Hormones? Post-Op Stress? What?

Cindi A.
on 12/16/12 6:30 am - Vancouver, Canada
VSG on 11/26/12

I'm usually a really positive, even-tempered person but I've been sad and frustrated and annoyed at myself for about the last 2 weeks. No energy. I'm three weeks post-op and if this is just recovery then I can deal with it but it sucks. 

Maybe it's hormones? Anyone experienced hormone dumping? When did it hit you, how long did it last. What were the symptoms? I feel like I have not been myself for a while now. Is it just post-op stress? Or hormones? 

I'm getting in my protein and not massive amount of fluids but between 45-55 oz a day (not enough, I know, but I keep struggling to improve). I've lost 12 lbs in about 20 days. 

centurycard     

Surg: Nov. 26/12 1st Goal: Lose 100lbs Reached Feb. 14/14 New Goal: 135lbs

Honeybee165
on 12/16/12 6:33 am - FL

2 weeks post op, energy is low but I think is normal since I do t eat much. Terrible mood swings. Also very emotional. Bad news affect me 10  times worse. 

simmie78
on 12/16/12 7:40 am
I'll be curious what others say as to how long it lasts...I was moody for about the first three weeks, seems to have evened out a bit. I also started my period 2 entire weeks early, so that can not help with the moods and that's 100 percent hormones being on the fritz!

S

Currently 180 - 76 lbs lost! Surgery 11/7/12, 36 years old, 5'8". I live in Hong Kong and it's a bit different here!

-Cindyloo-
on 12/16/12 8:55 am

I think it has to do with our limited supply of will power (by "our", I mean everyone and anyone).  I recently read a study about will power.  The study results basically contend that people have a limited supply of will power.  Will power seems to be something that shouldn't be "wasted".  It should be conserved and used wisely.

So, I took this information and internalize it.  I realize that post-op, I do have a limited supply of "will power".  Right now, I use all my will power to take care of myself and my family.  Consistently making healthy choices is really hard.  But, by far the thing that I have learned the most is that I don't have much left over "will power" to deal with people's crap/problems/stress.  Maintaining any tolerance when I am irritated, frustrated or just hacked-off is close to impossible now.  I find that I'm just not going to waste my limited will power.  I'm going to use the will-power I have to continue to put myself and my family interests first.

Maybe it's something like that?

Cindi A.
on 12/16/12 9:07 am - Vancouver, Canada
VSG on 11/26/12

The willpower thing is an interesting idea. I have to agree that human willpower is a limited resource. But this is more that I am frustrated and angry at myself. I'm just in a general funk, as well. Usually if I can't locate a source for the funk I know it's either hormones or lack of vitamin B. 

I just got some sublingual B12, that was a great suggestion. Going to see if that helps. Haven't been as consistent with the supplements as I should've been either, so I'm making sure I get those in. Hope that turns the tide. I want to enjoy being on the loser's bench! All my friends are happier than I am about the surgery right now. LOL

Thanks for the ideas.

centurycard     

Surg: Nov. 26/12 1st Goal: Lose 100lbs Reached Feb. 14/14 New Goal: 135lbs

SuzyNZ
on 12/16/12 3:19 pm
VSG on 09/17/12
There are lots of hormones stored in fat cells, so as they break down, we can definitely feel different moods to normal. I cried three times watching a stupid TV show a few weeks ago and am definitely more prone to getting emotional about things that wouldn't normally make me sad.

You will also still be tired at three weeks out, so together, its just a recipe for Cry-Fest 2012!....lol.

Suzy wink (Age: 41, Height: 6'1,  SW: 169.4kg/372lb.  CW: 80.5kg/177lb.  Total lost: 88.9kg/195lbs)

Sleeveless
on 12/16/12 6:08 pm - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

Cindi, I was sleeved the same day as you and have lost about 11 pounds (though some days it's only 10, whiich is annoying).

i have also been feeling the emotional stress. I often feel hopeless about the future, cry easily, and am not having the "I'm happy I did this felling" really. This in spite of already being on depression meds. My depression is more intense after the surgery.

Maybe part of it is the loss of food as comfort, recreation, social activity and all the other functions it used to serve in our lives? I don't know.

It's been really tough. I hope this is a temporary thing for both of us. Good luck to you.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 304 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 350 views