Am I Unrealistic in Planning a Thanksgiving Road Trip if I'm Sleeved on Nov. 14?

MuttLover
on 10/28/12 12:08 pm
VSG on 11/14/12

First -- I, obviously will NOT be driving!  Just riding! But it's about a 10-hour drive.  And, if I have complications, etc., we'd just cancel.

But overall, since I see some people going back to work in a week, and traveling from Mexico in less than a week, it seems "possible" (I did make sure my hotel reservations are refundable up to the day of arrival!).

We would just be visiting our son (who is 25), and his girlfriend.  So there would be the Thanksgiving Dinner -- but I don't want my visit to be about that.  So my plan is to just tell them that I'm getting over "a stomach thing". Then I'll tell them at Christmas, when I'm feeling better.

So, within the realm of possibility or am I living in fantasyland?

Ashley H.
on 10/28/12 12:21 pm - Keller, TX
VSG on 11/13/12

I'm being Sleeved on 11/13 and going 2.5 hours away from home for Thanksgiving with family.  I will be riding as well.  Since boyfriend and I will be staying with his parents- it should be even easier than me being at home :).  His mom is amazing and will do whatever it takes to make things easy for me.  

SleeplessinAbitibi
on 10/28/12 12:29 pm - Canada
VSG on 10/23/12

I was sleeved on tuesday and drove (not myself) home on saturday - 5.5 hour drive

Nathalie

“Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.” 

downhome
on 10/28/12 12:30 pm

I think you will be fine for the trip however I think you will still be on liquids.  It is hard on the all liquid stage. I would most likely just bail out but that is up to you.

MuttLover
on 10/28/12 1:47 pm
VSG on 11/14/12

I "always" had a dietCoke with me, drinking all the time -- so it won't be weird for me to have something in hand to drink.  I'll just let them know ahead of time that I've given up dietCoke, so they won't buy any for me.

I'll just see how it goes!

Skys_Journey
on 10/28/12 2:01 pm
VSG on 09/17/12

I have seen it recommended in my binder that if you need to make a trip that is long...you have to get out and walk and move every 2 hours because of the risk of blood clots in your legs so early after surgery. That's why they recommend we walk throughout the days after surgery to prevent it. I'm not sure that it will be relaxing for you because you will still have soreness, but when it comes down to it...how lame to be away from family!!!!! ahhh..

Sky VSG: Sept 17th, 2012 Age: 25  Height: 5'1"

HW: 257 SW: 237 CW:172 GW: 117  TOTAL LOSS: 85LBS   

pineview01
on 10/28/12 2:14 pm - Davison, MI

I was told 10 minutes every hour for the same reason.  Are you able to lay flat or with legs up part of the wight.  That too would be my big concern. 

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Sasny
on 10/28/12 2:12 pm
VSG on 03/20/12

Hi

it all depends on your recovery.  I had an amazing recovery post surgery and was back at work 6 days later and 10 days post op I went with my family on a 4 day trip to Washington, DC which was about 5 hours from our home.  I was able to sightsee all day long but took a nap in the afternoon with my toddlers.  I was not eating much yet but was on shakes and mushees / purees so I brought food with me - cottage cheese and puréed meatballs and protein shakes.  When we went out to eat I had soup.  I would have found it hard to be with people who did not know about my surgery because I was eating so strangely.

Good luck.

Stephanie

beckyinkc
on 10/28/12 2:21 pm
VSG on 07/25/12

I think it's possible, but you'll need to make sure that your plans are refundable (sounds like you have already done that), that you have all the liquids you need with you, and that you stop frequently to walk around and prevent blood clots.  I'd also recommend an abdominal binder.  For me, it helped hold things in place and not jiggle around so much (which helped with the incision pain).

Good luck!

frisco
on 10/28/12 7:37 pm

If it was me...... I wouldn't do it......and certainly wouldn't make plans to do so.......

Take your recovery time very serious. You "might" be overwhelmed at two weeks out just adjusting as well as healing. And to add all this new structure to people close to you that you are "hiding" your situation from....... I'd be in a bit of overload.

Take the necessary time for you..... sip sip walk walk nap nap..... watch movies relax take it easy..... Christmas will come soon enough..... you'll be much more established and not "hiding" anything from your son.....

Is it possible..... sure it is.......it's closer to fantasyland ?????

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 270 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op