Down 80 lbs and BiPap retitration shows pressure needs to go way UP!! What????

Ohiogirl
on 3/20/13 12:30 pm - OH
VSG on 10/02/12

I'm 5 1/2 months out - down 80 lbs - off BP meds, diabetes in remission, knee pain improved and overall I'm pretty happy I had VSG.  But - I have not gotten a goodnight;s sleep since surgery.  I have been using my BiPap for 9 years -pre surgery I would  turn it on and 7 hrs of great sleep but since surgery - I keep waking up during the night and never get to deep sleep.  No new meds -  don't use caffeine so my pulmonologist ordered a retitration - pressure has been 12/8 for last few years - was tested before surgery - 12/8 was pressure.  Last week did re titration and it came back that pressure needs to be increased to 16/12!!! Problem with that is - after increasing it - OMG - such a belly full of air - I hurt all day - yes I use a chin strap.  Can't get into my dr til April 4 - I am so uncomfortable - I called her office today - I am concerned that almost 6 months of not sleeping and AHI and AI numbers increasing steadily  (they have quadrupled since October) - that I will either not wake up or have a stroke.  I thought losing weight would help me get off my BiPap or at least lower the pressure needed.  Thing is - even when I increased the pressure to 16/12 - still didn't sleep well - felt I was in a wind tunnel all night.  I also have had a dry mouth since surgery - no new meds - and I have cotton mouth during the night when I wake up.  Oh and I've lost 1 1/2 inches in my neck.

So I am wondering if anyone else has had a problem like this.  I'm tired - I need sleep and I can't tolerate the belly pain from all the air - if you have sleep apnea and have ever had aerophagia - it is miserable as you know.

Anyone with suggestions??????

Paula

SuzaQue
on 3/20/13 12:53 pm - Glendale, AZ
VSG on 04/06/13

Maybe a different mask?  You've lost weight in your face and head too so maybe your mask isn't fitting like it should.

Preop diet start  /VSG Surgery / Current / Goal
               286                 277            219       165

Lapband / Lowest wt LB unfilled because of problems

286                  250

Highest:     302

Ohiogirl
on 3/20/13 1:02 pm - OH
VSG on 10/02/12

Mask fits fine - my Bipap shows if mask is leaking and it is not but thanks for replying.  I've checked the hose, gotten a new humidifier - had Bipap checked for pressure - I've tried to think of everything.  Just want to get some sleep. :(

louisamay
on 3/21/13 12:38 am
VSG on 04/27/12

I am concerned that almost 6 months of not sleeping and AHI and AI numbers increasing steadily  (they have quadrupled since October) - that I will either not wake up or have a stroke.

Call back and leave this message.  I have no idea if your fears are realistic, but this is what your doctor needs to hear so you can either be reassured or seen sooner.

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 258 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 324 views