Happy Surgiversary to ME! One Year Out - with pics

Rosemary1031
on 2/6/13 7:06 am - Chula Vista, CA
VSG on 02/06/12

Hello community :) It's been exactly six months since my last confession. In it, I highlight some of my accomplishments since surgery and also share observations about all the wonderful changes that have come with my VSG, including meeting my best friend and main squeeze at our VSG support group. Please read if you're so inclined to get the full story. But for now, an update!

The WEIGHT

To say that I've struggled with my weight all my life is seriously an understatement. I think I might have been chubby in the womb, seriously. I just can't recall a time in my life where I've been a "healthy, normal" weight. I grew up as that chubby kid with the big cheeks that everyone just wanted to squeeze. Adolescence gave me that initial awareness of what was deemed a "normal" and attractive weight, and I wanted to be noticed and make friends so I understood that being thinner would better my chances. Mom took me to Jenny Craig, and 50 lbs (and thousands of dollars later) I felt confident and normal enough at 240 lbs. I felt like an "acceptable" fat girl that way. After JC, it was one diet after another, and yes I always fell off each wagon and managed to put on 20 lbs in between diets. In late 2003, at the age of 23, I had reached 475 lbs. I was tremendously uncomfortable and so I began going to the gym and jumping on that elliptical. On my own -  with diet, exercise, and therapy - I lost a little over 100 lbs, but it took me 2 years to accomplish that. After that weight loss, I never seemed able to lose more, and I was reticent for many years at 350. February 6th, 2012, I had VSG and I went from a pre-surgery weight of 330 to my current and smallest weight since adolescence, 220 lbs.

Before Surgery

Obstacles

This year has had so many highs! I've lost track of my NSVs because there are too many to count, but some of my favorites that still just tickle me are: easily crossing my legs (LOVE), I can now shop for clothes ANYWHERE, I fit in all booths, I am not restricted to ride or get on anything because of my weight, and recently my wife has been able to pick me up and tackle me into a lil' cuddle sesh ;) That one is my favorite so far. My first VSG year has also been full of obstacles, but not related to the surgery. I have hurt my knee and recently fell on my bum and hurt my tailbone. My knee really had me out of commission for months, I had a meniscus tear that made my knee feel like it was popping out of place constantly! It was very scary, but luckily it has been better and I feel the meniscus has healed for the time being. I wish I could say that I wa****ting the gym HARD to assist in my weight loss but out of fear of hurting my knee I've avoided strenuous exercise. But the energy I now have allows me to do physical things I never could before, like walking at work daily and being able to walk for longer periods of time, and bike riding. Now that my knee is better, I am waiting for my tailbone to start feeling better so that I can take up activities that I've enjoyed all my life, like Yoga, and cardio dance. This is my current goal, and a MUST to continue the success of my surgery and take me to my goal.   

Wardrobe

O.M.G., I can shop anywhere! Clothes shopping was very overwhelming for me the moment I realized I could no longer fit in the smallest size at Torrid. I didn’t know what to do! I knew nothing of other stores. I've been big all my life and my wardrobe was limited to Lane Bryant, Torrid, Avenue, and occasionally the Plus Size section of Target. I had to consult with my teenage niece for advice on fashion and where to find my style. AND! there was a period where I didn’t want to buy clothes because I'd shrink out of them in two weeks. Clothes have been confusing, but since my weight loss has slowed recently, I feel better about picking nicer threads. Shopping still overwhelms me. It's a very surreal, emotional experience almost each time. There were a few times that I've been at the mall shopping and I'll pop in to Torrid, which is my style and all I know about it, only to have my reality confirmed to me: I am slowly shrinking out of plus sizes all together. Target is a great place for me. Sure, the clothes are not cutting-edge stylish but there is so much to choose from at this size! And I can comfortably fit in L/XL tops, and size 15 jeans :)

Six Months Post Op

The Rrrrromance

As I mentioned in my 6 month update, I met a special person at my surgeon's post-op support group. She was sleeved a month after me, by our same doctor. They say like seeks like and it amazes me that I found her this way when we never ran across one another in our gay community in San Diego. If only I had met her sooner, but it wasn’t in the stars to meet then, and we like to say that there was something special about meeting now, and having our lives, our VSG experience, fit together so well. Things are still going on stronger than ever. We are engaged, ridiculously happy, and planning November nuptials. When we tell people our story, they are amazed, but that is just the half of it. She is an ideal for me, probably better than I could have imagine My Ideal Partner. We are both living the time of our lives and making each and every day count. I am an exceptionally blessed woman :)

Moving Forward With A Plan

Months 3 through 8 post-surgery were the best and most successful months of my surgery. I was dropping lbs like nothing, even with my bum knee and low activity. As I said, I couldn't stay in new clothes long enough. The loss during this time was dramatic. Yes, it has significantly slowed, and I was stagnant during November and December, which was really tough, but I didn’t gain so I was very happy about that. Holidays usually had me gaining the most weight in the year. The Holidays were over and I've been sticking to The Plan, the basic caloric suggestion, and of course making high-protein low-carb choices. But I don't feel like I'm on my own. I have a built-in tool that reminds me when I've had enough and when I made a poor choice. From here on out, it will be my choices in food that determine how successful I continue to be, and getting myself back to moderate physical activity after my tailbone heals is also top on my list. This has been a great year and I want to continue to have more great years being balanced, healthy, and happy.

One Year Post-OP!

(This weekend)

AmberK
on 2/6/13 7:27 am
VSG on 03/07/12 with

Thanks for posting your story! You have done fabulous and come so far in your journey! congrats! 

VSG 3/07/12     HW:260   SW: 249   CW:164  

fran67
on 2/6/13 8:27 am - NJ
VSG on 03/08/12
You look wonderful! Congrats!

4' 11" HW 218 SW 214 Original Goal of 125 in 8.5 mos Lowest Weight 119 CW 133 Trying to get back in the 122-128 range 

SuzyNZ
on 2/6/13 8:37 am
VSG on 09/17/12

You look great and congrats on your engagement! :)

Suzy wink (Age: 41, Height: 6'1,  SW: 169.4kg/372lb.  CW: 80.5kg/177lb.  Total lost: 88.9kg/195lbs)

Jenny C.
on 2/6/13 9:35 am

So wonderful to read your story...congrats on EVERYTHING!!

Angelicashearts
on 2/6/13 10:46 am - NV
VSG on 11/14/12

You look amazing!!!

gorditabonita
on 2/6/13 10:55 am - Springfield, VA
VSG on 01/23/13 with

Thank you for sharing. What a beautiful post! You have done an amazing job and are a true inspiration. angry

HW - 287 (12/2007); GW - 165; CW - 164....proudly wearing a size 8!On my journey from LapBand to VSG.....LapBand on 12/19/07, LapBand removal on 8/8/12 and sleeve on1/23/13! Consider joining me at Band2Sleeve!( http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Band2Sleeve/)  Friend me on MyFitnessPal too! I'm gorditabonita74.

Sasny
on 2/6/13 2:01 pm
VSG on 03/20/12

Looking great!,

frisco
on 2/6/13 4:10 pm

Great Year !

Great Story !

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

(deactivated member)
on 2/6/13 4:17 pm

Thank you for sharing your success with us. I love your story and wish you continued joy in both your weight loss and your personal life.