Gaining weight

getmylifeback12
on 9/29/12 6:55 am - NY
I have read on here that people have gained weight. As much as 20+ pounds. The advice they get is to "Get back to basics" etc...I think this is really good advice but my question is....CAN you get back to basics? By gaining 10, 20 or more pounds isnt your sleeve stretched? Does getting back to basics work? I guess Im asking because I am pretty comfortable with my sleeve....too comfortable. Thankfully I have not gained any weight....yet. My biggest fear is stretching my sleeve. I am not very far out...only 8 months, so I am still really careful, although I do not want to lose anymore weight. I have been staying between 142 and 144 pounds. My orig. goal was 150 - 155 so I am very happy where I am. I find that I can eat more than I thought I would be able to. I dont want to get out of control. Im afraid once i am farther out and more confident in what I eat I will start to add a little more, and a little more....you all know what I am getting at.  So people that have gained weight, do you feel a restriction when you start over?
(deactivated member)
on 9/29/12 7:13 am - Canada
VSG on 08/16/13
 can't you gain weight more from eating too many starchy carby foods and sugar etc.  rather than too much to stretch your sleeve?  i mean slider foods etc.

so your stomach would still be the same size but you have to change what you are eating, more dense protein and low carby stuff and less potatoes etc.
frisco
on 9/29/12 7:30 am

The key is NOT to rely on restriction.......

Eating mindlessly and to full is perfect recipe for regain and how we got fat in the first place.....

Eating fixed amounts of food that is basically 80% of what you learned from WL is a good baseline for maintenance......

Always under eat your sleeve capacity....... The only real way to stretch your sleeve in constant over eating and putting internal pressure in your sleeve.....

Remember...... maintaining your weight is far easier than losing regain......

Disciplines you learn during weight loss and developing good habits is what carries you through maintenance.....

The reality is that in the big picture......losing the weight is the easy and exciting part...... maintenance is kinda boring and much harder if you don't keep your head in the game......

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

getmylifeback12
on 9/29/12 7:44 am - NY
Exactly Frisco!! Your last line hit it out of the park!!! This was just my "ah ha" moment. I hope that I am always as mindful as I am right now. Its so easy to sneak in one more bite as your putting things away or even licking the spoon! It all adds up! When I first had my surgery I remembered reading your advice on undereating the sleeve. I try very hard to practice that every day! Now I will put into practice not relying on restriction. I actually feel a sense of relief...for now. Every day I have to just feel good about feeling good....and looking good too.
Thanks everyone for the responses. I do try to stay away from the slider foods. Thankfully Im not big on Ice Cream and stuff like that. I consider myself lucky with that. Im not a stress eater either...I am a volume eater. I never felt like I had enough until I was so full I was sick to my stomach and literally could not fit in another bite. Im so afraid those habits will come back into my life. For now, I will continue to use the words of advice, UNDER EAT THE SLEEVE. DO NOT RELY ON RESTRICTON.
I feel better!
Forever Greatful, AMY
stephintexas
on 9/29/12 7:41 am

I agree with Frisco on this one. I think restriction is a small part of the overall process. It gets you started in the beginning but capacity increases over time with everyone. I know I can't rely on pouch size since I'm alreayd a high volume pouch so I have to really weigh and log and count. I don't THINK I would gain weight if I didn't. BUT if I ate crap and enough cheezits, I probably would gain. Slider foods can be eaten in large large amounts for some reason.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views