Feeling Overwhelmed

missthingg
on 4/18/13 2:54 am - memphis, TN

OMG! I'm so excited, but I'm starting to feel overwhelmed. I'm moving this weekend to get closer to work to make my workouts more feasible. My liver shrink date is so close and I'm good with that, but it's AFTER the surgery that I'm worried about. I know the criteria for the vitamins, the amount of protein and to exercise, but everything else is where I feel overwhelmed. I see people talking about calories and carbs and sugar...Whew, then I'm trying to figure out what type of protein (Whey or soy or whatever) cause I just read about collagen protein and that's not good. I also don't know what brand of protein to get and how I will get it all in. I think it's just more so that I don't have a plan. I'm supposed to send this 3 day puree diet back to my dietician b4 surgery because this is what I'm supposed to eat after the days after the surgery, but I don't even know what to put on that. It's supposed to be 6 small meals per day, breakfast, lunch, dinner and 3 snacks. The food meals are supposed to be 4 ozs. Ughhhhh, I know I'll be okay once I get a good plan together, I think the problem is I don't really know where to start.

Mom4Jazz
on 4/18/13 3:10 am

It can be overwhelming, but if you saw all the panic posts from early pre-ops going 'OK I'm two weeks out, what can I eat?' you'd be thankful for all of this. I remember the pre-op period being stressful and the nerves of thinking about the surgery didn't help me...but you'll get through it. Hang in there.

I have no advice on purees. Just the idea of them sounded yucky so with my surgeon & NUT's permission I stayed on a liquid diet with several protein shakes until it was time to start soft foods.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

Jackie T.
on 4/18/13 3:12 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

BREATHE!!!!!!!!!!  It is going to be okay.  Take it one step at a time and line up what you need to do.  I use whey protein.  You can do RTD (ready to drink) or powders.  Stay away from Boost and Ensure, too much sugar and carbs.  Only get a few of anything because what you like before surgery will not necessarily be what you like after surgery.  Look through your information and remember back to what they have told you.  Everyone' diets are different before and after.  For example, I did not have 6 meals ever.  I also don't eat 4 oz.  After surgery you need to do the best you can to follow their recommendations but make sure you are getting your fluids in as they are very, very, important so you don't dehydrate.

You can do this!

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

suzie2241
on 4/18/13 3:25 am
VSG on 11/02/12

Didn't your dietician or surgeon provide you with a meal plan or meal plan sample?  I would think that they would.

I also found it overwhelming, which is where the meal plan given to me helped. I shopped for the items I would like on the list.

I assume the 4 oz are liquids? I drank water and protein shakes, sugar free ice pops for 2 weeks after; then onto soft and pureed foods for weeks 3-4.

Take small steps and deal with one week at a time in planning. If you try to figure out week 3 now, you'll go nuts.

Good luck. You'll do great!

missthingg
on 4/18/13 6:04 am - memphis, TN

Suzie I have so many papers from those nutrition classes. I'm just trying to dissect it all. There are 2 doctors in my office. 1 Dr has Week 1 liquids only Week 2 Soft foods Week 3 Pureed Foods. My Dr has Day 2 Clear liquids-sugar free Day 3 - week 6 Pureed Food 6 weeks Regular healthy choices.

I have to make my own meal plan and send it in. I just want a meal plan to follow or something for a little bit. But I did get a shopping list for pureed foods.

Deckeriv
on 4/18/13 6:38 am - TX
VSG on 03/26/13

Now I admit I don't worry about variety much but that's just the way I am. Here is my diet during puree.

Breakfast - Protein Shake mixed with water (GNC Total Lean 25 - Banana)

Lunch - Protein Shake mixed with water (GNC Total Lean 25 - Chocolate Peanut Butter)

Dinner - two tablespoons of fat free refried beans with salsa, or

a scrambled egg with a little low fat cheese and hot sauce, or

a chicken salad where I use canned chicken breast, a little low fat mayo, and jalapeno yellow mustard. I really shred up the chicken and mix everything up really good and chew very well. My tummy tolerates that pretty well.

Dessert - a sugar free popsicle

I do that every day and get about 600 calories and hit my carb and protein goals. And drink a lot of water. It doesn't have to be all that complicated.

800 calories and less than 20 net carbs is the shizzle

justpete
on 4/18/13 6:49 am
VSG on 04/02/13

really for the first week, you just need to worry about hydration.  if you can do some protein drinks in there, all the better.  You want the Whey ISOLATE powders.   that and walking and you are set.

I met with nurse this week, she really stressed not worrying about carbs or calories at this stage - jsut to keep them in check.  same for weight loss, told me to relax and jsut wait it out and pounds will drop.  i'm a pessimist i guess and dont quite believe her, so i'm incorporating some advice found here from vets re: carbs and calories.  just because i'm the kinda person that works better with set restraints.

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

Debra M.
on 4/18/13 1:38 pm - TX
VSG on 03/26/13
This is not a meal plan, but it is something I really like during my purée diet phase. I can eat about 3 ounces at a time, so 3 oz. Fage Greek yogurt, 1 packet Splenda, 1 or 2 tsp Torani sugar free raspberry syrup. Stir and eat. Awesome. Torani syrup can be purchased at World Market. My husband is on whole foods and adds blueberries. You will be surprised at the things you will find to eat. The other day I put a can of chicken chili through the vita-mix machine and my 3 ounces were wonderful.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 149 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 422 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 442 views