Approved...for July/August? So depressed

Christine O.
on 4/12/13 2:43 am - OR
VSG on 07/05/13

Yippee!  I got approved today.  But I'm really bummed that it appears I won't be getting surgery until July or August.  You know how it feels once you've finally decided you ARE going to do this, and you are ready to do it NOW? I made my decision in January. I have done great on the pre-op weight loss which everyone said was the part that would take the longest.  Not for me. What is taking forever is all these darn appointments. I had a tentative surgery date of May 3rd, but due to a ridiculous combination of every doctor in the universe taking vacation in March and April, they have been unable to get my endoscopy scheduled in time for the May date. I have an unavoidable work trip in early June, and my surgeon says no flying within 30 days or surgery, so it is May 3rd or later in the summer. 

I'm scared I will screw things up between now and July or August. That seems so far away!  And I really REALLY wanted to avoide surgery in the summer. It will be much harder on my family.

Gah!  I'm just so frustrated.  At my initial consult they assured me we could do everything in 3 months. Now it appears 6 would have been a better suggestion. I know for some people they have a process much longer than that, so I shouldn't complain. I'm just having a hard time with unmet expectations.

Thanks for letting me rant. Hopefully I'm still ready for this come August. 

HW 309 ~ SW 267 ~  GW 149 ~ Early pre-op: -28; 1 wk pre-diet: -14; M1: -21, M2: -15; M3: -16

Lisa1023
on 4/12/13 2:49 am
VSG on 03/05/13

anywhere else you can get the endoscopy done? 

HW  383     SW  371    CW   234     

Christine O.
on 4/12/13 2:55 am - OR
VSG on 07/05/13

We've called 3 centers in 2 cities and none of them can move fast enough. If we'd known a few weeks ago that there would be this problem, we certainly could have acted faster. Unfortunately my cariac test results sat on someone's desk for almost 2 weeks before they were read, and then when the endoscopy order was finally sent, it was 2 more weeks before they called to make the appointment, and they don't have space for 5 weeks because the docs are on vacation!

Maybe this is a good exercise for me in learning how to let go of control. Or something like that...

HW 309 ~ SW 267 ~  GW 149 ~ Early pre-op: -28; 1 wk pre-diet: -14; M1: -21, M2: -15; M3: -16

emelar
on 4/12/13 2:53 am - TX

I know it's a disappointment, and I'm sorry.  Big hugs!

But look on it as an opportunity to prepare - to start tracking your meals, to start eating protein first, to kick the refined carbs to the curb, to increase your fluid intake, to start exercising.  Basically, to start living your post-op life now so that it's already a habit by the time you get to surgery.  And July/August really isn't that far off.  Practically around the corner!

Christine O.
on 4/12/13 3:03 am - OR
VSG on 07/05/13

I just want to plant my face in a chocolate cake. 

Don't worry...I won't do it. I've already been working hard on controlling that problem. This might be the longest 3-4 months of my life though!

Somebody needs to give me a slap...I have so much to be thankful for (I was approved!) but I'm stuck on this disappointment today.

hollykim
on 4/12/13 4:40 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

Consider yourself slapped. NEVER and I mean NEVER,hang your hopes and expectations on anything or anybody in the medical field. Too many variables and too many things can cause delays. The medical field deals with HUMANS,not robots in an assembly line and I mean surgeons and staff people and patients alike. doctors deserve to take their families away for spring break too don't they?

I know you are ready NOW,but this in NOT,just about you,right?   Please know that things will happen when they happen and also know that this is said with all the understanding and kindness the internet can convey,k?

End of slap. :)

Jls8877
on 4/12/13 1:15 pm
Lol! I'm a nurse too.
gloria P.
on 4/12/13 3:28 am - Fayetteville , AR
VSG on 01/06/12
You will still be ready in July and August. Definitely start exercising now. At least doing weights. For some cardio is hard to get in the habit of at our size but leg exercises with ankle weights can be done and you will be glad you did it. Start now with small things and add them slowly and think where you will be in several months!!

Beth F.
on 4/12/13 3:58 am
VSG on 07/08/13

Christine,

I feel your pain - totally! Due to a work scheduling thing I am postponed until July, too. It sucks wanting to go ahead and do the surgery now and having to wait. Especially since I am wanting to learn/read/connect with people on OH, and reading about these incredible losses makes me feel so jealous!

Like someone else said, just focus on clean eating, exercising a little bit, and thinking positive thoughts about the future. You're almost there!!!

Good luck,

Beth

Ht: 5'2  HW: 310 (1/1/13)  SW: 268 (7/8/13) M1: -17  M2: -8  M3: -9 M4: -9 M5: -10 M6: -15 CW: 200

kellied77
on 4/12/13 4:08 am

I went through three different doctors trying to get my revision.  My first revision consult was one year ago.   My emotions were up and down, up and down.  Stress levels up and down as well.  About 3 months ago, I decided to just take it one day at a time and not focus on it.  Now my time is here!

The first doc said he would not do a revision the next said no problem, but the office staff said they thought insurance would deny me, so I went to the third doc, the first to actually look at my band and find out that it was slipped.  The past 3 months flew by and now I'm getting nervous about surgery on the 24th.........

It will be here before  you know it.  Just take it day by day.

"The things we fear are undefeatable, not by their nature, but by our approach"

VSG on April 24, 2013 / 36 years old, 5' 7"  M1:28 M2:11 M3:14 M4:6

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 258 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 324 views