Looking for the why's of " no - low " fat

Miss150
on 12/29/12 10:48 am

I totally understand the reasons for low sugar and low calories and carbs, but can someone tell me why the emphasis on low fat?  Is it because of the calories ?  Or are there other reasons?  If so, what are they specific to the sleeve.  Appreciate this forum and am learning so much from everybody out there.  Thanks for your input.

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

ruggie
on 12/29/12 10:54 am - Sacramento, CA

I don't think there is an emphasis on low-fat?  At least in general.

You can't have "low everything".  

If you have to choose between a mixture of high protein with either carbs or fats mixed in, go with the fats everytime (healthy fats!).

- Fats make you feel full and sated.

- Carbs spike your insulin levels, which promote hunger and fat storage.

I think you just have to watch fats because they're calorie dense.  But if you survey the people the successful people on here that lose 100% (or more) excess body weight, you'll see they most often avoid carbs before they avoid fats.  (Again, go for healthy, mono- and polysaturated fats.  Like in nuts, and olive oil).

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

PoohHag
on 12/29/12 10:59 am - TN
VSG on 06/11/12

Just calories, as far as I know.  Better to choose the white meat chicken over the prime rib, just for calories to ounces ratio.

AnnieinIA
on 12/29/12 11:15 am
I second what is said here. I keep my calories pretty low and couldn't do so if I didn't keep an eye on my fats.
MsBatt
on 12/29/12 11:35 am

Fat is NOT your enemy. There are essential amino acids, and essential fats, but there are NO 'essential carbs'. Keep in mind that when foods are made artificially low- or no-fat, SOMETHING hs to take the place of the fat---and it's almost always CARBS.

jglitters
on 12/29/12 12:29 pm - KY
VSG on 09/24/12

Low fat intake also forces your body to burn it's stored fat for its functional needs as opposed to your new intake.

Positivity is a choice!

ruggie
on 12/29/12 2:00 pm - Sacramento, CA

Sorry, but I fell the need to clarify again with some of the responses in this thread.

Ms. Batt is correct and JGlitters is absolutely wrong.  This is not opinion; but a matter of fact.

Ms. Batt is right in that there is essential fatty acids but there's no such thing as essential carbs.  She's also right that when you displace fats out of food, something has to take it's place - and that's carbs, not protein.  Not sure?  Check out low-fat salad dressing compared to regular salad dressing.  You'll see that sugar replaces fat.

JGlitters is wrong.  This is an incorrect, unfounded hypothesis from the 1980s - your body has too much fat, so don't eat fat.  It sounds right if you know nothing about basic biochemistry.  Again, you have to do just a tiny bit of research and actually understand how insulin works in your body.  All those stupid, insipid 100 calorie snacks that are pretty much 100% carb only make us hungry half-an-hour later and crave yet more carbs.

Eat sugar -> insulin increases -> hunger increases and fat storage mode entered.

While it may make logical sense that "you have to stop eating fat because you have too much fat" it's simply wrong.  Again, I invite you to see which patients took a low-fat or low-carb route, and which got to their goal weight and stayed there.

If you find yourself during a day of choosing between:

• Eating 1,000 calories of 6 ounces of protein and carbs or
  • Eating 1,000 calories of 5 ounces of protein and fats

Pick the latter!

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

frisco
on 12/29/12 2:47 pm

Class is in session.......

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

full-of-hopen
on 12/29/12 11:59 pm

Thanks Ruggie!

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 12/29/12 4:21 pm
VSG on 10/09/12
I eat low carb and higher fat - healthy fats. What Ruggie says is absolutely correct. No, I don't guzzle olive oil or butter but I certainly don't purposely shy away from full fat cheeses and dairy and olive oil and sun flower oil. I choose lean meats but I don't run from a piece of chicken skin or what have you. Fats, healthy fats, are actually good for you, strange as that may sound.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 270 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views