Not Getting Enough Fiber

Keith L.
on 10/23/12 3:40 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12
 Oh you pro's how can I get more fiber or at least solve the problem that comes from not getting enough fiber? I used to be a VERY regular guy and now not so much. Any suggested products or other remedies would be greatly appreciated. 

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

(deactivated member)
on 10/23/12 3:47 pm
Everyone's personal remedy varies. Here's what finally worked for me:

am - one colace (generic Dulcolax), 1/2 dose generic Miralax

pm - one colace

It's the generic Miralax that really does the trick!
SuzyNZ
on 10/23/12 4:06 pm
VSG on 09/17/12
 Kiwifruit (or Kiwi as I think you call it in the states) is great for getting things moving along.

i used a frozen packet version that I get here in New Zealand, but if you can't get it in the states which is probably unlikely, try just puréeing the actual fruit and mixing it with water as a drink.

Suzy wink (Age: 41, Height: 6'1,  SW: 169.4kg/372lb.  CW: 80.5kg/177lb.  Total lost: 88.9kg/195lbs)

Kelly-AnneH
on 10/23/12 4:48 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Simple answer - increase your fibre intake with real food - work toward 20 grams a day. You do not need to eat crap to get it, though. Broccoli has 7 grams per low calorie cupful, All Bran has 14 per 36 gram (1/2 cup) serving, Hi Lo cereal has 7 grams of fibre and 12 of protein in a 30 gram (1/2 cup, 140 calorie) serving.

My favourite breakfast is now 30 grams of Hi Lo cereal with 18 grams of All Bran mixed in with 1/2 cup of milk. Yes, we're talking about a bit over 200 calories, but constipation is no longer an issue for me and I'm comfortably full for hours.

Afternoon snack is often a 35 calorie yogurt cup with another 18 grams of All Bran mixed in. I really enjoy it and it helps keep things moving along.

If you want to keep it really simple, just add a total of 1/2 cup of All Bran to your yogurt every day and cut back on cheese. I love cheese, but it's very constipating.

Another option that I've recently bought but haven't tried yet is called Guilt Free Hot Cocoa Mix. It has 21 grams of fibre in a 40 calorie serving. I tasted the powder and found it quite sweet for my taste, but I think 1/2 serving would work in a cup of coffee or some Greek yogurt.

Yet another option - Quest bars. Generally about 16 grams of fibre and 20 of protein per 170-200 calorie bar. I like them quite a lot, but All Bran is cheap and easy to get at any grocery store.
Kelly-Anne

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 10/23/12 6:05 pm
VSG on 10/09/12
I agree with Kelly-Amne. Fiber from food is best but if you can't fit it in yet then...Gummy bears (fiber bears?), Benefiber, Miralax, Metamucil, colace, smooth move tea, any number of stool softeners...you have to experiment and find what works for you. Just try to avoid laxitives. I was constipated for a few days post op, used glycerine suppositories a couple of times then bought all of the above and haven't had to use it once! Everything is moving along. My system saw the army of remedies and figured no point in resisting and went into gear by itself....have been regular since abt 5 days post op. no help needed, but the army is there just in case!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Kelly-AnneH
on 10/23/12 6:38 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Addendum - now that I've noticed that you're only 3 weeks out. Benefibre mixed into all of your liquids would work. Just look at the back of the jar and build up to 20 grams of fibre per day over a week or so. Use Miralax if you need to. Gradually switch to real food fibre as and when you can.

That cocoa mix it available through netrition.com as is this: http://www26.netrition.com/just_like_sugar_baking.html

Since it's loaded with fibre but not sugar or calories, might it help? Each teaspoon has 5 calories and over 4 grams of fibre. If you like your coffee or tea sweetened it might be worth looking into.

I hope you find the right answer for you soon. Constipation is sure no party. And some twits think this is the easy way out - ha!

Kelly-Anne

jubjub
on 10/23/12 7:16 pm - Palm Desert, CA
VSG on 06/25/12

At your stage I did 1/2 dose benefiber in the morning and 1/2 dose Miralax at night.  Takes 48 hours.  I did it daily for a while to keep things moving.

Heaviest: 313/VSG Pre: 295/Surgery: 260/Maintenance target:190 - Recent: 195 (08/15/19)

1st 2015&2016 12-Hour Time Trial UMCA 50-59 Age Group
1st 2017 Race Across the West 4-Person 50-59 Age Group
4th 2019 Race Across America 8 Person Team

TSinNC
on 10/23/12 10:13 pm
VSG on 08/16/12
 At three weeks, Miralax was my friend. A capful in my morning shake worked well. Good luck!

fooh.pngTina

Follow my journey at www.TinaRebooted.com  Blog, Recipes, Product Reviews, and more!

hollykim
on 10/24/12 2:38 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
whatever you do,DONT  take Benefiber,even working up to it in enough quantity to equal 20 gm of fiber a day! That would bind you up so bad you might have to go to the hospital,and I'm NOT kidding.

There are 6 gms of fiber in 2 tsp of benefiber. To reach 20 gms of fiber you would have to eventually take 8!!!!!!!! tsp of it a day and that won't work.

Miralax you can take every day without worrying about laxative dependence,by the way.
I developed an anal fissure from constipation post VSG and had to see a colorectal surgeon. 

He put me on a program of 1/4 cup oatmeal in the am every am, 2 tsp Benefiber ONLY in max 8 oz ONLY of liquid,every evening. I have to add one dose of Miralax in the evenings of the days I haven't pooped by dinnertime.

This regimen has worked and has allowed the fissure to heal without surgery.

You will be unlikely to get enough fiber from food  for a few months to come so,you need to just start a  program that works for you and do it religiously,till you can eat more fiber r get to goal which ever comes first.

Kelly-AnneH
on 10/24/12 5:27 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Surely the benefiber would be safe and effective if added a tsp at a time - each in a cup or so of fluids? Any fibre - benefiber, all bran, chia seeds, flax, whatever will bind you up like concrete if you don't drink enough. I go the oatmeal and All Bran route, but someone still on mostly fluids needs a different way. My sister's go-to is 1 serving of fruit a day - does nothing for me.

Miralax DOES work, and work well, and it completely disappears into whatever I mix it into, but once again, it only works if you drink lots. Actually, ALL of the remedies other than irritant laxatives (not a good place to go without direction from your doctor) require lots of water. Hmmm... Water anyone?

Most Active