Questioning Hunger.

Valarie L.
on 10/30/12 1:19 pm - TX
VSG on 10/02/12

I am hungry every 3 - 4 hours.  If I don't eat, I get lightheaded and shaky.

My plan is very simple.  At this point in my post-op plan I am allowed to eat pretty much anything but fresh fruit, vegetables, and anything hard like nuts.  I was told to eat 3 - 6 times daily, which is a good thing since I am so hungry.  I do eat real food not snacks.  I get over 70 grams of protein in each day, keep my calories between 500-600, my carbs are under 40, and I am meeting my water intake.

I went to my first support group meeting tonight and the coordinators and nut all acted that it is unusual that I am hungry at all.

I guess I need to know if I am doing something wrong.

5'9"  HW - 295   SW - 270   CW - 201

Ohiogirl
on 10/30/12 2:43 pm - OH
VSG on 10/02/12

We're sleeve twins!!  and I am hungry also but I am still on purees per my surgeon's plan and I am so sick of pureed meat - not allowed any fresh fruits or vegetables and only allowed to eat 3 times a day - each meal is supposed to be 20 gms of protein and under 300 calories - no mention of carbs at this point.  I do meet all the requirements but I am hungry after 3 hrs or so - in order to get 20 gms of protein in - I have to eat pureed meat - no room for anything else.  I don't see how you keep under 40 gms of carbs and 600 calories if you are getting in 70 grams of protein.  What do you eat during your meals?   I feel I could eat more but I do stop myself - already I am eating 3/4 c of cottage cheese, a small Wendy's chili, 6 oz of greek yogurt (I choke that down though).  I go for my 4 wk check up tomorrow and I am going to ask to be advanced - I don't think I can eat any more pureed food or supplement with any more protein shakes.  I almost had a meltdown tonight because I was so hungry and couldn't stomach the thought of eating pureed tuna or canned chicken or cottage cheese or yogurt anymore!!!  I can't help but wonder if this surgery is going to work for me.  I self paid for this surgery and so far - I have lost 23 lbs (been on an 11 day stall) so I have paid $1000 a pound so far - will I ever lose any more?? 

Sounds like you are right on schedule to me but I agree - the hunger is a shock - didn't expect it so soon.  I am on Pepcid - are you on a PPI or pepcid - cause many will say it must be acid and not hunger.  

Please give me an idea of what you are eating during a normal day.  I need some ideas.

Paula

Valarie L.
on 10/30/12 4:05 pm - TX
VSG on 10/02/12

Hey Paula,

I am on Nexium for acid. 

Basically I eat tuna, chicken, beef, pork, eggs, and cheese.  Sorry that I don't really have any ideas for you.  

I also have one protein shake with high protein milk each day. 

I was self pay also.  I have lost 20 pounds since surgery.

Val

5'9"  HW - 295   SW - 270   CW - 201

edelu
on 10/31/12 7:12 am - los angeles, CA

To both you posters, the hunger, deep gnawing hunger that is will pass.  I had it in the 3rd and 4th week and thought I'd made a horrible mistake with this surgery.  It's the part no one tells you about, your system is getting used to the new you, etc, but it passed and  then it was easy peasy.  Another week at the most.

swizzlequeen
on 10/30/12 9:45 pm

My understanding is that a 20+ pound weight loss within a month is exactly on target and is an excellent rate of loss!

Check out the blog The World According to Eggface for some really interesting food and recipe ideas for the puree/soft stage.

mimij
on 10/30/12 11:15 pm, edited 10/30/12 11:16 pm - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

Same for me about hunger. Most people here and in my support group do not feel any hunger and have to remember to eat.I am on Pepcid 20 mg twice per day. I think the surgeon left my grehlin in! Every 2.5 hrs I feel empty and a slight pain in my tummy. I usually stop drinking my water at that time and hold off til 3 hrs and then I eat my protein. I am 4 weeks out today. I have felt this way since about 2 weeks out. I am looking at it this way. My body is sending appropriate signals to eat. I am not ravenous, just aware that I need something small and believe me, I can only eat the 1/4 cup of pureed food that I was told to eat. I don't think you are doing anything wrong at all. I can relate to what you are describing and I know I am following my plan. Keep up what you are doing. You have lost more weight than me, but you started out at a higher weight so maybe proportionally we have lost similar amounts. .

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

VanityFair
on 10/31/12 7:50 am, edited 10/31/12 7:50 am

"light headed and shaky"

Hm.

I can do that now  - but it isn't hunger.  It's sodium.  A single crystal of my (admittedly big-ass coarse sea) salt does the trick.  As water levels fluctuate with lower carbohydrate intake, sodium can pan too - and my body/brain signals for the shaker the only way it can.  "Hungry".

Saltily,

Sara

Most Active