OMG! Pre-op's with GERD beware

prairie-dog-girl
on 10/31/12 9:31 am

Sleeved 10-29 and home today. Upon starting the surgery,a large hiatal hernia was found and repaired, then the sleeve was done.I woke in recovery with excruciating chest pain.The nurse told me it was post op gas pain.I've had that before and this wasn't that.It was the elephant sitting on your chest pain.It lasted about 24 hours and althought it went away it still hurts everytime I swallow anything.The nurse and doctor both told me ,people  with GERD often get chest pain after sleeve  surgery.I'm sure mine was worse because of the hernia surgery too. but I wish they'd warned me. The good news is I had no incision pain at all and fixing the hernia may take care of the GERD.I'm not having any trouble getting anything down,but, due to no hunger and hurting with swallowing. I just as soon forget it. The doctor said it should pass quickly.

MuttLover
on 10/31/12 10:22 am
VSG on 11/14/12

I'm a GERD Girl too -- can you tell me what your pre-op GERD pain/symptoms were?  My GERD presents primarily as nausea or feels like "dripping" at the back of the throat (like post-nasal drip).  I take 40 mg of Nexium 2x a day to keep in under control -- but I never had the "usual" GERD symptoms of heartburn, chest pain, etc.

Can you advise?  GERD and VSG is still a bit of unknown territory, both short term and long term -- so any info you care to share will be appreciated!  I'd rather know to expect an elephant on my chest than wake up and think it's something worse -- of course if you are taking dilauded (or however you spell it!), you might see an elephant on your chest too!

Also, did you go home with a drain?  I think I will, so I've been watching the You Tube to see how to change it, and reading stuff.  Lovely!

Glad you are back home and doing pretty well!  Hope your pain goes away soon!

prairie-dog-girl
on 10/31/12 10:53 am

I had the chest pain/nausea, especially if I forgot to take my pill or ate something spicy.Also, when lying down I could feel the acic going up my esophagus toward my throat.I had no drains and my incisions didn't hurt at all.The only time I felt like I had surgery  was when I did my spirometer to help you take deep breaths and expand my lungs.If I hadn't had the chest pain stuff,it would have been a breeze.I also thought I would have a catheter in my bladder the first night,but, they removed it in recovery.I  was pretty much awake all night the first  night between chest pain and bathroom trips, I did get some sleep the second night.I was told I'd have to take my GERD  meds for 2 months and then I could stop and we'll see how it goes.When is your surgery?Good luck to you!

MuttLover
on 10/31/12 11:27 am
VSG on 11/14/12

Thanks!  My surgery is on Nov. 14 --- so I started my pre-op diet today.  It's "just" low carb-Atkins-style until two days before surgery -- then liquids.  So, I can't complain!

Frankly, the GERD is my biggest worry, since the outcome on that is basically a crapshoot! I guess I'll stick to my usual plan -- Hope for the best (no GERD) and prepare for the worst (lifetime of continuing my Nexium!).  

Glad to hear that you had very little pain overall!  Best of luck on your journey, and I'll be joining you soon!

starry957
on 10/31/12 1:30 pm

Some time ago I read a medical report with stats, etc.  It appeared to be a reputable site, with good solid information.  I remember specifically reading that with VSG, symptoms of GERD can often WORSEN post op for about 2-3 yrs....HOWEVER, this same study also stated that at about 3 yrs out, they found that the GERD improved with VSG, to a level better than it was previous to the surgery.

Just something I read...

January 8th, 2013 - VSG with Dr Paul Sullivan (St Joe's Toronto)

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 10/31/12 2:38 pm
VSG on 10/09/12
I also had a moderate hiatal hernia repaired and had no pain when I woke up nor when swallowing. And no symptoms of GERD so far. I didn't have it before surgery. But did have the hernia. Also didn't know about it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

rrrrickster
on 10/31/12 3:17 pm, edited 10/31/12 3:18 pm
VSG on 09/05/12

Folks,

I had GERD...before the surgery.  Was on twice a day Omeprezole/Pentoprezole for 10 yrs.

Had my VSG 9/5/12.  Doc indicated that GERD may act up for about 3 months; but should subside then.

I went to one Pepsid a day after surgery; and then I stopped taking even that about 6 weeks after surgery.

BTW, i think that the gas pains right after surgery are different cause/effect...just walk, and GasX.

Best

Initial Baratric Consult Wt 327 (9/10).  HW 333 (2011).  Committed to VSG Wt 323 (7/12).  VSG day SW 289 (9/5/12). 10 days past VSG wt 273.
History: When i came to US in Nov 1988...I weighed 281.
Crabadams72
on 10/31/12 8:07 pm - Silver Spring, MD
Mutt,
My pre-op Gerd was exactly like yours. I never even knew I had it until I did the pre-op testing.

I do take protonix 1x a day and I only had acid reflux a few months back. I woke up w acid in my throat-gross.

You can do an online search for Gerd and the sleeve. It "can" be a problem for some people, enough they they convert to RNY.
VSG 6/10/2011  Dr. Ann Lidor BMore MD 5'5 HW-247 SW-233 GW-145 CW-120

http://www.youtube.com/user/72Crabadams   Me rambling about my journey : )

tlpldy
on 11/1/12 5:09 am

My doc told me that he would suggest either the sleeve or RNY for me due to my GERD.  He said that aside from the GERD he would suggest the sleeve, however, there is a risk that it may worsen the GERD.  However, in HIS experience with his patients if you had GERD before, it went away, if you had never had heartburn prior to surgery, you were more likely to have it after. 

My surgery is scheduled for Nov 15th, and I opted for the sleeve.  As was mentioned here already, my doc did tell me I can convert to RNY if the GERD is not controllable. *I felt it worth the risk to avoid the malabsorbtion.  I also felt that in the past, my heartburn has always gone away with weight loss, so maybe that alone will help lessen my chances.   I am crossing fingers......

prairie-dog-girl
on 11/1/12 6:55 am

My doctor did tell me Gerd sometimes worsens with the sleeve.However,after the suprise hiatal hernia,he said with repair  of that, I have a good chance it will go away.Good luck to all.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 316 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views