Liquids...does kind matter

carebear7391
on 4/15/13 6:46 am - Wilmington, DE

OK.  I'm trying to get a handle on this and am back here on this site looking for assistance.  Does it happen to matter if I drink regular water, mix-ins, water with lemon or limes.  I'm not a HUGE fan of plain water and have a very hard time getting it in.  I can however drink the crystal light or other sugar free mix-ins.  That's what I have been living on since surgery, mix-ins.  Is this wrong??

Keith L.
on 4/15/13 7:06 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

My stance is Liquids = Water. Just plain old water is the best for you. Even if you hate it at least half or more of your liquids should be water. When you add stuff in or make tea out of it, it slows its ability to do its job which is to clean you out all the way down to the cellular level. Now that being said I do use Mixins a couple times a week for various reasons, like when I get a sweet tooth or a craving, that is a good way to get it in check or if I am having a hard time getting my water in for whatever reason.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

suzie2241
on 4/15/13 7:14 am
VSG on 11/02/12

I drink plain water. Mostly because the mix-ins bothered my digestive system. And I enjoy water. :)

I can't see there being any harm in adding lemon or lime to the water. I wouldn't only drink it with mix-ins. I would make that a once in a while thing.

I tried cucumbers in water - that was refreshing.

nmrudge
on 4/15/13 7:19 am - IL
VSG on 12/10/12

I can't remember the last time I had plain water.  I, like you, have been living on mix-ins since surgery.  Plain water may be best, but if your not going to drink it, stick with the mix-ins.  Point being, mix-in fluids are better than no fluids. 

Edit Delete

jen_vsg_4me
on 4/15/13 10:20 am - Iaeger, WV
VSG on 01/23/13

My dietician said that it is ok to use things like crystal light, etc. Don't add anything to your water that is going to raise the calorie content a lot.  (Because then you'll be drinking a lot of calories)

I think most people flavor their water, especially at the beginning when it is really hard to get your liquids in and you are used to drinking things with flavor (sodas)..  I don't think it is going to hurt you one bit to flavor your water... later on, when it is easier to get your  liquids in, and you are more used to making decisions based on your sleeve, you can decide to go to just plain water if you think it is better for you..

For me, I would like to stop flavoring my water and have tried but I still flavor it most of the time.  Right now, lemonade flavor is my favorite!!  Stick it in the freezer til it is slushy, and YUM!!

My youtube channel is http://www.youtube.com/user/ShrinkingJenn

Surgery Date: January 23, 2013

SuzaQue
on 4/15/13 11:02 am - Glendale, AZ
VSG on 04/06/13

I was told crystal light was fine but limit the amount of citrus as it could cause reflux.  I always use 20oz water for each crystal light otherwise they are too sweet.  I think it is a matter of taste.

Preop diet start  /VSG Surgery / Current / Goal
               286                 277            219       165

Lapband / Lowest wt LB unfilled because of problems

286                  250

Highest:     302

lucy2e
on 4/15/13 11:11 am - Laurel, MD

Some days are all water days for me.  Other days are all mint tea days for me - it's a mood thing and what is sitting well that day. I tend to do the same thing for several days in a row and haven't notice any difference on the water days vs the mint tea days

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

Kelly-AnneH
on 4/15/13 1:25 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
My dietitian says water is water, tea is water, coffee is water (no, it isn't a diuretic), broth is water, shakes are water, milk is water, almond milk is water...

Personally, the citrusy crystal light flavours give me killer reflux, but the others are dandy. Drink whatever sits well for you - avoiding empty crap calories, of course.

In a perfect world plain water would be delicious and we'd be eager to drink lots of it. In real life a lot of tap water doesn't taste great, and even some bottled waters aren't nice.(I'm looking at you, Dasani)

Do what you need to to get your fluids in.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

SophieNJ
on 4/15/13 10:23 pm - Parsippany, NJ
VSG on 03/05/13

I never thought of water/mix ins that way Keith - cellular level....hmmm, I will rethink my water habits, thank you!

My NUT told me it counts if plain water, or I make it with water (tea/coffe/crystal light)....RTD protein drinks didn't count...but I I mix with protein powder, it did count.    However, I will think twice since Keiths comments.

Sophie

HW 275 SW 246 CW 162.5  GW 150  ( 5'1"  Over 1 1/2 inch lost in the last few yrs! LOL) lost 50 lbs on my own, stable for 3 yrs, gained back 21 during year b4 surgery.

carebear7391
on 4/15/13 10:52 pm - Wilmington, DE

Thanks to everyone for giving feedback.  I am trying today to get in one glass plain water for each mix in I drink.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 163 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 438 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 458 views