Thinking about having sleeve

Pollyanna16
on 9/23/12 8:08 am
VSG on 12/28/12
Hi Everyone,
I'm thinking about having the sleeve done. I've been researching for 4 months all the options. As it stands now I'm gaining about 1/2 pound a week.  Gotta do something quick!  My problem has always been portion control. Although I'm a diabetic and I 'm a sugar addict!. I have RA and OA, gotta get this weight off my joints. Looking for advice from VSG ers. Planning on having it in Columbus Oh It looks like you guys really give alot of support to each other. Thanks in advance for any advise.

Pollyanna16
lisa2job
on 9/23/12 10:26 am - WA
VSG on 09/06/12
I got sleeved 9-6-12 so about 18 days ago.  I am down 42 lbs and i do feel this is the best thing I could of ever done..   I was an overeater have OA and PA . The Arthritis issues  was one of the main reason I choose this surgery  over the others we can take the necessary meds for our arthritis.     I have been off my regular meds for over a month and havnet went back on them as of yet ,  I take one proxicam a  day and havnet had any issues of swelling or pain as of now I am off the methotrexate...... now my ruemitodologist siad my PA could of went into a remissiion cycle due to the weight loss and to give my stomach a chance heal anyways.  Also I too was an over eater, emotional eater, a smoker .... now I am smoke free,  I cant over eat ,  I dont emtional eat anymore I go for a walk instead and I am gonna look great as this weight slides off me  ................. Ths is the best decision I could of made for myself and totally happy ,  I had an easier surgery than most ,  was up and walking within 30 minutes of waking.... hardly any pain ,  only alittle gas........   so dont wait do this for you !!!!    

Pollyanna16
on 9/24/12 7:42 am
VSG on 12/28/12
Oh my gosh! Good for you! You are doing wonderful. I had not thought about taking the meds, that is a very good point. Thanks so much for replying back to me. Keep up the great work. Polly
Lisa1023
on 9/23/12 10:32 am
VSG on 03/05/13
Hi,  I suggest that once youve figured out where you want to have the surgery done, you schedule yourself for one of their seminars (which is mandatory before they'll even see you for your first consultation).  Also, good idea to check if this medical practice is in your insurance network and what they exactly cover as far as bariatric surgery.  Write it all down when you call your insurance company or you'll find yourself calling back a few times.
pineview01
on 9/24/12 4:07 pm - Davison, MI
Attending a seminar is a great thing to do.  But, it wasn't mandatory
for us.  Because of my backwards insurance I never attended one until
after I had surgery.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

lucy2e
on 9/23/12 10:57 am - Laurel, MD
Like Lisa said, start by picking a surgeon that you feel comfortable with - you may want to pick a few.  Go to their seminars and find the one that you are most comfortable with and who takes your insurance.  After you've attended the seminar, you can make your initial consult.  at that point you wil be able to discuss with your surgeon if he thinks the sleeve is the right choice for you!

Congrats on taking the first steps to living a healthier life! 

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

KSqtpie
on 9/23/12 3:23 pm - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 07/09/12
Welcome and congrats and starting a journey to a new, healthier life. Even if you don't have surgery, just making the effort to find a way to turn around your health is a step in the right direction.

I will tell you that being 2 1/2 mos postop, I feel absolutely wonderful!! I have lost 50 lbs since I started my journey with the insurance required supervised diet.

Good luck to you!!

Pollyanna16
on 9/24/12 7:47 am
VSG on 12/28/12
Thanks for writing back, What was the most difficult thing for you with your surgery? Do you have hunger or cravings?  Polly
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views