Any adult beverage drinkers out there?

simmie78
on 11/1/12 1:08 pm

Hi All - How has the effects of alcohol changed post op?  When did you have your first glass of wine (or whatever) post surgery?  Since alcohol is an acid, I imagine I will not be drinking for months and months...especially since the calories add up - which I'm fine with - but I am curious about the effects of it on you post sleeve.

No, I'm not an alcoholic and yes, I know about transference issues - I'm just single and live in a town where 90% of social interactions take place at happy hours/dinners/events.

SuzyNZ
on 11/1/12 1:44 pm
VSG on 09/17/12
One of my colleagues is 5 years out and had 2 glasses of wine at a special lunch the other day and was off her rocker drunk!

Im single too and can have a great time drinking water all night and watching everyone else get silly. I used to do this a lot even before surgery. People watching is fun!!

My theory is, that if you can only have one before being impaired, why bother at all.

Suzy wink (Age: 41, Height: 6'1,  SW: 169.4kg/372lb.  CW: 80.5kg/177lb.  Total lost: 88.9kg/195lbs)

Jerilynk75
on 11/1/12 2:01 pm, edited 11/1/12 2:06 pm - TX

Let me be your cautionary tale.....
I was eight weeks post-op....back on full solids and the NUT said that (while not recommended) one could have a small glass of alcohol....

Yours truly went on vacation...Hawaii.  A 44oz screaming Mai Tai at the Dixie Grill.  And, it wasn't a weak one, either. 
I downed maybe 6oz or 8oz of that entire drink..and turned it over to an accomplice.  He finished the rest,, no problem.  I was being a good girl...I couldn't believe how tipsy I was after just a tiny amount of alcohol!!!

Two nights later - - I found myself at a club on-base at Pearl Harbor (yes, my friends are all military or ex-military). 

I managed to blow out my left knee WHILE TURNING AROUND.  Not drunk, not doing anything weird.  I was just turning around.  (Go ahead and laugh).  In fact, when someone inquired about my state of sobriety and asked how many drinks I had consumed, I was able to point to a (half-full) drink and inform them that it was still my first drink of the night!

Then, I made the stupid decision to keep dancing on my bum left knee...the pain was killing me......so I decided to dull it....

...with more rum. 

Now, prior to surgery, my friends used to joke that I was "Immune to Rum".  I could drink almost ANYONE under the table. 
And my last drinks before surgery were the day they put me on the two-week liquid diet before my sleeve.  (Believe me, I partied like it was 1999.)  So..it wasn't as if I had months and months of absolute sobriety in which to build up a tolerance. 

I could NOT believe how quickly (and severely) my body was affected by the smallest amount of alcohol! 

Granted, I am now a little over 14 months post-op....and I can tolerate wine very well.  In fact, I think my tolerance for wine is equal to what it was before surgery.

However, hard liquor?  I am definitely a lightweight, now!!! 

Transference issues are also a concern that I have.  I was terrified of becoming an alcoholic...or a compulsive shopper!  I would say that I am probably more apt to become the latter!

Rouxful
on 11/1/12 6:14 pm

Goes right to my head. I'm the lightest of lightweights where before I could put away drink after drink before getting tipsy. Always have a DD, guys.

HW 403 / SW 372 / CW 204 / GW 199    

simmie78
on 11/1/12 9:42 pm

I can be a sailor when it comes to drinking...but I think I'm hanging my drinking boots up...I have a feeling the alcohol will hit me fast and hard! I already make parties wherever I go sober;-)

No driving where I live - just crawling up hills and pouring oneself into a cab;-)  But yes...DD necessary in other instances!!

kristen D.
on 11/1/12 10:37 pm - Middletown, NY
VSG on 09/25/12

i am only 5 weeks out (and just came off the antacid that the dr prescribed at week 4), I decided to have one vodka with crystal light and water. within 5 minutes of have just a few sips I could feel it. I finished a couple of drinks (and logged the calories) next thing I knew it was gone. Next day i had a CRAZY headache. worse than that the burning sensations i started having in my stomach over the next few days was awful. needless to say I'm back on the antacid! BIG mistake. don't indulge too soon. so no worth it!!! i don't know what I was thinking so early on!

(deactivated member)
on 11/1/12 10:39 pm
VSG on 06/04/12

I am about five months post-op and have had a couple glasses of wine since the surgery. A "glass" for me is about 2 oz. And yes, I feel incredibly tipsy after just 2 oz. of white wine. I don't go out to bars and drink or anything like that, but my honey's Italian and his family has wine with everything. So I've indulged a couple times, but like I said, just a couple ounces.

The biggest deterrent for me? Not getting drunk quickly, it's the scale. A couple ounces of Moscato for example is like 55 calories. Totally workable into your plan right? Wrong! Every time I've had even a little alcohol it stalls my weight loss. I've heard some people work wine into their maintenance plans because alcohol is shown to stall losses. Just something to consider before taking the plunge.

simmie78
on 11/1/12 10:43 pm

Totally good point - I don't lose weight when I drink - at all! 

howarli
on 11/1/12 11:20 pm - MD

Complete opposite for me........I tend to lose weight when I drink adult beverages.  I don't do it often and have noticed that the effect is a little quicker and does not last as long.  Whatever you decide to do, make sure you first attempt is AT HOME.

hwag5149
on 11/2/12 12:37 am

Me too... I think the gin is a fat burner! I also have it hit me faster but go away pretty quickly :(

HW 380.8+  SW- 371.4  CW- 234.4  GW- 200 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 107 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 335 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 384 views