Holiday Weight Gain

robinceleste
on 1/2/13 9:40 am
VSG on 05/24/12

My nutritionist told me that weight gain is part of the process but I was a little upset when i gained 5 pounds over the holidays.  I admit that there were some office pot lucks and I did have cake and the like. I am going back to the basics but I was wondering if anyone else had this experience?  I am about six months out and have lost around 60 pounds pre gain

(deactivated member)
on 1/2/13 9:57 am

Regain is only part of the process if we allow it to be.  It is not a certainty and is all based on our eating patterns.  The control is fully in your hands.  You can do this.  What is your plan now?   What are you going to do differently?  You don't really have to answer me, but you need a detailed plan for yourself.  Put strong verbs in your sentences and be very specific.  (not to me, to you).  What would success look like?  What do you need to do in order to be successful, I am sure you already know, you just need to remember and then, do it.  If you really don't know what to do, let me know and I can help you come up with a plan, but I am sure you have a good one already.

ruggie
on 1/2/13 10:35 am - Sacramento, CA

I still won't eat things like cake, because I know carbs are a trigger for me, make me crave sweets more.

That doesn't mean I don't have some fun at pot lucks - but I still go for whatever is around that's protein rich and sugar poor.  And if I "pig out" one evening, I know I have to "pay my bills" and eat lighter the next day - instead of just eating the same.

Good luck!

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

econtiff
on 1/2/13 11:48 am - FL
VSG on 04/24/12

Hey Ruggie :)

hollirrose
on 1/2/13 10:43 am
VSG on 04/21/12
I'm sorry you had a gain and think it is great that you are getting back on track. I wanted this year to be different then the last few years. I said a whole lotta' "no thank yous" this holiday season. I find, that for the most part, goodies dont taste like they used to. When I eat them.. they dont taste great, cause me to have regret, and prevent weight loss. None of those are good for me. I kept track and from Thankgiving to New Years I lost 23 lbs. Im not a perfect eater and did have a couple of days that I had more carbs and calories then I wanted..but for the majority of time...I passed on most of the "off plan" stuff. I also tracked and logged every bite of food that I ate. The good and bad stuff. This helped me stay on track, especially knowing that my food log is public on mfp. Dont feel bad. What is done ..is done. Get back to eating on your plan and those pounds will be off in no time. Good luck!
robinceleste
on 1/2/13 10:50 am
VSG on 05/24/12

Thank you for the feedback.  This experience has helped me recognize my triggers and the importance of going back to the basis.  My nutritionist did tell me to make the holidays the one day and not the month.  I did a combo of both.  The plus is that I still worked out. Now I need to resume to focus on protein fruits and vegetables,  Back to the protein shakes daily.  Thanks again

PoohHag
on 1/2/13 11:36 am - TN
VSG on 06/11/12

I fell off the wagon too, but fortunately didn't gain.  Didn't lose either.  Big fat zero change for the month.

Got back on plan Monday and trying to stay there.  

econtiff
on 1/2/13 11:50 am - FL
VSG on 04/24/12

Your nutritionist sounds smart! My counselor also told me to make the holiday 1 day and not 1 month.

I also believe I have some self sabotage going on. Being only 12lbs from goal; I believe a "fear of success" is creeping up on me. I am going back to my bariatric support group this month and going back to basics.

What "saved" me is that I exercise a lot now so I didn't gain weight but I definitely did not feel as in control as I wanted to feel.

tinamarie47
on 1/3/13 10:17 am - Hot Springs, SD
I have gained back 10# so getting back to basics. The trick is to catch it early and don't allow 10 to become 20 then 30 an so on. I have realized it just was not worth it to go through this over again.

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.   Phil: 4:13    View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 397 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 426 views