Interesting -- Isopure is not a "liquid", it's a protein on my plan

MuttLover
on 11/8/12 11:00 pm
VSG on 11/14/12

Had my pre-op seminar yesterday, and I found out three things:

1. Many of the people who were close to surgery had apparently not read or retained any information about their post-op diet - "Oh, I can't eat mushy things! Ewww!", etc.  It was kind of unreal.

2. On my plan, Isopure is not a "liquid", it's a protein.  So my post surgical 64 ounces a day doesn't include Isopure.  Can't wait to see how that works out for me!

3. Many "urgent care" clinics can rehydrate you.  Since my ER copay is $150, I'm going to stop by the urgent care site that is only two blocks from my house, and see what they have to offer!  

Wednesday is getting closer! 

Keith L.
on 11/8/12 11:08 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

1. Everyone who has this surgery is THRILLED to get to the mushy stage. It is the first real food you will have in several weeks, so its hard to comprehend at this point but they will gladly eat mushy foods.

2. I think you can probably really count it as both as the protein part is only a small part of what you have to drink. That is if you can even stand the smell/taste of Isopure. None of their flavors are particularly good. I recommend having a bottle of Mio on hand to spruce up the flavor.

3. You shouldn't need to be rehydrated if you get even half of the recommended water. I am 5 weeks post op and have not yet hit 64oz. Today will be the day if it kills me. But I have not had any issues with dehydration. Just make sure some of the liquids you take in early include something with electrolytes (gatorade, powerade, pedialyte) and you should be fine.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

acbbrown
on 11/8/12 11:23 pm - Granada Hills, CA

Some surgeons....really - not a liquid?  Id say use your common sense. If you can get 64 oz of fluid, including you ispoure, you would be doing pretty darn good.

I got dehydrated when I was only getting 36oz of fluid or so. Don't do that! Sucks to have to get anIV to rehydrate you. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

grannymedic1
on 11/8/12 11:55 pm - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12

Getting in 64oz. besides your liquid protein is a goal. Immediately post op you can sure count your Isopure if needed. After my band surgery I could do the 64 oz plus, after my sleeve it took me over 3 weeks just to get in the 64 oz. I still have to count my shakes, though it is getting closer.

Most don't have the problems I have had so you should be fine. Good luck to you, these last pre op days are exciting. I could hardly wait to start my new life. It is also a time of some doubts. Don't even let them into your head.

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

emelar
on 11/9/12 12:20 am - TX

Doesn't really matter whether your doc says to count your protein drinks as liquids or not.  Your body doesn't distinguish between how the liquid is being delivered, just that it's being delivered.  For that matter, we get a good amount of liquids from our food.  Think yogurt.  It's as close to being liquid as you can get without it pouring!

I didn't really "get" what life was going to be like post-op and I read and (thought I) understood everything that was going to happen.  You won't get it until you're on the other side dealing with it.  Cut folks a little slack.

Good for you on having a plan on what to do if you need and IV.  But do your best to avoid the trip!

MuttLover
on 11/9/12 12:37 am
VSG on 11/14/12

Thanks!  I think my biggest frustration was the meeting is only supposed to be an hour (what are told on the phone), the nurse begins by saying it will be an hour and a half -- which turns into two hours because she's answering many, many questions that have already been reviewed (most from the same person --who is grossed out by mushy things and kept derailing the meeting with personal stories about her friends who had RNY).  I ran out of slack after the first 1.5 hours! LOL!

emelar
on 11/9/12 12:55 am - TX

There's one of those people in every group, isn't there?  kiss

hollykim
on 11/9/12 2:05 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

i would definitely include Isopure in my liquid count because it IS a liquid,and you can see thru it. It is also a protein and I would fell perfectly right using it for both no matter what she said. JMHO.Gl

Jarisaunt
on 11/9/12 1:03 am - CA
VSG on 08/21/12

I'm surprised they don't allow you to count the Isopure as a liquid. It is water, with 40g protein in it.

I wasn't happy with my food until I got out of the pureed/mushy stage and could eat soft foods. I can understand people's aversion to mushies. Fortunately, it is only temporary.

As for rehydration, if you're following your plan correctly you shouldn't need to go to urgent care. Sip all day long and you'll stay hydrated.

Height: 5'5"  2 wks pre-op: -15  M1: -20  M2: -18  M3: -12  M4: -13  M5: -8 M6: -10 M7: -2 M8: -10 M9: -4 M10: 0 M11: -3 M12: -3 M13: -14 Start Wt:290 SurgWt:275 (BMI 46) Current Wt:145 (BMI 24) Goal:140 (BMI 23.3)

melly37
on 11/9/12 1:26 am - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12

My surgeon's office had the same rule.  My protein shakes or drinks were not considered to be part of my liquid requirement.  Made it impossible to reach the goals the first weeks after surgery.  It's not a problem now. 

LapBand Surgery 01/10/08, Revison to Sleeve 04/03/12

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views