1 week out of surgery, poop issues, tmi, but please help!

MissDannie
on 12/27/12 3:28 am - CA

Okay this may be tmi but i need help and advice! I had my surgery on 12/21, and last night I was told to take a little liquid laxitive (1tsp milk of magnesia) since I hadnt gone #2 yet. This morning at 5am I started going #2 in liquid form and have gone at least 6 times and its not even noon yet. Is this normal? Its starting to hurt. Can I take a small sip of liquid immodium?

Have you taken it?

Or should I just call my dr?

mickeymantle
on 12/27/12 3:34 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

ITS PROBABLY NORMAL, but it would not hurt to call the doctor

remember liquid in liquid out

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

arob843_
on 12/27/12 3:35 am
VSG on 11/19/12
I am 5 weeks out and have had to take mom before but what I find that has helped the most is I take miralax daily, hope this helps!
smiles24
on 12/27/12 3:45 am - MI

You have to take into consideration that you just have had MAJOR surgery!  It is going to take time to get your body back to "working" properly, but don't fear...this too shall pass.  (no pun intended!!  )   You can take a small sip of liquid immodium, if you can't take it anymore.  I don't think it's worth calling your doctor over.  Good luck! 

Sheryl
HW:  273   SW: 238   CW:  164  GW:  150  

ALIFETOLIVE
on 12/27/12 4:52 am
VSG on 12/12/12

I had the same issue. I drank a cup of Smooth Moves hot tea. It was not immediate, but it worked within that day.

Good Luck

mickeymantle
on 12/27/12 9:02 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

if your still taking pain killers that can slow up the works

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Kelly-AnneH
on 12/27/12 9:48 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
One small suggestion: Preparation H helps quite a lot with the soreness. It'll be handy to keep around as you gradually figure out what works best for you in this area.

Many, if not most, people have trouble getting going, (nothing in there to move along) then diarrhea for a bit, (reaction to the shakes?) then constipation issues until they figure out a routine that fits for them, whether it's daily Miralax, stool softener capsules, smooth move tea, occasional MOM, increased fibre in some form or their own personal mix from the list.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

pudgypants
on 12/27/12 9:58 am

Yes, definitely take Imodium. Had the exact same issue. Once I got that under control...I started taking a double dose of Probiotic (Culturell) everyday. Since then, I've had no problems. It took a while to get back to "normal"....like 3 days, but I was cramping so bad too. It helped everything get back to a good balance. My doc says this was a great way to handle it!

I am going to FIRE LANE BRYANT!!!     

VSG: 12/10/12  HW: 247   SW: 226   CW: 205.6  GW: 150 

faerietailz
on 12/27/12 10:43 am - NV

I had my surgery the same day  you did, and I have yet to have a regular bowel movement.  On Monday I had drank my first protein drink and ended up over doing it (drinking 10 oz instead of sticking to the 4 oz area).  Within about 5 min I was in the restroom.  One thing to keep in mind is that we're not really eating anything solid right now.  Popsicles, sugar free jello, lots and lots of fluid.  You really aren't going to have any solid stool.  The laxative is going to cause what it did only because we haven't had normal food yet.   I am not sure if it's a requirement to take the laxative or not.  I haven't had constipation perse, but I have had gas of couse.  I figured that once I eat some eggs or some of the pureed stuff that I'll probably have my first bowel movement.  If I don't, then at that point I'd probably hit up the doctor or would have hopped on here... lol.... Anyway, good luck on whatever you decide to do =)

abeautifulday21
on 12/27/12 12:44 pm
VSG on 11/26/12
Someone on here had posted about taking a tsp of mineral oil every night. I asked my doc and they agreed it was good alternative to laxatives. The nurses in the hospital used a phrase that everything has to wake up. It is a big adjustment but we are all here to support you. Hope you feel better soon.
abeautifulday21    
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 399 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 426 views