LAB-BAND TO SLEEVE CONVERSION - AM I CRAZY?

fdematteo
on 1/2/13 7:05 am - East Haven, CT

I really need some advise.  I was banded in 2005 and lost 105lbs.  This February I had abdominoplasty - lost another 20lbs and I've been progressively tighter.  I have nothing in my band right now.  I cannot tolerate anything but liquids - even thick liquids are difficult at times.  My endoscopy was fine and my upper GI was fine - except for the fact that things are going thru way too slow.  No hernias, no slipping - nothing.  My surgeon wants to take it out.  She thinks that I'll do fine with the sleeve.  All indications are that insurance will cover the  revision.

Has anyone had this revision?  My surgeon cannot give me answer as to why this is going on - should I push for more testing? Any insight or advise is appreciated.

Thanks - Mary

MsBatt
on 1/2/13 7:52 am

Lots and lots and LOTS of people have had this revision, and I don't think I've heard even ONE say they regretted it.

jenlaur1
on 1/2/13 8:10 am - Westborough, MA
VSG on 08/19/13

From what my surgeon told me, the band is proving not to be the wonderful thing it was though to be at first.  I actually didn't lose much on it.  Then it started causing me to wake up choking at night and heartburn..which, now that I'm empty of a fill, the heartburn is coming back again. I had an upper gi also and it showed that my band was fine...well, once he took the fill all out, I was fine...anyway..my surgeon also says that they don't have any idea why I have the choking and heartburn either..must be related to the band being filled (by the way..I only had 4 cc's in my band)  I have to go through the whole process again b/c I didn't go through the band surgery through the surgeon I'm seeing now.  Hopefully will be sleeved by April.  I just figure that it'll be better to go through this than have to keep dealing with the band as it is now for the rest of my life or have it taken out and having the potential to gain back all the weight I had managed to lose.  I personally think you should cut your losses so to speak and go for the sleeve.  By what I have seen here and what my surgeon has told me, it seems like the way to go and hopefully will lose even more weight..get to my original goal weight!! :)  There are many conversions on this forum..I hope they'll be able to give you the insight you need.  Take care. :)

Highest Wt: 264, band May '05, pre sleeve wt 235, current 189, personal goal 140

Shelly S.
on 1/2/13 8:50 am - Stillwater, OK
VSG on 12/13/12

I couldn't hardly ge****er down due to a band slip. The nausea and heartburn were horrible. I had a band to sleeve revision on the 13th. I think once I get past the recovery stage and were I can eat I'm going to be very happy with my decision. If I could keep down a protein shake I would be happy right now but just can't tolerate them :(

Shelly

reneemosley
on 1/2/13 9:10 am - WA
VSG on 05/21/12

I am a band revision....this would happen to me every month (hormones) or when really stressed during the life of my band.

I'm ecstatic about my sleeve but I was never successful with my band.

I think the sleeve is a better surgery with many less complications.

Band 5/2006          Revision to VSG 5/2012

ruggie
on 1/2/13 10:42 am - Sacramento, CA

If you use the search feature here, you'll see there's lots and lots and lots and lots of people that have dumped their band for a sleeve or RnY.  Nearly no people regret the transition.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

Edelge
on 1/2/13 11:18 am
VSG on 04/02/13

In the several months I've been on the boards I've seen tons of Band to Sleevers and and none have regretted it.  I was ready to have the band in 2010 and became pregnant on the pre-op diet.  I am so thankful I didn't get the band and am now on schedule for a VSG in April.  The quote I see the most is that "the Sleeve is everything I thought the Band would be" from people who have had the revision.  Good luck. 

bigred_z
on 1/2/13 12:21 pm - Independence, KY
VSG on 11/16/12

If I had it to do over, I would have chosen the sleeve the first time around.  While I did lose with the band, the never hitting the sweet spot, the port revision, the slip, the erosion, etc etc...No thanks and good riddance. 

You won't regret the sleeve.

Lori RN, MS     Band 2/9/07 265lbs    Removed 4/13/12@ 185lbs (slip&erosion) Sleeve 11/16/12@ 225lbs  If I could get as excited about exercise as I am about a Big Mac...Now in ONEderland!!  197.4

fdematteo
on 1/3/13 8:13 am - East Haven, CT

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE FOR THE ADVISE AND ENCOURAGEMENT.  I'm waiting to see if the insurance will cover the revision.  I meet the medical necessity, but what I cannot tease out of the insurance company is if I have to meet medical necessity AND still have a high BMI.  I have Anthem BC/ BC of CT.  They have been great so far.  They even covered the tummy tuck without having to appeal.  I cannot imagine that it would be in their best interest to force someone who successfully lost weight, to gain it again in order to have a revision.  If anyone has any experience with this - please let me know.

Thanks again - Mary

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 114 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 338 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 387 views