Gallbaldder removal with Sleeve

Buttercup134
on 1/24/13 4:14 am - Virginia Beach, VA

Hi everyone.  I'm having my surgery on 13 Feb.  I'm currently scheduled for a RNY but am considering switching to a Sleeve.  My surgeon noticed some gallstones and plans to remove my gallbladder during the surgery.  Has anyone had theirs removed at the same time?  Any problems or things I need to know about if I get the sleeve and gallbladder removed?  I read on gallbladder websites to avoid milk and dairy products yet this is what we are supposed to eat (low fat milk, yogurt, cheese, etc... Also, I'm considerd that currently I don't have heartburn that I might develop heartburn?  Is this possible?  Thanks

Caroline

SW: 227 (21 Sept 12) CW: 218 (22 Jan 2013) GW: 150 Surgery scheduled for 13 Feb 2013

Debating between RNY and Sleeve...

FutureHopes
on 1/24/13 4:21 am - Minneapolis, MN

Hello!

im having my sleeve on 2/22 and i just found out that i have gallstones as well. My surgeon will be removing my gallbladder at the same time he does my sleeve, i wasn't told to avoid anything.

Cant wait to take my after picture

2/22 My new beginning

Add me on MFP: Going2w1n

hope2013
on 1/24/13 4:26 am - Philadelphia, PA
I am having surgery on 1/31/2013 & I too am having my gall bladder removed. He didn't restrict anything. However, on this site ..I noticed a lot of sleeve patients talking about heartburn. I guess I'll shall see after I get sleeved.

Good luck on your journey.
Kelly M.
on 1/24/13 4:38 am - NY

I want my gallbladder removed when I have surgery.  I asked my surgeon about it, and he said he prefers not to do it at the same time, because the stomach is on the one side of the body and the gallbladder is on the other side.  I've had gallstone problems in the past, but not enough to warrant having my gall bladder out.  I'd really like to kill two birds with one stone, so I may ask again next time I see him.

SW: 360 / HW: 368 / CW: 215

I was sleeved 05/16/2013

My  blog...come take a peek:  Changed Gurl

zra
on 1/24/13 5:07 am
VSG on 02/06/13 with

My surgery is scheduled for February 6 and they plan to take my gallbladder out, too, since I have stones. I'd rather not have two surgeries, so I'm fine with this. Good luck!

HW: 363  SW: 340  

Crabadams72
on 1/24/13 6:17 am - Silver Spring, MD
Go on web md and read about GB removal.

I had mine removed and I am now lactose intolerant with certain items. Very early out I ate soup that had a bit of cheese in it and I immediately had to go to the bathroom. I cannot eat ice cream or any heavy dairy. Cheese no longer bothers me
But it takes a few months for your liver to do what the GB used to do.

Reflux and GB issues are not related.

A sleeved stomach initially produces acid just like you still have a normal tummy. You may be put on a PPI (google if you don't know what that is) for the early months. I have GERD so I have to stay on protonix for acid.

VSG 6/10/2011  Dr. Ann Lidor BMore MD 5'5 HW-247 SW-233 GW-145 CW-120

http://www.youtube.com/user/72Crabadams   Me rambling about my journey : )

Buttercup134
on 1/24/13 7:10 am - Virginia Beach, VA
Sounds awful to be honest but it'll stop me from eating some items that I like ie cheese. I don't really have heartburn now but on some foods I do feel it. I couldn't tell u what the foods are though as I've never paid attention. I don't usually take tums or anything either. I just read where with gallbladder gone, the bile won't be there to help digest so lots of stomach acid in there that may cause acid reflux. I'll have to read more as the RNY alleviates heartburn and I don't understand why.

Is being on protonix that bad? Meaning the new stomach tolerates it? How r we supposed to get our dairy in if we can eat or drink dairy?

Caroline

SW: 227 (21 Sept 12) CW: 218 (22 Jan 2013) GW: 150 Surgery scheduled for 13 Feb 2013

Debating between RNY and Sleeve...

Crabadams72
on 1/24/13 12:18 pm - Silver Spring, MD
Like I said before at first I had issues with cheese but not anymore. I can drink lactose free milk, I can drink premier shakes but some dairy still does not agree with me.

Each persons experience will vary. The protonix is for reflux and it isn't bad. It keeps the acid at bay and the stomach churning that mom mucks hunger.
VSG 6/10/2011  Dr. Ann Lidor BMore MD 5'5 HW-247 SW-233 GW-145 CW-120

http://www.youtube.com/user/72Crabadams   Me rambling about my journey : )

laurahuff65
on 1/24/13 9:43 am

I was having pain on my left side (long before VSG) through a CT scan of my abdomen they found multiple 10mm stones in the gallbladder. My gallbladder wasn't even mentioned at my pre op. I still have my gallbladder, I'm assuming I have silent stones. 

Fiona73
on 1/25/13 1:45 am - WA
VSG on 01/22/13

I was just sleeved Tuesday and had my gallbladder removed.  No issues so far but really too early to tell.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 67 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 252 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 320 views