better than I'm all for inspiring. I encourage everyone choose their own path (may not be WLS) and may be another issue.

I choose to change my life with this surgery, I'm off 6 medications, I'm able to get around easier and I'm alive again. I was ashamed of my weight I am NOT ashamed that I chose this surgery to change that and get back to living.

That's just me and maybe not everyone. I get that different strokes for different folks. Just be happy, be blessed and be a blessings.
Carolyn

Grantus
on 9/21/12 6:08 am
If people ask me how I lost my weight, I tell them. Simple as that.

If they don't ask, I don't get into it.

INgirl
on 9/21/12 7:59 am
I don't ever bring up my WLS or talk about anything diet related at all.. so unless I am directly asked How did you do it?.. it's just a non-starter for me.

When asked, yes- I say low carb, becoming active and I had medical help too, the VSG. Everyone is different, there is no wrong answer.. your own comfort level is what should determine what you disclose.. if you feel like you are lying, disclose.. no need to add that type stress to yourself. Be true to your own inner self is how I feel about it.

I told all my close friends prior, only so I could control the when and terms of how that info would come out.. it was far easier for me to talk to them pre-op and let them know the what's and why's than be asked at a get-together of mixed folks why I'm eating so damn little and losing so fast.. Plus, at least around me.. everyone is very aware of WLS and would have had a clue by then what was up. I got raving support and to this day, when acquaintances that have not seen me remark and ask, and I share- I've had nothing but positive experiences. You can't argue with a strong confident attitude. I make no excuses, I don't sheepishly admit to having WLS, I am very proud I made this smart move, and I think that comes across when I do talk about it.

tripmom02
on 9/21/12 8:08 am - NJ
I tell everyone that I had WLS, I do it because I figure 1 out of every 10 need to actually hear about my experience either for themselves or possibly for someone they love. So I just say "I had the Vertical Sleeve and I am training for the IronMan" usually they don't even hear the Sleeve part and jump right to "THE IRONMAN? Are you insane?" LOL

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

red42897
on 9/21/12 9:16 am
VSG on 08/20/12
 I haven't experienced this yet where people who don't already know have noticed my weight loss and ask.  My advice - don't lie. If you say eating less and excercise that is not a lie in my book.  If they said did you have surgery and you said no, that's a lie.  

I plan on being private about it, but that may change. I just have certain people here at work that are busy bodies and I don't feel that it is any of their business.  Very few friends know.  Some of my family knows.  

This is your decision and you do not have to feel bad either way if you keep to yourself or tell them but do what's best for you.

HW:280 SW: 259 CW: 181.2

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 363 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 407 views