Feeling bitter and angry...

HilaryH8103
on 2/13/13 2:37 pm - WA

I'm scheduled for VSG on 2/25 but as of today I was told that my surgery may have to be pushed out a few weeks or longer and I am NOT happy about it at all.

I failed the first urine test because I continued to smoke, which I take full responsibility for... I was honest with the nurse and told her that I wasn't going to pass but I would take the test anyway. So I did and like I warned her, I failed.... She said that's ok and to just keep trying. I gave her my word that I would quit that day and I did. I haven't had a cigarette since 2/5. I went in yesterday 2/12 to have the UA and I was happy because I had stuck to my word and I was going to pass the UA with flying colors BUT again I FAILED... What the heck??? I was shocked. The nurse came in and said that there was the faintest line showing up and that this is considered a failed test. Not to mention that I was 9 pounds down on my 2/5 appt. and suddenly a week later I am up 11 pounds at yesterdays (2/12) appt.?? Something isn't right!!!

I jumped on my brand new scale today and it said that I'm up 7.5 pounds from yesterday. NO WAY!!! I have been doing excellent on my pre-op diet. I eat under 30 carbs per day and only eat about 1,200 calories. I drink 2-3 protein shakes per day and eat tuna or chicken. Occasionally, I'll have a spinach & kale smoothie. I drink tons and tons of water.

I have rheumatoid arthritis and over this last weekend I had a very bad flare up. My feet are always swollen but this weekend my right arm doubled in size and my right ankle swelled up way more than usual. I know that this quick weight gain has got to be all water weight. My concern is, is that if I don't get my weight down by the 20th than I will no longer be able to have surgery on the 25th. I do not have control over R.A or when my body chooses to have a flare up and I feel that since I've been following all of the instructions I should still be allowed to keep my surgery date. As long as I am sticking to the diet than my liver should be getting smaller. The water I gain in my hands & feet don't affect my liver... My rheumatologist and I have tried everything for my R.A and nothing works. I'm taking lasix everyday but that still doesn't help with the extra water.

I've really tried to be rational about this and understand everyone else's point of view but frankly I am so irritated that I really have nothing nice to say. I do not want to wait any longer. I have waited long enough. I don't know what to do or who to turn to. I feel like I'm just wasting my breath because policies are policies. What happened to treating people on a case by case basis. No two people are the same.

Does anyone know how to get rid of water weight and quickly? I should mention that I am unable to work out, my feet are very swollen and painful, I can't wear tennis shoes. I've been wearing slippers every where I go for almost 2 years now because my feet are 3-4 X's their normal size. I used to be able to fit in a womens size 10 shoe but because of my rheumatoid arthritis I am now in a mens size 14 slipper. Not too cute!!!

Thank You,

Hilary

katikati
on 2/13/13 4:14 pm, edited 2/13/13 4:15 pm - Eads, TN
VSG on 02/06/13

I'm so sorry to hear about that.  I did not have to jump through hoops like that at all before my surgery.  I can see the wisdom in it, but at the same time, it makes me grateful my clinic doesn't do that.  Granted, I don't smoke, but I would have utterly failed any weight loss requirements.  I had to have a cardiac clearance right before my surgery, and the cardiologist prescribed a diuretic for me, and I definitely saw a huge difference after taking it.  I shed pounds and pounds of water weight I was carrying.

I'm not a doctor or a nurse, so I don't recommend running out to the store and picking up a diuretic, but maybe you could talk to your PCP about retaining water and see if they would recommend you using a diuretic.  Also, I wonder if you could call back to your surgeon's office and talk to someone about the urine tests, and request to take another today, and tomorrow, and as many times as needed to show that the line is fading each day until it comes back clean to show that you kept your word.  We have to be our own advocates and stand up for ourselves.  No one will do it for us.  We can encounter kind and encouraging healthcare workers who go above and beyond in their job (and I have), but at the end of the day, it is just their job.  This is your life, so don't be afraid to bug people about what you need.  As long as you do it respectfully and kindly, it can be very effective.

