Sleeve for Me but Who and Where?

JohnnyMadison
on 11/7/12 7:56 am
VSG on 11/30/12

I'm definitely looking to get a sleeve (I'm 40 y/o with a 39.1 BMI and no co-morbidities) and, due to insurance reasons, am a self-pay. I'm very open to going to Mexico, or other international destinations, so long as it is safe and clean. I also know that there are a few self-pay options in the states that are reasonable and I'm open to that as well, so I'm really interested to hear any self-pay stories from the US. What I'm looking for is people who've self-paid (anywhere) and who they would recommend. Based upon my research, here are my requirements:

1. At least 100 gastric sleeves
2. Procedure and "in-patient" is in a well-respected hospital and not a surgical clinic
3. I'm open to after-care in a hotel but not a recovery house type situation
4. Generally positive reviews
5. Near an airport (I have plenty of FF miles)

Within those confines, I'm looking for the lowest price possible. I've thought about the surgical clinics and while I'm sure that they are safe, I just can't bring myself to do that. I need a hospital with other services, it just makes me feel safer. 

Thoughts? THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT EVERYONE, THIS IS A MAJOR DECISION FOR ME

Missdede
on 11/7/12 8:54 am - Canada
VSG on 10/10/12

I had surgery in Mexicali in October done by Dr Aceves.  Cost was 8,750.00 which covered first night presurgery in hotel, and 3 nights post surgery in the hospital.  Hospital was sparkling clean, modern and very nicely appointed with large rooms with sofa for companion.  Dr. Aceves is an amazing surgeon with I believe 1500 VSG surgeries under his belt.  The care was fantastic I could go on and on!  We flew from Edmonton to San Diego and were picked up by a driver provided by the hospital, who also made the return trip with us.  I could have had my surgery covered by our rovincial healthcare but chose to travel and self pay solely for the skill and experience and rave reviews I Dr Aceves has.

LNC62
on 11/7/12 8:57 am - CA
VSG on 12/17/12

Johnny,

Check out Dr. Paul Cirangle in San Francisco.  I haven't had my surgery yet, but his practice is only bariatrics and he has a great track record.  He performs the surgery in 4 hospitals in the bay area ad two of them (Good Samaritan in San Jose, CA and John Muir Medical Center in Concord, CA) are centers of excellence (COE).  The other hospital is California Pacific Medical Center in San Francisco.  It is also a good hospital, but not a COE.  Check him out at Laparoscopic Associates of San Francisco.

Good Luck,

Lynn

gloria P.
on 11/7/12 9:36 am - Fayetteville , AR
VSG on 01/06/12
I also am self pay. I flew to Las Vegas and had surgery with Dr. Tom Umbach. His office is in town next to Vegas. I stayed in Vegas and took a taxi but you could rent a car at airport or whatever. Vegas was the best option for me because I did not want to leave the states and go anywhere English was not first language. You can find inexpensive hotel / air deals easily on the travel sites and you really need to figure in travel expenses.

I paid $10,400. I called his office direct, I got the number from his website blossombariatrics.com and I spoke with them. The doctor wrote a letter that I attached to my fmla paperwork and I did not have any problems getting my time off approved. He scheduled my preop appt the day prior to my surgery. I paid at my preop appt. I took a cashiers check. He did not ask for a deposit to put me on the schedule.

The preop was on a Thursday, surgery on Friday (it was at an outpatient surgery center) and I went back to his office on Monday for follow up appt. I flew home on Tuesday. This was January of this year.

I have lost 98 lbs. this morning my weight is 137.8 lbs. I wear a size 27 / 28/ size 4 jeans and a small top.

I walked from the monorail to the pawn shop on pawn stars the day after my surgery which is about 3 miles. It was nice there in January and I wore a light jacket. I felt good. He gives lortab elixir for pain and also places a lidocaine pump at your incision site which takes care of most of your pain. Nausea was not much of a problem. But as a precaution, I had asked my pcp to write me a prescription for dissolving zofran which I took with me.

The outpatient surgery facility and staff are well acquainted with Dr. Umbach and his patients and procedures and it works like a well oiled machine.

I have been a nurse for 20+ years. He is a good doctor and he only does bariatrics. I really recommend him. I have had questions since my surgery. If I wanted to ask him directly, I emailed him and received a prompt reply. If I have a general question, I call the office or ask it here. They offered my a free phone conversation with the doctor prior to surgery, but I did all my research and didn't have any questions that couldn't wait for my appt. I recommend the phone conversation if you are hesitant at all. I should have done it because he did say he probably would have let me take my arthritis medication but I didn't. Oh well.

I really think I am a typical patient with the typical problems. Everything I really needed to know I got answers by reading other people's questions and the responses. Everyone pretty much has same bumps in the road. I think that is why this forum is sooooooo very helpful. We are all so much alike. We have the same head games we work on ourselves, the same friends and co workers and we have the same issues with food. The surgery is pretty cut and dry. The tools / bariatrics foods, powders and drinks are all easy to use. This surgery is the best thing you will ever do.

The blue dye he puts in your stomach for the leak tests was a surprise and I peed it for days.

Good luck to you. Please believe that this is the best thing I have ever done. I mean almost 100 pounds in 10 months! Wow!
gloria

Foxbins
on 11/7/12 11:25 am

I also had surgery with Dr. Aceves in Mexicali.  I'm 21 months post-op and hit my goal and more. I had very little pain, no nausea, no complications.  Look at my ticker for my results.

cece58
on 11/7/12 12:01 pm - CA

You should definitely check out Dr. Cirangle in San Francisco.  He has over 3000 sleeve surgeries and has excellent follow up care (even by phone). You can watch him perform an entire surgery on his website www.lapsf.com. I was self pay and I have a lifetime of follow up care and support. I am very thankful that i found him.

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us"
Lisa

Joelle W.
on 11/7/12 1:32 pm - Canada

I would 100% recommend Dr. Aceves in Mexicali. The place was extremely clean and the care I received was fantastic. I am from Canada and flew down to San Diego where they have a driver pick you up  and take you to Mexicali. Even now that I am home I am in contact with Dr. Aceves and his team. It was an absolute life changing experience. 

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 11/7/12 2:25 pm
VSG on 10/09/12
I had my surgery in Montreal, with Dr Michel Gagner, four weeks ago. He has done thousands of sleeves and is an amazing surgeon if I can at all attribute my super easy recovery to his surgical skill. It was close to an airport. It is affordable (in the 14,000 canadian dollars range depending on your particular case) and it was in a surgical center...in a very upscale mall. I was a little nervous about that at first BUT they have never had a problem since starting their operations. I actually preferred it in the end. Hospitals kind of freak me out. This was really quite relaxed and cool and clean and certainly well equipped. It calmed me and I felt safe and good.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

lgm
on 11/7/12 9:58 pm

sorry i just saw this post!! LOL

I am a little slow this morning!

ladybuglv
on 11/7/12 2:26 pm - NV

Add me to the Dr Aceves fans! He did my surgery 8/31. The care was fantastic and I stayed three nights in the cleanest hospital I've ever seen for 3 nights. I work in hospitals for a living.

I live in the Vegas area and still chose Dr Aceves as he has much more experience and is $2000 cheaper than the surgeons here. Plus the three nights in a hospital, not outpatient which I preferred.

I was sleeved on 8/31 and have lost 32.5 pounds.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 90 views