Age an issue?

Rms928
on 12/19/12 10:48 am
VSG on 03/20/13

Anyone out there have get sleeved in their late 50's or early 60's?  Do you feel your age had anything to do with your recovery or results?

M1-10 M2-31.4 M3-11 M4-16.8 M5-15 M6-10 M7-14 M8-9

AnnieinIA
on 12/19/12 11:05 am
I am 59 and had surgery 14 weeks ago. I have recovered very well, so age certainly didn't cause any problems in that respect. I was, and continue to be, very healthy. Your overall health, more than your age, may have an affect.

I lose weight slowly. Although that has been a problem all of my life, it has become worse as I age. That can impact success, but only if you let it.
MuttLover
on 12/19/12 11:19 am
VSG on 11/14/12

I'm 55 and just sleeved 5 weeks ago.  My recovery was quick and far more easy than many people's I've read about -- and many of them much younger.  So I'd say recovery has little to do with age. 

Now for weight loss, same thing.  But so far, most people seem to be losing a little faster than me.  But many of them also had more problems right after recovery -- me, I no problems with fluids, foods, proteins --- cast iron sleeve so far.

I've also see people in their 60s doing very well.  

I'd say, if you qualify for this surgery, what else is there that gives you this much chance for success?  

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

seaco11
on 12/19/12 11:45 am - MA
VSG on 11/13/12

I am 57 and there were no concerns at all about age.  Like others, I did really well with surgery and recovery.  I have been a slow loser whether young or older, so no change there.  I'm really ok with a slower loss over time, as I concentrate on making good changes and choices for the long haul.  

As with many other things in life- don't let age hinder your choice to get healthy!

Ellyn 

Spencerella
on 12/19/12 1:38 pm - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12
I'm 56 and 9 weeks post op. I had an easy recovery and I don't see any real differences in my experience. Very glad I had the surgery

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

Ohiogirl
on 12/19/12 2:23 pm - OH
VSG on 10/02/12
I am 61 - had surgery 12 Weeks ago - down 47 lbs - maybe slower than some but I really can't exercise due to needing knee replacements and spinal stenosis and those are two of the reasons I had this surgery. So far my diabetes is in remission - a1c went from 7.1 to 5.2 already - no meds and I am off one (of 2) BP meds. My recovery was fairly easy - not as bad as I had expected. I was self pay - was a big decision to spend that kind of money but I think so far - it was worth it. Good luck.

Paula

Kelly-AnneH
on 12/19/12 3:36 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I'm 56, had a great surgical experience and easy recovery. I'm not losing quite as quickly as some, but MUCH faster and for longer than I have in a very long time. I'm currently at the weight I was 31 years ago - and getting younger every day.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

mokee
on 12/19/12 7:21 pm - OH

I had surgery 3 weeks ago at the age of 66.  My birthday was 2 days before surgery so no cake for me.  I had this done for my diabetes that was causing insulin increases and weight gain over the past 2 years.  What I have read is I was on the age border line.  Some doctors won't do it if you are over 65.  I have had a longer recovery time then some of the younger ones.  Weakness and tired a lot but this too will pass.  I have just started to be able to eat a little more than 2 ounces at a time and this is helping with that.

I am down 31 lbs since pre-op and am on my way.  Another 90-100 lbs would be great for me.  If it takes another year then so be it.  The diabetes has improved and I am off insulin but the numbers are not where they should be.  I will continue to work on that.

Best of luck on your journey.

Christine Heusinger
on 12/19/12 8:38 pm - GA

I am 60 and had my sleeve exactly two weeks ago today. I have had zero gas pains and zero nausea. I was back at the fitness center 5 days post op (treadmill only).

My surgeon said my quick and painless recovery was probably due to the fact that I was a regular at the fitness center (4x a week) doing elliptical and weights. January 1 is my goal date to get back on the elliptical and back to weights.

Surgery: Thursday,  December 6 at Wellstar Kennestone in Marietta, GA

HW (July): 243      3 days before surgery:  235   Current: 166

(I can't figure out how to control this ticker)        

louisamay
on 12/19/12 9:59 pm
VSG on 04/27/12

Was 58 when I got mine, and am 59 (barely) now. I had no issues recovering, bouncing back, and in fact had too much energy after only one week--did more than I should have, though it didn't cause any problems. I just knew I was doing too much, but I felt so good I wanted to move. That isn't typical, but I thought I'd mention it since it's not what I would have predicted, having had other surgeries in recent years.

My 12-year-old dog that weighed 100 pounds was having trouble getting up and down stairs sometimes, was clearly slowing down. He had arthritis in his back hips. He was very old for his breed, and I was feeling sad about the aging process and indicators that I might be losing him soon.

I decided to make it all a little easier on him by helping him lose some weight, hoping that would help his pain/hips.  I cut back on his dog food and used canned green beans to make him feel more full.  He lost seven or eight pounds, and to my shock--he started bouncing around like a young dog again.  No more struggling. He was absolutely springy, once he got that extra weight off his hips.

That is probably my first step toward VSG--looking at what happened to him and wondering why I wasn't doing something for myself. Seeing what a difference it made, and seriously considering doing something drastic for myself before the downhill slide got too much momentum.

And I have had the same results. With 75 pounds gone, I walk faster, have more energy, have great lab reports, no more high blood pressure, no more sleep apnea.

So in my case, my age at the time of the VSG didn't down my recovery in any way, and I feel and look years younger than I am, only 8 months later.

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 304 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 350 views