When will food go down without that tightness of the chest feeling?

Swiftkick00
on 4/10/13 1:50 am

Hello everyone....I'm 7 weeks out and down 49lbs.....I'm improving significantly with eating and drinking but still have that tight chest/throat pain feeling when eating.....it isn't as nearly as bad as it was weeks ago but still there....my surgeon says this is swelling and will go away after 3 months, but i can opt to have him do an outpatient procedure to dilate something( i forgot) he said if I'm that uncomfortable.....he'd rather have me wait another few weeks naturally.

Did anyone have this complaint after 3 months or this outpatient procedure?

Thank you

Shagdoll
on 4/10/13 1:54 am

You might still have some swelling so just try to take it easy.  You might be eating a little too much right now even though it's sooo much less than before surgery.  Anytime I overeat even now, I get that tightness in my tummy but I think it's a natural feeling now but it's not severe tightness as before and of course I can eat a lot more now at 20 months out. 

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Swiftkick00
on 4/10/13 2:01 am

Hi Shagdoll.....sooooo much less is right!  I just stare at the food I can't eat......nurse said my mind hasn't caught up with my stomach!

Shagdoll
on 4/10/13 2:04 am

It's a total trip, isn't it?  I mean for reals!  The first time I ate it was like 2 teeny spoonfuls of cottage cheese & I was like "WTH?!?!"  hahaha!!!  Um, totally different now so just take advantage of how little you can eat, it will benefit you in the long run.  Work that sleeve!!!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Swiftkick00
on 4/10/13 2:10 am

I can't stop laughing.....HILARIOUS....and sooo true

Jackie T.
on 4/10/13 2:00 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

Try taking smaller bites, eating slower and taking small sips.  You might feel that you are taking small bites now but go as small as a pencil eraser and see if you still have the same issues.

Hopefully it will clear up on its own!

good luck

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

Swiftkick00
on 4/10/13 2:06 am

That definitely helps and eases the pain especially with drinking but still there.....this a true life adjustment!

Ms Shell
on 4/10/13 2:54 am - Hawthorne, CA

The other advice you got was spot on I would also DECREASE the amount.  Not sure what stage you are on, but by 7 weeks I was on real food and I ate LITERALLY 1oz at a time of real food like meats.  It was about 1/4 (ie 2oz) of stuff like soups, yogurts.  And when I drank water I used a shot glass.  I kept a 16oz bottle of water, everywhere I went and poured it into a shot glass before I drank.  

Ms Shell

suzie2241
on 4/10/13 3:38 am
VSG on 11/02/12

Hi.  I had the same problem for a long time - probably about 3 months.  Most of it depended on WHAT I ate; there was a lot I had a hard time getting down; part of it was getting used to taking small enough bites and chewing it well.

It has gotten easier now that I am 5 months out.

Good luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 66 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 252 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 319 views