3 days post VSG

smashlee
on 12/20/12 4:15 am
VSG on 12/17/12
I've had a couple of the "holy crap what have I done to myself" moments but thanks to reading here I expected it so I didn't freak out. Thank you for that!

I'm learning what my new noises, discomforts, and body functions mean. I've had the "water cooler" gurgling and burping is apparently my done signal. It's kind of funny that I don't get much in to be done with other than water, tea, and meds. I'm trying to keep the protein shots going as much as possible for now.
I've also learned that intestinal gas may actually hurt worse than the incision sites. GasX is my friend!
I think the most important lesson I've learned though (PRE and NEWBIES pay attention!) us that you can be as informed as possible but you cannot expect your body to behave like anyone else's on here! Read, ask questions, be knowledgable, but remember your experience will be your own. I don't know if I read the way I wanted to read things or my body is just being different but I haven't been that miracle person, up and ready to go in 3 days. I'm sore, I'm tired, I ache in places I didn't know I had, and I have to make myself "eat" (which in itself is new to me). But I DO get better every day.

So all of you that have posted and share your stories, thank you!
***Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the places and moments that take our breath away. - Anonymous

nmcmanus66
on 12/20/12 5:16 am - CA

I very much appreciate your posting. I am having my surgery in about 5 weeks an have begun the "mental" process to physc myself out to be strong and follow all the dr. orders following my surgery. besides the gas x which i've already got 2 boxes on hand, what else do you is a necessity for the days following surgery?

smashlee
on 12/20/12 6:14 am
VSG on 12/17/12
Just a disclaimer that anything sholud gi theough your dr. but...If you have any sinus issues, liquid Benadryl has helped a lot. You will have such a tiny stomach you don't want it full of snot. I also got some liquid Tylenol because my pain didn't really need the narcotics but needed something.

Make sure you have a tummy pillow. Breaking up the anesthesia or sneezing or trying to get up can still be a challenge.

Try not to get overwhelmed (I'm still working on this myself). I've been focused on liquids (water, decaf tea, sugar-free koolaid) and trying to get in protein I can. I also had them write me something for nausea just in case and I'm glad I did. It helped with the sinus stuff.

The biggest thing that helped me was reading real experiences here and having an idea of what to expect. Just remember that your body will act the way it wants so just be adaptable.

Best of luck - I'm excited for us!
***Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the places and moments that take our breath away. - Anonymous

LNC62
on 12/20/12 6:15 am - CA
VSG on 12/17/12

Hi Smashlee,

I am 3 days out, too, and read these boards all the time pre-surgery and still wasn't prepared for what it's like post op. getting off the couch is painfull and getting out of bed is just a pipe dream for now because it just hurts too much and I'm afraid I'll pop a staple or something.  The incisions sites itch, but I don't dare scratch them.  I just keep a protein shake with me at all times and when one is finished, I start another one to avoid dehydration and to get all the protein I need, 

smashlee
on 12/20/12 6:18 am
VSG on 12/17/12
Yes itchy!!!
I do ok getting up and down although occasionally I have a pulling pinch pain like the Dr stitched a bit tight but I just brace it with my arm or pillow. I'm less fuzzy headed now so I can focus on the schedule to get stuff in

Living4MyBabySon
on 12/20/12 9:49 am - CA
VSG on 12/17/12
3 Days out here also. I guess I bettter not wait to long in between protein drinks because I. Feel like I'm starving. My stomach is making all these sounds. Its growling and gurgling. I don't have mu*****ision pain but my neck is hurting something awful. Also, I have a bad headache on right side of my head. I feel a little tired because I haven't been able to sleep comfortably. Yep. Your right about everyone's experience is different

smashlee
on 12/20/12 10:44 am
VSG on 12/17/12
OMG the noises that come from my belly! I keep waiting for the alien to come popping out! And I swear I've never been happier to fart (TMI, I know)! My neck/shoulder pain was from the anesthesia but I managed to get rid of it before I left the hospital. An I've had headaches too, mostly from livid in the worst state in the country for allergies.

Best of luck my surgery sister!

jarabacoagirl
on 12/20/12 1:44 pm
VSG on 12/17/12

I'm so tired I can't write much.  Being you sleeve sister (sleeved the exact same day)  I can say "Exactly" to all of above!  :-)

HW 302 lbs SW  279.8 lbs.  CW  193.8 lbs   MFP Jarabacoagirl  Preop diets 22.2 lbs, 1st month 21.2 lbs, 2nd month 14.6 lbs,  3rd month 11.2 lbs, 4th month 7 lbs, 5th month 7 lbs, 6th month 6.8 lbs, 7th month 5.2 lbs, 8th month 4.4 lbs 9 and 10th months slowed down didn't record exactly

108.2 lbs lost from highest weight!

(86.2 lbs of that was lost since surgery date)

busboss1
on 12/20/12 3:21 pm
VSG on 12/18/12

I was sleeved on the 18th. My stomach makes strange noises also. The meds are a lot to deal with. My doc gave me pain, meds, muscle relaxers, besides the vitamins and meds for reflux and nausea. I haven't used the anti nausea but the reflux meds have helpled. I have found the unjury chicken broth to be helpful to me since I am just a bit uncomfortable when I swallow something cold. Nothing major, just a very slight bit of pain when something cold goes down.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 12/20/12 4:48 pm
VSG on 10/09/12
It all passes so fast! I am two and a half months out of surgery and feel exactly as I did before in terms of bodily functions and noises with the added advantage of 31 lbs off so far and great restriction and a new found determination and control and an unsatiable desire and optimism to have it all - be fit, healthy, hot, etc. and I still love and enjoy food more than before! The first days have blurred and now all I see are clear skies ahead. Like the Jimmy Cliff song...I can see clearly now...my food fog is gone!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views