when you say your hair is falling out....what do u mean??

shutterfly
on 12/14/12 1:44 am - vancouver, Canada
what is everyone talking about when they say your hair is falling out?? clumps? few strands??
emelar
on 12/14/12 1:49 am - TX

It runs the gamut of no hair loss to clumps, and everything in between.  Google "telogen effluvium" and you'll get the basic explanation of what happens.  For most of us, it seems like a lot of hair falls out, but most other people don't notice it.  It's a short term problem - the hair grows back in - but it's damned depressing while it's happening.

soontobe_blondegodd
ess

on 12/14/12 2:05 am
VSG on 08/16/12

For me, it started about 3 weeks ago (about 3 months after surgery).  Everyday in the shower, I lose strands and strands, and more strands not clumps.  I do not have patches of scalp, just thinning hair.  But when you look at the drain, those strands add up...and for me it is everyday.  A little wad of hair is sitting in the shower.  Then I take a wide tooth comb and comb my hair like I do everyday, and more strands of hair are on the comb.  I ended up getting a bob, thinking that having shorter hair will give me more body, than my long, thinning hair.  I know it is just hair and it will grow back, but with me being stuck for a month and having hair loss, just bummed out lately.  I know all will pass.

LeighAnne89
on 12/14/12 2:07 am - KY

Mine falls out by the handfuls daily still and I am almost 5 months out but I have heard that between 6 and 9 months it gets better I am just lucky I have always had super thick hair.

Dstc_99
on 12/14/12 2:12 am - WA
VSG on 08/13/12

Ditto to all the above I am removing a handfull a day at this point!

Shagdoll
on 12/14/12 2:13 am

I'm almost 16 months out.  I always used to lose a lot of hair, especially when it was longer but my hair was falling out in clumps pretty bad between months 3-9.  I've always had thick hair so my hair didn't look bad but I would get embarrassed when I'd get my hair washed at the Hair Salon for a haircut.  It seems to be back to normal now.

Jenn  

WWBD?  

shutterfly
on 12/14/12 2:14 am - vancouver, Canada
thank you all! this has put.my mind at ease!!
happiegirl
on 12/14/12 5:46 am - Albuquerque, NM
VSG on 04/24/12

It's not normal breakage...you'll know it's started because the hair comes out from the root.  Mine has slowed way down now but I used to run my hand through my hair and end up with like 10 strands. 

HW: 351 Pre-op: 272  Current: 140.7 Goal:160      M1:14 M2:14  M3:11  M4:10 M5:10  M6:12  M7:8  M8:6 M9: 6 M10:7 M11: 6 M12: 4 M13: 5 M14:7 M15: 4 M16: 3 M17: 1   M18: 4

"Glory lies in the attempt to reach one's goal and not in reaching it." - Gandhi

happymom80
on 12/14/12 11:59 am - MO
VSG on 03/05/12

I was getting handfulls at a time. Started right at 3 months and it is finally tapering off at 9 months. I had extremely thick hair to begin with, now it is normal thick hair. I kinda miss my thicker hair...but not enough to cry over it or anything. :) And it came out pretty uniformly, so that's good. 

If you've ever had a baby, you may remember losing hair after the baby was born. For me this was like twice the amount of that and has obviously lasted longer. 

HW: 350+ (I didn't look after that)  SW: 328  

melz1974
on 12/16/12 12:52 am
VSG on 07/10/12

My hair loss started at month 3 as well...almost to the day.  The easiest way to put it, I had to clean the shower drain 3x per shower or else it wouldn't drain.  I'm grateful I have thick hair.  I had to clean out my brush every other day too.  I've been using that "fall fight" by Garnier for about a month now.  I don't know if it's because of the product or because I'm getting more protein in, but now I only have to clean out the drain of the shower once during my shower....I'm a little more than 5 months out now.  

Sleeved July 10th ~ My independence day!
Highest Weight: 302, Consult Weight:298 Surgery Weight:263 

Most Active