I just threw away food!

MuttLover
on 12/7/12 3:05 am
VSG on 11/14/12

Clearly, I've turned over a new leaf!  This was my third meal of the grilled chicken with sauce and cheese (a grilled chicken parm of sorts) -- and I had about 1.5 ounces of it and realized that I was feeling pretty full -- I'm just a few days into solids and haven't had that many, so I'm still learning!  I also realized that if I didn't throw it away, I would eventually just "snack" on it until it was gone.  There wasn't enough for another meal, and I still have other leftovers at home -- and it's the beginning of the weekend -- so I actually threw it away.

I see "normal" people leave food on their plates all the time, but very rarely do I through food away that isn't on the verge (or past!).  So this is a big step for me, and I know many of you can relate to this -- especially if your parents were of the don't waste food mentality!

Of course the more practical part of my brain says I just need to portion smaller -- but probably not -- 2 oz seems a pretty reasonable lunch portion!  I just have to recognize that just because 2 oz is there, doesn't mean I need to eat it all. 

Off to update MFP, since I had the full 2 oz in for today!

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

Kelly-AnneH
on 12/7/12 3:17 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Yay you! Throwing food away is really weird, isn't it? It's one of the biggest things I've learned to do, and it still feels a bit strange.

It's entirely possible that 2 oz is a bit much for you right now. I'm at just over 5 months and still find 2 oz to be a BIG serving - 1-1.5 oz is generally where I'm comfortable.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 12/7/12 4:05 am
VSG on 10/09/12
I can't do it....that's where my dogs come into my weight loss and food battles journey! They get the leftovers. I will never be able to throw food away unless I let it rot first.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

MuttLover
on 12/7/12 4:33 am
VSG on 11/14/12

LOL --I was at work!  If I didn't throw it away right then, I was SURE I would eventually eat it during the afternoon!  You can see from my avatar that I have a little doggie disposal at home who is MORE than happy to oblige.  His goal is to be a fat doggie, so we have to keep an eye on him.  If anything falls into the floor when we are cooking or cleaning up, he has snarfed it down before I can grab it -- thus the tea bag, part of corn cob (luckily that came up so no vet visit), onions (yep), carrots -- you name it!

I won't even bring a macadamia nut into the house, since I'm so afraid I'd drop one and he'd have it gulped down instantly!  He's a rescue, and we've been somewhat successful in training him to drop or leave it -- but only things that don't appeal to him that much!  If he has something that "isn't that good", he'll run to the cabinet where the dog treats are, hoping for a reward for dropping it.  But it it's really good -- it's gone!

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 12/7/12 4:43 am
VSG on 10/09/12
Funny you should mention macadamia nuts. My Bernese adores them...and used to get a few now and then before I learned they were bad for dogs. Luckily she is still alive and well...

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Sleeveless
on 12/7/12 5:00 am - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

Yes, it does hurt to throw away and waste food, but we always have to remember that WE are not garbage cans for disposing of excess food.

You did really good! :-)

maddiesun
on 12/7/12 6:27 am

This was always one of my BIGGEST PROBLEMS.

Now I fence off my food and whittle down my portions prior to starting the meal. If there's any left over ((because I have overcome the "EAT -until -you- cant -move -syndrome" --- i only eat until Im comfortably not hungry any more)), i simply freeze it if its viable or throw it away. Overcoming the finish everything off your plate mentality has been tough, and remembering that i'm not a human garbage  and feeling wasteful is hard

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views