8 month update - 72% EWL with pics!

Sasny
on 11/20/12 1:47 pm
VSG on 03/20/12

Hi All

Today it is 8 months since my surgery and I could not be happier.  I am so thankful for my sleeve!  It has been such a great experience.  I was fortunate to have an amazing recovery and never had a day of thinking OMG what did I just do.  My body has handled the transition to a tiny tummy with ease and no bad side effects.  My head has also done well with the transition.  I feel so free from wanting to eat large quantities and love that I get satisfied with such little food.  My restriction at 8 months is still very good and fortunately I don't have too much hunger.  I have struggled some with the exercise.  Recently my husband and I started a new business and I have a 3 yr old and 4 yr old so I have no free time for myself.  Hopefully the work life balance will get better soon and I hope to be able to find a little time for myself so I can incorporate more exercise into my routine.  At least I am frequently running around like a chicken without a head so I am being very active.

Here are my stats:

Surgery Weight: 252

Current weight: 179

Total Weight Loss: 73 -- 72 % EWL

Goal Weight: 150 ---  29 pounds to go

Height - 5'4"

Recent NSVs:

1) Not being recognized a few times - a little weird but cool, 2) Fitting into a size large coat after wearing a 3X, 3) Comfortably wearing size 12 pants after wearing a size 18-20, 4) shrinking out of my wedding band, 5)

Recent Struggles:

1) Not having anything to wear after being used to have a huge walk-in closet full of clothes.  I don't want to buy much yet because I am not at goal but I miss having more to wear.

2) MY HAIR - I think I have lost more than half.  It frequently looks so wispy.  My 97 year old grandma who has no filter said to me the other day - "is there something you can do about your hair, it just looks terrible".  I don't wa**** every day anymore because i find it so sad to see so much come out in the washing and styling.  I think it isn't really falling out too much anymore but I do not see any new hairs yet.

3) Making sure I get in enough protein - I am able to keep my calories low but recently (starting with the week of no power from Superstorm Sandy) I have not been reaching my protein goals everyday.  Aside from the impact this may have on the speed of weight I am concerned about the health consequences.  I have been making a real effort the past few days to make sure I get it all in.

4) It is much harder to be as stringent as I was in the early months. Some nibbles of carbs from my kids food has slipped in.  I am so frequently around so many foods that I don't want to eat that I find it hard to never taste. Not sure how to deal with this.

5) My drive and focus has decreased some because I feel good about the way I look now.  I would like to lose more and I will lose more.  But when you feel good and on almost a daily basis I get compliments, it is a little harder for me to be as strict as I need to be to make the scale move faster.  As long as it continues to move downward I guess I am ok with it because it took me about 20 years to get to this weight so if it takes me 15 months to reach goal rather than 12 I think that is ok.  But I am a little disappointed that I won't lose the 100 pounds in 12 months.  I lost about 4 pounds this past month but my clothes have gotten a lot looser.

6) Shopping - I feel a little overwhelmed when looking for clothes in department stores.  I was so used to being able to only shop in the plus size department.  With all the different departments available now I find it overwhelming.  I also feel like I don't belong there and someone will tell me that they don't carry my size. 

For those of you out there who have not had your surgery yet - this is the best thing that I have ever done for myself.  I wish I did it many years ago.  I am so happy with the results and feel so confident that I will be able to keep this weight off.  I still can't believe that I am 73 pound lighter. 

Thank you to everyone on this forum who shares their experiences and words of wisdom.  I look forward everyday to reading the posts and it helps keeps me focused on this great journey to a new me.  Have a very Happy Thanksgiving and Eat Turkey!!

Stephanie

Below are some progress pics:

Day of Surgery

Day of Surgery

Today - Eight Months Later

Today Eight Months Later

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 11/20/12 2:07 pm
VSG on 10/09/12
Great update! I can totally relate to everything you have written. If the challenges haven't happened yet, I have thought about each and every one of them. Keep doing what you are doing!!!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

TSinNC
on 11/20/12 8:23 pm
VSG on 08/16/12

You look fabulous!

fooh.pngTina

Follow my journey at www.TinaRebooted.com  Blog, Recipes, Product Reviews, and more!

Sasny
on 11/21/12 9:51 am
VSG on 03/20/12

Thanks!  

(deactivated member)
on 11/22/12 12:34 am
VSG on 06/04/12

You look great!!  Its funny, I was wondering if I was the only one who felt overwhelmed shopping in the regular department.  For the longest time I would still gravitate back to Macy's plus section until I realized that even the size 0X no longer fits me. 

Sasny
on 11/22/12 1:35 am
VSG on 03/20/12

I never thought I'd feel this way about shopping.  I was an expert shopper.  But ive gotten so used to having a limited selection and limited choices that having the whole store to look at just overwhelms me.  I think it is also because I'm still an XL for tops and not every brand has that so it still is a little tricky to find tops.  Another 10 pounds will help that.  I think I'm also going to try single brand stores in the mall instead.  I'm going to try again this weekend and see if I can find some bargains since I hoping to not be in this size for too much longer.  Happy thanksgiving!

Most Active