Food feels like it's sitting in my chest

Steph2013
on 4/23/13 12:29 pm - CA
VSG on 04/08/13

Ever since surgery I've felt like I've got food sitting in my chest. I can't tell if it's food, acid or gas. I even feel it when it's been a while since I've eating. It starts right after I eat and then lasts for several hours. It's like something is sitting right in my chest  - basically right in between my boobs is the spot I feel it? If I continue drinking water it gets better like it gets pushed down. Any ideas on what this is? I am taking a PPI and have been since my surgery. I feel like if I burp I will get a little bit of regurgitation, although that hasn't happened it's just a sensation I have. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

HW:260 SW: 253 CW: 213.6 

Tnull
on 4/23/13 1:00 pm

I still feel that way every time I eat.  Me surgeon says it is because my stomach is still swollen and "angry" his words.  I hope you feel better soon!

(deactivated member)
on 4/23/13 1:21 pm

What you describe is a fairly common symptom posted on the VSG board from people who are just post op. You are not alone in this!

It sounds as if you are eating just a little too much for your stomach's capacity right now. Your stomach is still swollen and has a very restricted capacity. I can remember it taking me about 1/2 hour to eat a 1/4 cup of cottage cheese during my puree/mushie stage. You might be eating a little too fast, as well. I know if I drink water to quickly - even now- I get that same feeling you describe. Basically, your poor stomach is a mess right now. It's angry and swollen and trying to heal. Eat really soft, easy to digest foods. Concentrate still on getting enough liquid in during the day and if eating is too much of an ordeal, stick to shakes for a while longer. There is no sense in advancing your food stages too quickly. You only have this time to heal once. I say don't pu****

If you are concerned, call your surgeon's office tomorrow. They may want you to come in for a check to make sure all is as it should be. It will put your mind at ease, at any rate.

Deckeriv
on 4/23/13 8:27 pm - TX
VSG on 03/26/13

Kairk nailed it. Your stomach is still swollen and you are probably eating too much and too fast. Slow down and let everything heal. It will be okay but you have to give it time.

800 calories and less than 20 net carbs is the shizzle

Jackie T.
on 4/23/13 11:06 pm - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

I just wanted to add also to make sure you are eating tiny, tiny, tiny bites of food.  Many describe it as the size of a pencil eraser.  This may sound ridiculous but it does make a huge difference.  Take a bite, put your fork down and let it work its way down.  Make sure you are also waiting at least 30 minutes after your last fluids and don't drink for at least 30 minutes after you finish eating.  I had this feeling and I still do if I gulp a lot of fluids or eat too big a bite of food.  In the beginning it is just about letting the swelling go down.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

JAlston
on 4/23/13 11:25 pm
VSG on 12/07/12

This only happened to me a couple times before I realized what was going on...it is not a good feeling. You are eating a little too much and or too fast. I started using my toddlers spoons so that I could relearn how to eat. It really helped to help me slow things down. Your tummy is so swollen right now that the smallest over bite will feel like it is stuck in your chest. Stop eating if it does, walk around. at that point it took me at least 30 minutes to eat and I was only eating 2-3 tablespoons of anything. 

Good luck, you will get the hang of it!

Jessica  

(HW: 305)  (SW: 271.9) (33.1 lbs lost prior to surgery) (MsJexi on MFP)

Steph2013
on 4/24/13 3:05 am - CA
VSG on 04/08/13

Thanks everyone for responding. I will definitely work on slower and smaller bites. I'm sure that is a huge part of what I'm feeling. I also get this feeling sometimes when I haven't eaten anything at all. For example, this morning before I ate anything I also had the feeling of something in my chest. Could that be acid reflux? Thanks so much for your help!

HW:260 SW: 253 CW: 213.6 

suzie2241
on 4/24/13 3:25 am
VSG on 11/02/12

Yes, it could also be reflux. I had it a lot my first several weeks. Definitely mention to your surgeon when you see him/her.

shrinking_sarah
on 4/24/13 3:37 am - CA

I had this issue also and it turned out I had been mistakenly taking my actigall (or whatever the drug is to prevent gallstones) on an empty stomach.  Apparently, you're supposed to take it with food.  Once I did that, the feeling subsided.  Just wanted to throw out another possible option.

Sarah, VSG Dr. Cirangle--12/28/12, HW: 265 SW: 253 GW: 130???

NEVERFORSAKEN
on 4/29/16 9:20 am
VSG on 03/24/16

it gets soo much better im post 5 weeks and it no longer happens unless i eat fast!  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 364 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 408 views