Happy Holidays - Funny Photo NSV

Sassy B
on 12/25/12 4:38 pm

I hope everyone’s enjoying this holiday season. In the spirit of the holidays, I had to share this amazing photo NSV with you all.

To date, I’m about 14 months post op, and I’ve lost 120lbs, which is about 85% of my excess weight. It’s been a positive journey, and I am very thankful for my continued improved health throughout the process. While I realize that losing 120lbs in a year is kinda crazy, I actually really never realized how different I loo****il today.

Today, a good friend of mine finally uploaded a boatload of pictures of our adventures in grad school (2008-2010). I was at my absolute heaviest during my grad school days (turns out, ramen noodles are bad for you). Regardless, school was a ton of fun, so I was excited to browse through the pictures and reminisce.

This was the first pic that I clicked on, and I died laughing. Admittedly, it’s not a great pic…. It was taken in a beer tent in Germany on my 28th birthday, and it turns out that drinking 4 liters of beer in the rain doesn’t really do a whole lot for your overall appearance. I’m also busting out some pretty sweet dance moves as well.

However, the thing that really, really shocked me was how completely different I look – I actually had to do a double-take to recognize myself. I’m not sure about all of you, but I actually often don’t think I “look” that much different now than I did when I started. Yeah, I’ve lost a ton of weight, and I’m a boatload healthier, but I still really “feel” like the same person (maybe just enhanced now).  Yeah, sure, I’m now shopping for size 12s instead of size 26s, but I always at least thought I looked the same in the face, etc.

I don’t mean this in a negative way – I was very lucky to be raised by a strong, confident mama who taught me that I was always beautiful, so I’ve always had a positive body image; I felt beautiful at 300 lbs, and I’ll feel beautiful wherever I end this journey. However, I guess when I look in the mirror everyday, the changes are so tiny, I haven’t realized how much my overall appearance has changed. It was a great Christmas present to see this photo today, and to realize how far I’ve come in such a short time.

Wishing you all a happy holiday season, and I hope you all take a moment to congratulate and thank yourselves this holiday for all the steps you’ve taken thus far to move towards a healthier you. Happy Holidays!

5'9", 31 year-old female pescetarian VSGer!   ///   Surgery by Dr. Steven Clark on 14-Oct-2012.

Metime12.
on 12/25/12 8:03 pm

You were and ate beautiful!

These are the first days of the rest of my life. I feel like i have gone through a rebirth, with a second chance for a new life to live and a new me to treasure! I will remain on the losers bench for the rest of my  healthier life!         
Urseo
on 12/25/12 10:01 pm - IL
VSG on 09/11/12

Thanks for sharing this.  I feel you on grad school- the stress and odd schedule put me at my heaviest, too.

I look forward to posting a similar set of photos.  Excellent work, and thanks for the inspiration!

(deactivated member)
on 12/25/12 10:43 pm
VSG on 06/04/12

You were beautiful before, but gorgeous now. I totally understand, when I look in the mirror I see the same girl I always thought I saw. Then I see pictures and am like WTH? Anyway, congrats. You've done awesome. broken heart

BIGGY
on 12/26/12 12:39 am - Tulsa, OK
VSG on 07/24/12

Thanks for sharing. You are looking amazing!!!!

HW:375 (04/02/12) 
SW:339 (07/
24/12)
CW:244 (11/13/14)

Shagdoll
on 12/26/12 12:55 am

You look amazing Sassy B.!!!  I love the before pic; you are having some fun right there!  Beautiful before and even more beautiful after.  Awesome progress, thanks for sharing!!!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

reneemosley
on 12/26/12 2:11 am - WA
VSG on 05/21/12

Sassy B....amazing attitude. I am the same, can't see my progress until I see a picture.

Keep on rocking it!

Be thankful for that awesome mom every day!

Band 5/2006          Revision to VSG 5/2012

Sassy B
on 12/26/12 8:07 am

Thanks all for the kind words. I'm not on OH a lot, but when I am, I'm always amazed by and grateful for this supportive community.

Happy Holidays!

becca

5'9", 31 year-old female pescetarian VSGer!   ///   Surgery by Dr. Steven Clark on 14-Oct-2012.

NinjaTurtles5
on 12/26/12 9:53 am

You are such an inspiration to all of us VSGers and you are beautiful. You have done a remarkable job on your journey to a healthy you!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 314 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views