Net carbs vs total carbs???

SleeplessinAbitibi
on 3/4/13 9:42 am - Canada
VSG on 10/23/12

I am about 4.5 month post op...I was self pay and since I live in the boonies (6 hrs drive from surgeon)...I'm on my own.  I have been able to manage thanks to OH.  I have not seen the surgeon or a dietician since my surgery.  The plan I follow for my food intake is based on the many many discussions I've read on here.

I think I'm successful so far...I have lost 79 lbs...hope to lose 30 - 50 more, the end goal is a moving target lol...I follow the advice of many vets on here...600 - 800 cal, 80 g protein and I try to be between 20 and 40g of carbs.  The carbs levels are difficult..I am more often closer to the 40 g than the 20.  I don't eat bread rice, pasta or potatoes...my carbs come from greek yogurt mainly.

I only track total carbs...I have never really looked at the net carb amounts. I was shopping online at a low carb store and most products are shown with net carbs amounts.  Many products are interesting..Atkins stuff, low carb crackers...etc..I could justify the net carb amounts but not really the total carb amount!!!  Is this how most people account for their carbs? Net carbs instead of total carbs?   I'm really hoping someone will pipe up and tell me that i can actually increase my carbs lol.  

Nathalie

“Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.” 

Deckeriv
on 3/4/13 10:40 am - TX
VSG on 03/26/13

I asked my NUT the exact same question a couple of days ago. She said 50 carbs is my target for my pre-op diet and 4 to 5 shakes a day that each had 17 carbs. See the problem? I'm no math wizard but it doesn't take one to see the dichotomy. So after I pointed out that the math didn't work, she pointed out that each shake has 8 grams of fiber and she said to only count the net carbs...so only 9 carbs per shake.

I changed my carbs on MFP to 75 and my grams of fiber to 25 (which I understand everyone should have to stay regular). Even if I don't get enough fiber, I make sure I'm below 50 net carbs.

800 calories and less than 20 net carbs is the shizzle

SleeplessinAbitibi
on 3/4/13 11:04 am - Canada
VSG on 10/23/12

yes...it makes sense that the fibers can be removed....I'm too scared to up the carbs anyway...I will certainly do the net carb thing once I'm at goal!!!

Nathalie

frisco
on 3/4/13 10:51 am
On March 4, 2013 at 5:42 PM Pacific Time, SleeplessinAbitibi wrote:

I am about 4.5 month post op...I was self pay and since I live in the boonies (6 hrs drive from surgeon)...I'm on my own.  I have been able to manage thanks to OH.  I have not seen the surgeon or a dietician since my surgery.  The plan I follow for my food intake is based on the many many discussions I've read on here.

I think I'm successful so far...I have lost 79 lbs...hope to lose 30 - 50 more, the end goal is a moving target lol...I follow the advice of many vets on here...600 - 800 cal, 80 g protein and I try to be between 20 and 40g of carbs.  The carbs levels are difficult..I am more often closer to the 40 g than the 20.  I don't eat bread rice, pasta or potatoes...my carbs come from greek yogurt mainly.

I only track total carbs...I have never really looked at the net carb amounts. I was shopping online at a low carb store and most products are shown with net carbs amounts.  Many products are interesting..Atkins stuff, low carb crackers...etc..I could justify the net carb amounts but not really the total carb amount!!!  Is this how most people account for their carbs? Net carbs instead of total carbs?   I'm really hoping someone will pipe up and tell me that i can actually increase my carbs lol.  

Your doing awesome !!!!

Keep doing what your doing..... don't change it up !!!

Take this time to learn about net carbs, fiber and such..... than when your firmly at goal and have found your maintenance levels.... start playing with the net carb thing.....

The problem with net carb counters (not all) they are trying to justify a higher carb count, which is fine and all..... but in reality for most........We ingest a fair amount of "hidden carbs" eating outside the home..... your eating more sugars and starches than you think....... 

Keep on doing it !

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

SleeplessinAbitibi
on 3/4/13 11:01 am - Canada
VSG on 10/23/12

LOL...Thanks Frisco...that is exactly the answer I knew I'd get ....I guess i'll pass on the low carbs crackers!!

I guess I'll take the next few months to understand the good and bad carb thing AND the net vs total.  I really really feel that my keeping the carbs low is what has worked for me...just as I now see that carbs or should I say the abuse of carbs is what got me to the operating room!!!...I don't why I couldn't see it so clearly before....go figure huh? 

Nathalie

Keith L.
on 3/4/13 11:08 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Depends what's in them. If they have 30 carbs and 29 of them are fiber (as in the case of corn bran), then they will be good for you in a couple of ways. One they will satisfy the need for crunch two they will provide you with a great amount of fiber that will help you with #2. So the net carb thing comes with reading the label, reading the ingredients and understanding what the source of carbs is and making sure it is not hidden sugars and/or starches. Those are the things that will hurt you in the long run.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Keith L.
on 3/4/13 11:05 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Fantasti****ep up the good work. I am guilty of looking at net carbs for certain things. Fiber for one for sure, but sugar alcohols are a bit confusing and because of labeling laws it is entirely possible you are consuming more carbs than what is on the label because depending on the type of sugar alcohol it is, some of them are partially digestible. 

I think with LowCarb companies I like to think they are a bit more reliable because they are more likely to fall under scrutiny but its hard to say since the labeling laws allow that kind of flexibility.

Here is an article that explains it:

http://www.mendosa.com/netcarbs.htm

SleeplessinAbitibi
on 3/4/13 11:14 am - Canada
VSG on 10/23/12

OMG...lol...don't even mention sugar alcohols to me...I chose the ostrich approach to those...hand in the sand...they don't bother me so I go with the  label with this one and don't count it.  It's becoming so complicated to figure out what we truly ingest.

In truth...I had never been one to use diet products and artificial sweeteners...but since my surgery i shudder to think of the Splenda I've ingested.  I will re-balance everything once I'm closer to my goal weight, in the meantime I figure I have to use all that is available to me.  

Nathalie

Keith L.
on 3/4/13 11:17 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I eat as little Splenda as possible. I have heard some controversy about the filler they use to bulk up the actual sucralose. I bought some straight up sucralose and some micro spoons to measure it out since it only takes a very little bit to do the job. I haven't tried it yet. I mostly use Stevia and I find that it does the trick. There is some controversy about that too and the go to sweetener seems to be Erythritrol right now, but I am not converted yet. Stevia is supposed be natural and I am ok with the flavor. There are some people the say it make them have cravings but that has not happened to me.

Amanda F.
on 3/4/13 1:06 pm, edited 3/4/13 1:07 pm - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 01/10/13

I'm allergic to artificial sweeteners, so I use Stevia. I have never experienced any of the side effects the fear mongers talk about.

Referral to Bariatric Program at TWH: 08/09/11     Orientation at TWH: 08/17/11                 Nurse Practitioner: 10/12/11
Social Worker: 12/02/11                                         Nutrition Class: 12/21/11                         Nutrition Assessment: 01/26/12
Psycho-Social Assessment: 05/31/12                      Meet Dr. Penner (TWH) 11/30/12            Pre-Admission: 12/10/12

Surgery Date: January 10, 2013
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

For more information on the Midtown Toronto Walking Club, please click here.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 71 views