(deactivated member)
on 2/13/13 4:58 pm - Greater Austin Area
VSG on 02/03/12

My weight ballooned 20 lbs right away when I quit smoking. That could be why the scale has gone up even though you are following the diet. I really hope this doesn't stop you getting surgery. I hope you can get it asap. Please explain that to the doc/nurses if they ask about a sudden weight gain. It's VERY normal to gain  weight fast after quitting smoking. Tell them that's just another reason you need surgery! You don't want it to get out of control! I ended up gaining 50 lbs the year after I quit smoking with absolutely zero changes in exercise/food. Smoking really does boost the metabolism and when it's gone--the body has to readjust and it's slow to do so. 

debiosbo
on 2/13/13 5:11 pm - WA
VSG on 02/06/13

I'm so sorry about your water weight is lasix a water pill if so I would double up on them and see what happens if it works head right back into the Doctors and have a weight in (dont call first then they can not say no)even though it should be ok with them they are really just thinking of your health just do know they want you to have surgery thats how they make their money...NOW as for the smoking dont start again because of this you wont get surgery then...so they want you to have surgery and you want to have surgery if you do your part and it sounds like your doing a great job then when the two of you figure out about the weight (water) then everything is going to go just fine I promise and you will be having surgery on your date... just dont mess it up with smoking. I know you can do this,Keep up the good work, Debi

LilSleeved
on 2/13/13 5:55 pm

don't double up on your Lasix, if you do, your potassium can drop and that would delay your surgery further. 

sometimes my Lasix only works if I rest after taking it - if I am up and working, it does nothing. 

Lost 271lbs with my LapBand in 22 months!  My Band malfunctioned and I gained almost 42lbs and then revised to the Sleeve 9/24/12!  I lost another 140 lbs with my Sleeve!  Loved the LapBand and Lovin' The Sleeve!

angelladyclaire
on 2/16/13 11:13 am - MO

Absolutely DO NOT just "double up" on your lasix! What dangerous advice! Also, it's EXTREMELY rude just to walk in to your doctor's office without an appointment. Take it from someone who used to work in one! If you call first, I'm sure they'd agree to let you come in and weigh. 

HW: 283   SW: 262  Height: 5'4''  Surgery:​ 2/13/13

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

mary d
on 2/13/13 6:35 pm

Dandelion tea and fresh steamed asparagus are natural diuretics.  Cut back on sodium, tuna has a lot of sodium.  Congratulations on quilting smoking.  You still have 10 days to get everything in line for your surgery.  Stay calm and positive.  Things will get better if you don't smoke and lose weight and stay optimistic.

Lap Band 2006  

VSG 2008

desertmom
on 2/13/13 7:24 pm - Dubai, XX
VSG on 03/13/12
Hi

I am at goal and even now,every time Ai quit smoking my weight is up 5 pounds within 2 days,and I DONT EAT MORE!When I start again,the weight is gone in a couple of days.

It is super hard to quit!Congrats on doing it.Just keep doing what you are with the diet and keep drinking your water,the weight will come off again.

HilaryH8103
on 2/13/13 7:26 pm - WA
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I appreciate everyone's thoughts on this matter.

I'll try to remain optimistic. I have no intentions of starting to smoke cigarettes again. I've needed to quit for a long time now & the fact that I have makes my soon to be 10 year old son extremely happy. I also feel better & smell better.

I've taken lasik in the past & yes it is a diuretic and I've noticed that even on 20mg it didn't do too much for me. I'll have to try laying down for a bit and see if that'll help me any. Why is that, do you know LilSleeved??

I've never heard of Dandelion tea or steamed asparagus working as a diuretic but I'm willing to try anything. Thank you!!!

My Moms already requested a week off from work to help take care of me, I can't ask her to reschedule now. She's a Branch Manager & her office depends on her I can't ask her to keep changing the date because I have some serious water weight gain issues. I just wish my surgeons office understood that. This surgery just doesn't affect me but it also affects everyone around me. My Moms time is just as important as my surgeons time. I am just so grateful that she can get this time off and help me out. I really don't want her to be forced to reschedule.

Thanks again everybody,

Hilary
bigdobes
on 2/13/13 10:19 pm

I used to be on 20mg of Torsemide (diuretic) twice a day and it would only work when I was laying down so let's just say sleep was interrupted many times throughout the night.  The reason for this is gravity.  When you are standing, sitting, or moving around the water tends to collect in the lowest part of your body, I.e. feet, ankles, etc.  when you are laying down the water then has a chance to work it's way back up.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 70 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 264 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views